Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hgiordanelli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2008
When I am traveling overseas I need to connect to Sites that require an US IP address. How can I handle this? Is there a free solution to this?
Thanks

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
You can try Hot Spot Shield (hotspotshield.com). Make sure you're not violating the terms of service of Hot Spot Shield or of the website you want to visit outside the US.

Macerizer

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Changing to a U.S. based IP address..

The only way to do this is through a proxy server which routes your Internet traffic through a server in the location of your choice (e.g. United States).

Although free proxies exist, they are nearly impossible to find, especially if you want to get ssl connections. The options are:

1) Rent your own server in the U.S. and set it up as a proxy server.

2) Use a private proxy service, such as http://www.iprivacytools.com -- there are others, but I've used them and know that they have U.S. based connections.

For anyone reading this that wants to change their IP but not necessarily to another country, check out http://change-my-ip-address.blogspot.com/

Happy surfing!

badman89

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
I don't think you should rely on any service that claims to be "free" because frankly, they all suck. This is the best advise I can give you. Trust me, I've been through this whole process (my aim was to watch Netflix from outside the US).

Coming to paid services, your best bet is to pay for a VPN service (these will cost anywhere between $5 and $15 per month but many will even give you a free trial for one month). I suggest you go to this site where you can read reviews of various VPN providers and pick which one is best for you.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Tunnelbear is a free VPN. It has a limit of 500 mb for each account you have. It works flawlessly. There's not setting up. Just download the app to your mac. Login with an account and turn the switch to VS and the other one on "on".

If you want more that 500 mb, you can ask them on twitter or just make another account.

fishboy99

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
Excellent easy advice

tunnelbear is a free vpn. It has a limit of 500 mb for each account you have. It works flawlessly. There's not setting up. Just download the app to your mac. Login with an account and turn the switch to vs and the other one on "on".

If you want more that 500 mb, you can ask them on twitter or just make another account.

this works and is easy. Everyone who doesn't have an answer - shut up!
If you hit your free quota you can also use: Hotspotshield...

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
While people have listed a number of free proxies, they're generally very slow as lots of people use them and most of them use them to download illegal content making speeds crawl. I know you want a free option but you'll do best to spend a couple bucks on a paid proxy service where you'll get good speed and added security too.

fatima101

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
IP conflict

Hi there! Free IPs are not as such long lasting and the problems create while using them. Same happened to me and then my brother guided me for proxy rental. I was not agreed at first attempt because it is rather costly but to get something, you have to lose something. Check it once and solve your problems permanently.

dbender

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
What about setting up your own VPN server stateside, and connecting to it, rather than a commercial service, from overseas? I don't know much about VPN, but it seems like you could share your stateside IP address from your ISP to the remote location that way. And a home router running DD-WRT or Tomato should be able to provide that service through its OpenVPN server capability?

Duane

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: home VPN...

What about setting up your own VPN server stateside, and connecting to it, rather than a commercial service, from overseas? I don't know much about VPN, but it seems like you could share your stateside IP address from your ISP to the remote location that way. And a home router running DD-WRT or Tomato should be able to provide that service through its OpenVPN server capability?

Duane

Thanks Duane for suggesting this.

While there are many commercial free and paid VPN services available, as others have pointed out, some of these do have drawbacks.

Running your own VPN server is an alternative that works well, as long as the hotel where you are staying allows VPN out and your ISP allows VPN in ... most do -- although I did stay once at a hotel that didn't allow VPN out which caused many business people attending the conference headaches until this was solved. Not only that, but if you use no-ip.com (or dyn.com or any other the other Dynamic DNS services) to obtain an Internet FQDN, then you won't even have to remember your IP address, just your assigned DNS name. And if you are running Mac OS X Server on your home computer, then configuring the VPN server is easy and if provides configuration profiles that you can e-mail to any client's machine, including yourself, for automatic setup of the VPN client. You then VPN into your home server from anywhere on the Internet and web browse from your home IP address. Another advantage of this is any resources you have on your home LAN are also available to you from anywhere on the Internet through VPN, such as your data files, databases, reports, papers, etc.

Regards,
Switon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.