Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I have noticed a lot of positive reactions to this game series, especially the finale is supposed to be very intense and satisfying.

Anyone played it? Is it the emotional ride everyone makes it out to be? Can the whole "decisions and consequences" concept be compared to Mass Effect?

I'll likely pick this up as a complete package in retail at some point. Just curious to hear some opinions from the people I trust. ;)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
This is my favorite game of the year. It was more a visual novel than a game. Visual Novel is more often associated with Japanese games that play more like the old Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books. None of the decisions actually have a huge impact, in fact most of the decisions diverge the game only slightly and then reunite you with the "straight" path a bit later. But that's not important in my opinion. They feel like they have impact. That's important. I knew this the whole game and even still kept thinking "I wonder what would happen if I had gone the other way", knowing full well I would ultimately be where I was anyway.

There are slight variations on the ending, but nothing major. It's rare that a game makes you care about characters and this one did. A few things didn't make sense in the context of my prior decisions but I think this is true of most games.

It was certainly enjoyable to play through. I won't play it again to see what might have happened because what did happen is my story. The game is about dialogue choices and how those change others perceptions of you. It's a different genre people aren't used to and I appreciate it for that. It's not a perfect game but it's unique enough to stand apart.

Telltale's prior games were more point and click adventure than visual novel. Telltale did a wonderful job on this one and I hope they make more and improve in this genre that's newer outside of Asia.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I have noticed a lot of positive reactions to this game series, especially the finale is supposed to be very intense and satisfying.

Anyone played it? Is it the emotional ride everyone makes it out to be? Can the whole "decisions and consequences" concept be compared to Mass Effect?

I'll likely pick this up as a complete package in retail at some point. Just curious to hear some opinions from the people I trust. ;)

I have it on the PS3, not played the last episode yet but so far I've been really engrossed in the game and the way the path of the game takes based on what you say and do with and to others is really impressive. There are characters that you will like and there are some that p**s you off no end a guy named Kenny keeps annoying no end in the game but there hasn't been a chance to kill him or let him die just yet.

I would defo recommend this game and I can see them making more series in the near future, but I'm not 100% if they will bring it out for retail distribution.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah bought the full season pass on PS3. I have played and finished episodes 1 & 2 but then grew disinterested and haven't bothered even downloading the three remaining episodes...

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
It's on sale this week for €15, so I think I'm gonna pick it up!

Just not sure when I'll get around to playing it, what with Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Mass Effect 1, Arkham City, Borderlands, Dead Space 2, Journey, Limbo etc. still waiting to be finished! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I downloaded the first episode for free and played for a good hour yesterday. Really enjoying it, good characters and good voice acting. Love the graphic style!

I wish it didn't have a little timer to choose dialogue options. In the Mass Effect series, I would always discuss with my g/f which choices to make, what to say, etc. That was fun. Here, it doesn't really give us time to do that, and she can basically just watch as I make a quick choice. Not as fun for a joint experience.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Its alot of fun. My wife watched me play most of it and she loved the story. Highly recommend this. Xbox live had it half off during xmas week, maybe they will run a sale again soon?

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I've played a couple episodes and lost interest when the ending was spoiled for me. It seems pretty good though, but its not on the same level of mass effect. Even though I thought mass effect still left me wanting. This game is very linear. You go down your path and get a option A or B when it comes to game making decisions. The path will be only slightly different typically. The impact is still fun and the story is really grasping. I never finished it though.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
The game got me watching the TV series for the first time. Whilst I still watch the TV series the game did it far better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.