Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
they have to buy the rights to use iTV as its a television company in the UK and around the globe

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
And woe be to any company that wants to use "Earth", "Wind", or "Fire" as part of their naming schemes. Those are the intellectual property of a certain band from the 70's, under license from Aristotle, Inc (a subsidiary of Empedocles, Corp).

Ah but do they have "earth" "wind" and "fire" trademarked or just "earth wind and fire" trademarked? Big difference as you know.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Apple also acquired the "Thunderbolt" trademark from the Greek god, Zues.

(Even though I hate all this patent/trademark wars, at least Apple plays by their own rules)

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
I am a longtime Harley owner (before it was the yuppy thing to do) and I have no idea of what HD ever used the Lightning name for.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The real question is why did Harley-Davidson trademarked under "Toys and Games."

Some kind of trademark reform is in order, but they need to fix the current patent system first.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
The iBike

It will be slender and light weight, run on kool-aid, need three adapters to put air in the tires,
returned to Apple to replace the battery and only go to Starbucks and Apple stores.

yamahaY125.jpg

Moopy Sac

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
I am a longtime Harley owner (before it was the yuppy thing to do) and I have no idea of what HD ever used the Lightning name for.

Are Harley Davidsons now a yuppy thing? I know they've long been associated with mid-life crises, but didn't know they've moved down the age brackets.

rdb1976

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
The Buell X1 Lightning was in production from 1999-2002. Harley-Davidson was the majority shareholder in Buell from 1998 until H-D shut them down in 2009. It would make sense that H-D would own the trademark for the name. They could market merchandise with the model's name on them as well.

Also, H-D absolutely sells & licenses their logos and trademarks on items such as eyeglasses and video games. To say that these items "would have nothing to do with Harley-Davidson" is inaccurate.

2002-Buell-LightningX1.jpg

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
"The transfer appears to have been required because of Harley-Davidson's ownership of the trademark under Class 28, which includes toys and games."

Yes...this just reinforces the fact that iOS devices are just toys and games, if you really want to get anything useful done, that is what a real COMPUTER is for...iPads and iPhones and iPods = iToys!!

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
What a weird trademark for a motorcycle company to own.

Right, just like "Apple" is a weird trademark for a computer company which it had to purchase from the Beatles music publisher or "Macintosh" which it had to purchase from the top-end sound system manufacturer.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The Buell X1 Lightning was in production from 1999-2002. Harley-Davidson was the majority shareholder in Buell from 1998 until H-D shut them down in 2009. It would make sense that H-D would own the trademark for the name. They could market merchandise with the model's name on them as well.

Also, H-D absolutely sells & licenses their logos and trademarks on items such as eyeglasses and video games. To say that these items "would have nothing to do with Harley-Davidson" is inaccurate.

The first sensible post I've read this entire thread.

Understands trademark limitations (a Ford F-150 is not the same class as iPads/motorcycles), understands why Harley owns the Lightning trademark (through Buell) and understands why Harley owns the lightning trademark in the "toys and games" class (merchandising).

Bravo sir. If every poster on this forum were like you, threads wouldn't last passed page 1.

----------

Am I the only one who is sick of trademarks for words other than company names?

I'm not. I wouldn't want the whole shelve of razor blades to say "Mach 3" everywhere and have to hunt down those made by Gilette by inspecting each box individually.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I'm not. I wouldn't want the whole shelve of razor blades to say "Mach 3" everywhere and have to hunt down those made by Gilette by inspecting each box individually.

But at least across industries you shouldn't have this problem..

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
If things go wrong here it won't be settled in court. It well be settled in the middle of no where with a bunch of bikers hahahha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.