Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
kZYoQpzRvJcmQcHqIonT10l7DPcfJ2XarprZ567E-CS0NQlhXzax8kNgvU1kea5c4Q=w705

Google's 'Ingress' augmented reality game puts Android users into a battle against worldwide mind control

Augmented reality has long been an interest at Google — perhaps best seen in its Google Glass headset — but the company is taking that fascination in a new direction with the announcement of Ingress, a sci-fi AR game that will play out on your Android handset. Details are sketchy so far (fitting in with the game's mysterious, "fight the power" message), but it seems that users will collect "XM" (short for exotic matter) at various locations with their smartphone, and then spend that at other locations (known as portals) to unlock various missions. Portals will apparently be easily accessible public places; think libraries, museums, and the like. The conflict comes from two factions — you can either be part of the Enlightened (who wish to use the newfound power) or the Resistance (who fight against it).

All Things D spoke with John Hanke of Google's Niantic Labs (whose name features prominently in the game's trailer as a mysterious organization behind Ingress' events), who said the game's concept is "something like World of Warcraft, where everyone in world is playing the same game." Ironically enough (for a smartphone game), Niantic Labs is hoping that Ingress will get people out of their houses and out into the world — Hanke says you'll be like "a rat in a maze" tracking things on your phone, but you can also go back to your computer to review your overall progress. Given that Niantic's first release was the location-aware guidebook known as Field Trip, seeing another location-based project from the group isn't a huge surprise — though the implementation is definitely a new territory for Google. If this mystery piques your interest, you can sign up for an invite to the game's beta test now, though there's no word on when it'll be freely available.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/15/3649668/google-ingress-augmented-reality-game-beta

http://www.ingress.com/

Watch the Ingress Trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=92rYjlxqypM&noredirect=1

Solve the clues to get advanced tech/points at the Ninatic Project's Ingress website

http://www.nianticproject.com/

^^ Adjust the slider on the bottom to get to the daily clues/posts

I'm eagerly awaiting my activation code for the Beta.:D
If anyone had any doubts about what kind of features we can expect from Google Glass...you have a sample here. Google has also hired game designers/writers to populate the game daily with events and story-lines.

Also, Google being Google, this game will have tie-in's with businesses. No..there will be no ads. But gamers who go to those business locations (stores probably) will get XC points ( XC points are the "energy source" one has to collect in order to do in game actions. These XC are scattered around all over the place, and some..will naturally be inside stores which signed up with Google). The gamers who do go to those stores will get discounts. Google has already signed up some business and are about to sign up more.

I think this is a Genius Business plan by Google. Not only are they going to hook Millions of people into an AR game, but they are going to make people go to businesses often without showing a single Add. Businesses would gain because these people are not the people who look at an "ad" on the side of a website and do nothing..but are people who physically come to the stores!. if Google plays this card right(and also similar features/games in Google Glass), I can guarantee they stand to make Untold Billions of $. In fact this is probably the next generation of media/Social/marketing...Augmented Reality/Game/Shopping/life all merged into one...and Free.

I cant wait to get my code! and I look forward to Google Glasses even more!
Will you be the "Resistance" or the "Enlightenment" ;)

--------------------

Some Screenshots
Cu6KjmfopOTIEEhPyS-ovi2y5WAcI54K4RjtpsJ0m****5yzT37T31KMTuWTdqfVPNY
4m-mvBQPF82U1mdKXaP305qai0jy_WKTEJJPNkX82t7uFYndhfh-GFnWeDRNX1a3tgjO
PMN4qLuS3tnGRIbUyjpkpGfKm5fDp6PeTWnLFkgIG8jbNC18l2Q1j7HH7YMvI7gBcw
-9EguYLkhDNzfD_xMo60NBBjdprjXH-uyw6j89bnMuiGYvWvEKjyDJy9KQJknM--eLY
ZWImW0xG4ZCZpo9Uw5_1SIzm1j0x6POkUUooFXCCY-Fz-Byd45oTmmBx53HPutn54Qs
8TZbNIZ9icVWN_KEhhQLitGLsA5XemqTgFO38jSjTVot5v8kfBGVe0eog3lxMnISZOes
6CbIOxD_ck9fHeOYzBkZH_hky5X_gaFQaQaket06amG0c98iCn7v9Ol2-SimxMUlwpA
PIqD7F7jt3ieBBPwPOJNq2CO5DKiBNhgXbWIcfLOCCQialOWDVlxldmHWMOOxfBl-Bf5

Last edited:

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Watching the YT video got me all hyped up & I signed up. Hopefully, I get lucky & get in beta. I agree, this is a genius move by Google which I think will payoff tenfolds.

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
portal_discovered.png

^^ Seems like this is the first portal to be captured during the Beta phase

https://plus.google.com/+MoritzTolxdorff/posts/fwGVoQHAkDM
^^ link to source.

Apparently the progress of the game can also be monitored using computers/tablets (similar to Google Maps). But one has to be physically at the portal location to interact with it.For that one needs an Android phone/Google Glass.

The Help page for the Ingress game is up. Wow its much more deep and involved than I initially imagined. Not only we have to find/capture/defend/fight for, portals. but we have to keep them recharged and upgraded or they lose their charge 10% a day and eventually turn into neutral portals.

By hacking portals we can get "loot". Higher level portals yield higher level loot.

Upgrading portals progressively gets harder/more social.

for example

Upgrading a Portal

More powerful Resonators increase the power (and Level) of a Portal. You can upgrade Resonators with more powerful ones using the UPGRADE Portal action:

Select the Resonator you wish to upgrade from the rotating carousel
Select Upgrade to replace it with a more powerful (higher Level) one from your inventory
You can also selectively Recharge Resonators by choosing a certain Resonator and touching Recharge

AoSWepSfvEC2hbeRO5V9McGLAGlzkeiwJhQP7rfWXSCtUkSiMWKB0yO6QkehJPWDBxlN8Mg_3MD3MLj6MqvxQioJobI6hUlZCWBuM3IWFJK2f30C4Fb8

You can also deploy Shields from the Upgrade screen. Shields are obtained from Portals by Hacking, just like Resonators. Shields act as a defensive barrier on Resonators from XMP attacks. There are three levels of Shield, and up to four Shields can be deployed on a Portal. Shields show up as translucent domes over Portals in the Scanner view. Each incremental Shield has less defensive effect.

More info here
http://support.google.com/ingress

PS: Nice...seems like "portals' are going social by crowdsourcing potential portal spots.

New Portal Submissions

Help us fill out the play field by locating, photographing and submitting candidate Portals.

Steps to submit a candidate Portal:

Make sure your GPS on camera app is enabled (Open Camera > Settings > Store location > ON
Snap a photo with your Android phone with the standard camera app
Select the Share option for the photo
Share to Niantic Ops (with the Ingress logo)
Enter a proposed title for the Portal and touch OK.
This prepares an email to our Niantic Ops team with the photo and location of the object.
Send the email.
Our operations team will review the picture and object location and then add it to the game database if it meets our general criteria for Portals.

General Portal criteria:
Should be safe and accessible to the public
Example types of objects:
Statues
Unique architecture
Outdoor murals
Historic buildings
Special outdoor buildings
Unique local businesses

Decisions on whether or not a Portal will be accepted will occur within 2-3 weeks. Expect a Portal to go live 2-3 weeks after it is accepted.

Last edited:

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Watching the YT video got me all hyped up & I signed up. Hopefully, I get lucky & get in beta. I agree, this is a genius move by Google which I think will payoff tenfolds.

Yep. I think this is Google getting into next gen computing. Social/Mapping/Marketing/Discovery/Physical activities..they are all going to blend into one. This might be the next big thing.

+1 for getting lucky and snagging a beta invite. I'm in the same boat.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I signed up for the beta and hopefully receive my code. I wonder tho is it US only initially?

In any case, this looks amazing and is a genius business move by Google. This is definitely the sort of thing that Glass will need to kick off in full force and is also an excellent approach for Google to boost their advertisement business in mobile.

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I signed up for the beta and hopefully receive my code. I wonder tho is it US only initially?

In any case, this looks amazing and is a genius business move by Google. This is definitely the sort of thing that Glass will need to kick off in full force and is also an excellent approach for Google to boost their advertisement business in mobile.

Based on the screenshot of the first captured portal, I assume its available outside the US as well. The Screenshot shows part of Germany.

The help page mentions that this game is meant to be played around the world. So my guess is that they will start rolling out support to the rest of the world after a initial beta.

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
This game is Awesome!

Ok got the invite yesterday night (they are handing out invites to people once in a while over at Google + )

#ingress page at Google+ has a competition going where creative posters get invite codes :). Dont forget to tag your posts with the names of #ingress, #Niatic and +Brandon Badger so they get notified of your post.

This game is super awesome! I spent nearly two hours running around capturing portals..hacking..putting shields...fighting off enemy attacks.

Another awesome part is the ingress.com/intel map. It allows u to keep track of the identified portals(not the yet to be uncovered ones by either team), links and the status of your own portals. A nifty feature allows u to chat with people from around the world. You can filter it by faction or geographic location. For example if you have the "limit to visible map" option, you can only chat with people who live in the map area you are looking at. That feature is seriously cool. I can say..limit to people who live only a few blocks from me by zooming into that area...or zoom out to include more and more people.

This is probably the best Mobile game i have ever played.

Oh..also I joined the Resistance

stoptheenlightened.png

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
That is so, so awesome. I'll get myself an Android for a second phone if it's done well, which it sounds like it has been. Well done Google.

Can anyone who has received an invite comment as to how it works? Does each team receive a score based on how many areas they control, with the score being tallied up worldwide?

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Guys I have an invite code for this game. If one of you guys are really interested in playing this game, pls reply to this message and I'll pm the code. As I only have one code I'm gonna do first come first serve.

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Guys the Invite Code is still available. If you guys want to play this game and are looking for an invite, Reply to this post and ill Pm it.

That is so, so awesome. I'll get myself an Android for a second phone if it's done well, which it sounds like it has been. Well done Google.

Can anyone who has received an invite comment as to how it works? Does each team receive a score based on how many areas they control, with the score being tallied up worldwide?

I have been playing this for about a day and a half, and all I can say is that this game is awesome!. People are literally out at 3 Am in the night trying to take over/secure obscure resonators!. The game allows us to keep track of global progress/happenings in real time. The mobile app allows us to see only 300 meters in either direction cos that's the range of the devices "Scanner' (intentional game limitation for fun factor). However the Intel map (ingress.com/intel) can be accessed via a browser and its Google map with the game overlay. The Intel map allows us to view stuff anywhere in the world.

I love the built in Chat which allows u to talk to "All" or 'Faction". There is another feature that allows you to talk to/see posts from those who live in the map location you are viewing at the screen right now. This is an Awesome feature cos say for example i wanted to team up with some members of the "resistance" who live near me..then all i have to do is to zoom down in the map to say a block..or a few blocks(usually about 1 mile radius works best because not many people have the invites to play the Beta test version of this game) level and select the "Restrict to Map" option.Super awesome tool to gather a local team.

Btw here is the screenshot of the portals around Stanford.I'm planning to go and take out some of those Enlightenment(green) portals in an hour or two.

image.jpg

Last edited:

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
digital.l0gic - I'll take a code if u still have it. PM me. I'm getting my Nexus 4 on monday

Alex

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
digital.l0gic - I'll take a code if u still have it. PM me. I'm getting my Nexus 4 on monday

Alex

Hi kalex, I'm sorry i already gave it away a short while before your post.

However NiaticProject Google+ page, and the Google + page of Brandon Badger(a Niatic project/Google Employee) are still giving out the codes.

Especially Brandon Badger is giving out codes for creative posts... quite a few of them actually. I posted a lame-ass "creative" post and got my invite a couple of days ago.lol. I guess they just want to see you try something creative. Check it out

I hope you get lucky!. I wish I had more to give out.

Regards

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Hi kalex, I'm sorry i already gave it away a short while before your post.

However NiaticProject Google+ page, and the Google + page of Brandon Badger(a Niatic project/Google Employee) are still giving out the codes.

Especially Brandon Badger is giving out codes for creative posts... quite a few of them actually. I posted a lame-ass "creative" post and got my invite a couple of days ago.lol. I guess they just want to see you try something creative. Check it out

I hope you get lucky!. I wish I had more to give out.

Regards

Thanks

if anyone else has one please let me know

Thanks

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
If anyone has a free code, place hook up a fellow applerumors brethren.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I have been playing this for about a day and a half, and all I can say is that this game is awesome!. People are literally out at 3 Am in the night trying to take over/secure obscure resonators!. The game allows us to keep track of global progress/happenings in real time. The mobile app allows us to see only 300 meters in either direction cos that's the range of the devices "Scanner' (intentional game limitation for fun factor). However the Intel map (ingress.com/intel) can be accessed via a browser and its Google map with the game overlay. The Intel map allows us to view stuff anywhere in the world.

I love the built in Chat which allows u to talk to "All" or 'Faction". There is another feature that allows you to talk to/see posts from those who live in the map location you are viewing at the screen right now. This is an Awesome feature cos say for example i wanted to team up with some members of the "resistance" who live near me..then all i have to do is to zoom down in the map to say a block..or a few blocks(usually about 1 mile radius works best because not many people have the invites to play the Beta test version of this game) level and select the "Restrict to Map" option.Super awesome tool to gather a local team.

Btw here is the screenshot of the portals around Stanford.I'm planning to go and take out some of those Enlightenment(green) portals in an hour or two.
Sounds awesome. So does a member of a team need to be near a portal in order to retain control of it? Is it when they're undefended that you can go and take control of it for your team?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I got an activation code but I'm waiting on my Nexus 4 so I can start playing it on that. I'm not sure if it's linked to the device or just your gmail account but the Nexus 4 should be here tomorrow so I can wait till then.

----------

If anyone has a free code, place hook up a fellow applerumors brethren.

Did you try requesting one from their website? Didn't take them long till they emailed me back. 6 days assuming I requested it on the day of when this thread was started.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
I haven't played yet, but looking at the reviews I think it's a awesome game. I haven't seen so many reviews for a "closed-beta" game before this. The idea looks very interesting. Whoever has played the game, do write back about your experience.
There is some suggestion that google might be using the data collected from the game for improving walking directions(!). If it's true, not a bad idea I say.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
I'm planning on playing some this week since I have a few days off. Hopefully I don't run into any problems (other than people staring at me like I'm crazy) since I'll be using a N7 and not a smart phone.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm planning on playing some this week since I have a few days off. Hopefully I don't run into any problems (other than people staring at me like I'm crazy) since I'll be using a N7 and not a smart phone.

I'm not sure if it works or not but in the Google play page it mentions its optimised for phones not tablets.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353930235599.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353930235599.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 154

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
This looks awesome! Wish I would get my invite.

If anyone knows how to speed it up, do post. Or PM me if you have a spare invite you might part with :).

Mike

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
This looks awesome! Wish I would get my invite.

If anyone knows how to speed it up, do post. Or PM me if you have a spare invite you might part with :).

Mike

My friend requested one and got it the next day.

Just went on the first training mission!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353945709107.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353945709107.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 196

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I can't be the only one who has no idea what this is lol

I'm kind of clueless. From what I'm gathering it looks kinda like a real life version of capture the flag but with actual locations.

I think it looks cool but there is no way I could dedicate those kind of resources to a game. Lol

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm kind of clueless. From what I'm gathering it looks kinda like a real life version of capture the flag but with actual locations.

I think it looks cool but there is no way I could dedicate those kind of resources to a game. Lol

ok that is what I was thinking...at least from the "dedicating resources standpoint." It looks like a full time job haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.