Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Lol. No, but seriously the way Jony Ive talks in the commercial...he's setting a very high standard for this phone so people expect them to deliver. Remember to bash the idiots at Foxconn too not just Apple. If only Foxconn was a German factory. I don't think I've ever seen anything of bad quality coming out of Germany but since Apple is American...it's Made in China of course. I remember back in the 80s when Nike was Made in USA. Now THAT was quality unlike today. In other words America is the birthplace of capitalism and capitalism = max profit baby with 0 investment. I remember when Germans wanted to boycott a German company who wanted to move its factory to China so the factory stayed. I think we'll see a breed of flying pigs before we'll see the next Apple product designed in California and made in the USA.

I agree, Ive does set the bar pretty high when he talks about the built quality of these phones.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
Agreed 100% I can't believe the stupidity of the idiots at Foxconn who allowed obviously damaged full of nicks and scuffs to make their way into retail boxes.

If anyone is to be blamed its Foxconn overworking their quality control people or not hiring/paying them enough. The assembly line workers...I pity them for how hard they work for so little pay.

PeterKG

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
Guys, I went through about 16 iphone 5 32gb Black at my local Apple store and Apple store Online the last two months.
8 phones had Dead/Stuck Pixels.
3 phones had Scuffs.
4 phones had Dust under the screen.
Week 45 Built iPhone has no problems at all only purchased this week.

What funny is had no problems with my ipad 4 at all.

How were you able to get a week 45 build replacement? I too have gone through many including a new retail box shipped from China, and every one of them has been a week 36-38 build. All started with F2 factory. I think this is when Apple built all the white box replacements and still hasn't depleted them.

It is disgusting that they have such horrendous quality. The fact that they ask zero questions and replace without hassle is proof they know it too. With a hold on a credit card it takes about a week each time to get a replacement, return, receive, and have to hold removed.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Just bought a refurb and it will be interesting to see if AT&T simply tries to resell the same defective phones or if they somehow manage to repair whatever the issue was.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
All you people telling the OP that he is OCD or needs to seek medical help, needs your head examined. How is it acceptable to buy any product that is defective?

If my friend and both buy new car speakers and his sound better than mine and go louder does that mean I should settle for mine? Of course not.

There is nothing wrong with exchanging phones until you get a perfect one. I went through at least 15 iPhone 4S's. My head is fine and I live a perfectly normal happy life.

I will not accept a blemish or scuff on any product unless its part of the design.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Actually that's how apple is making money. If 99.9% of people don't notice, then they take the ones you don't like and resell as refurbs, and 99.9% of those people don't complain, they still make a ton of money.

Right...because those 99.9% of people buying refurbs are expecting some sort of flaws... because there refurbs..

I agree with the OP, a new product should be flawless, not all scratched up. With that being said, Personally, knowing that the scuffing was a problem on alot of the phones, I would have just lived with it until something more serious arose.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
There is nothing wrong with exchanging phones until you get a perfect one. I went through at least 15 iPhone 4S's. My head is fine and I live a perfectly normal happy life.

I stoped reading your post ^^ right here...15?! your argument has just become white noise....
Any sensible person would simply bypass the phone all together before getting to that point and go with another manufacture..

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I stoped reading your post ^^ right here...15?! your argument has just become white noise....
Any sensible person would simply bypass the phone all together before getting to that point and go with another manufacture..

Ok?

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
Meh, i wouldn't give up. I will manage my time and exchange it till i get what i want. Just like when i lend someone my money, i make sure they pay back. No excuse.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Meh, i wouldn't give up. I will manage my time and exchange it till i get what i want. Just like when i lend someone my money, i make sure they pay back. No excuse.

Exactly, why stop exchanging the phone when there are ones out there who are flawless. I am glad I didn't stop because I finally got a perfect 5. No cosmetic flaws whatsoever.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If anyone is to be blamed its Foxconn overworking their quality control people or not hiring/paying them enough. The assembly line workers...I pity them for how hard they work for so little pay.

The assembly line workers are actually well-paid in their area. You can't compare their pay to our pay.

I don't believe it's Foxconn overworking their quality control people. They intentionally allowed obviously damaged iPhones full of nicks and scuffs to slip past QC in order to meet the heightened demand. If they did the right thing, they would've fallen short of Apple's demand (at the time) but a majority of predamaged iPhones would not have made their way into retail boxes. In other words, they screwed us (and took Apple by surprise in doing so).

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
My sleep/wake button rattles sometimes....that is seriously not a good reason to return a phone....the button is aluminum not steel so it's quite a bit lighter and will shake.....the phone being damaged right out of the box is understandable but other things like that is just plain crazy

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
the phone being damaged right out of the box is understandable but other things like that is just plain crazy

It's the opposite. Uncommon defects such as defective sleep/wake or home buttons are understandable, but the phones coming out of the box full of nicks and scuffs are absolutely not acceptable. The former is more difficult to catch during QC but nicks and scuffs are staring at you right in the face.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

did you then just flip that perfect 4S for comparative chunk change relative to gas and time spent?

I went through like 7 or 8 ipad 3's and I was very close to giving up. That was my upper limit on getting one with a great screen and even then what a tremendous hassle. I feel like i should hold onto this device forever now. Even if it does feel heavy after fiddling with a mini and inconvenient at times

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
It's the opposite. Uncommon defects such as defective sleep/wake or home buttons are understandable, but the phones coming out of the box full of nicks and scuffs are absolutely not acceptable. The former is more difficult to catch during QC but nicks and scuffs are staring at you right in the face.

You just repeated what I said?
Understandable why he is exchanging it

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Guess I misread. Thought you said iPhones being damaged out of the box is understandable but a defective sleep/wake button isn't.

Damaged items right out of the box isn't acceptable in any circumstance even more so with apple because a lot of people specifically buy their products for the superior build quality so this is probably making a lot of those people second guess apple now

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
This has nothing to do with OCD. If you're not satisfied with the premium product then you should have it replaced. I find it unforgivable that it can take up to 15 devices before you get a perfect, at least 99% of them should be in perfect condition.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
All you people telling the OP that he is OCD or needs to seek medical help, needs your head examined. How is it acceptable to buy any product that is defective?

There is nothing wrong with exchanging phones until you get a perfect one.

If it's once, twice, three times, maybe not. But at 5+ exchanges, there's plenty wrong with it. It's been said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, expecting a different result. Beyond a significant number of repeated exchanges, I think it's safe to say that the odds of getting a product that meets your expectations is extremely low, much less 15 (I think you either got extremely lucky, or you somehow convinced yourself finally that the 15th iPhone 4S you got was "good enough" for you).

You can blame this on OCD, or you can blame it on Apple being mediocre. But regardless of what you want to blame it on, the facts are pretty clear that at least right now, getting an iPhone that meets the OP's expectations isn't in the cards, and his options are to either stick with his previous phone, get some other model, or resign himself to the idea that having a "flawed" phone is outweighed by whatever investment in the iOS platform he may already have. Perhaps he can try his luck again in a few weeks, when the currently "flawed" inventory has sold and new stock is in. But repeatedly going back now seems to be a fruitless endeavor.

I personally would've given up a lot sooner than 5 exchanges and demanded a refund if I wasn't happy by then. I've just got better things to do.

Even further, if the OP goes back for the next iteration of iPhone, and is equally "disappointed," that's on him, not Apple. His experience with the iPhone 5 should have been more than fair warning that perhaps Apple's quality control is not good enough for the OP's money, and he needs to take a hard look at the other choices out there.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
If it's once, twice, three times, maybe not. But at 5+ exchanges, there's plenty wrong with it. It's been said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, expecting a different result. Beyond a significant number of repeated exchanges, I think it's safe to say that the odds of getting a product that meets your expectations is extremely low, much less 15 (I think you either got extremely lucky, or you somehow convinced yourself finally that the 15th iPhone 4S you got was "good enough" for you).

You can blame this on OCD, or you can blame it on Apple being mediocre. But regardless of what you want to blame it on, the facts are pretty clear that at least right now, getting an iPhone that meets the OP's expectations isn't in the cards, and his options are to either stick with his previous phone, get some other model, or resign himself to the idea that having a "flawed" phone is outweighed by whatever investment in the iOS platform he may already have. Perhaps he can try his luck again in a few weeks, when the currently "flawed" inventory has sold and new stock is in. But repeatedly going back now seems to be a fruitless endeavor.

I personally would've given up a lot sooner than 5 exchanges and demanded a refund if I wasn't happy by then. I've just got better things to do.

Even further, if the OP goes back for the next iteration of iPhone, and is equally "disappointed," that's on him, not Apple. His experience with the iPhone 5 should have been more than fair warning that perhaps Apple's quality control is not good enough for the OP's money, and he needs to take a hard look at the other choices out there.

qft

retinarob

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
VA
So paying 900 dollars for something that should be flawless means nothing?

Nice input "fanboy"

I hope you get a flawless one and drop it in the parking lot. Not only drop it, but also, as you step forward, kick it.

EDIT: I just don't like people like you.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
If nothing else, buying a $900 phone you would except it to have no scratches or defects. There's no denying that Apple's QC is absolutely terrible.

retinarob

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
VA
If nothing else, buying a $900 phone you would except it to have no scratches or defects. There's no denying that Apple's QC is absolutely terrible.

I am denying that it is "absolutely terrible". Let's all make more generalized blanket statements!

Show a copy of all of your Apple work orders OP. You get one even if they don't do anything except swap it. Then, take your work orders to an "on your side" consumer watchdog and get it published. And if you ordered it online, let's see some shipping numbers/emails/communications etc. You don't just get my sympathy by whining about it, and you obviously care about everyone's pity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.