Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Welcome to this week's photo contest!

Theme: Mechanical

Rules:.

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
1906%20Stationary%20Steam%20Engine-XL.jpg

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Ok, the contest is closed. I'm a little late getting to it but I will work on the judging now.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Keleko - It's beautiful to the point of being almost unreal. I don't mind HDR but it's not something that usually interests me. I will say the HDR-iness ;) is just about perfect here. The feel is perfect for the subject. My only complaint is that it's almost too much. With the pop of the HDR and the sheer amount of "stuff" to look at it's hard to settle on anything. Amazing job though.

AlexH - Wonderful depth of field. Great setup and angle on the camera. I think the wood tones and the greens and oranges compliment the photo perfectly. I like the coffee cup in the back. I think it adds to the image. I wonder if a off white or another color might have worked better. The bright white draws my eye but still I really like the shot.

acearchie - Very nice. Nice staging and a nice sharp image. I like the gradation in the white background. My only complaint is that it seems to be somewhere in between a product shot and an art shot but I can't tell if it's one or the other.

jodelli - Awesome looking train. It's too bad you couldn't take this pic outside on a track. I like the composure but of course the column gets in the way. Not much you could do about that. It's a little blasted out on the front of the train. I sure would have liked to have seen it in it's natural environment.

milbournosphere - Part of a wind tunnel maybe? The inlet looks a little deep to be on an actual aircraft. Hard to tell because that's a small first stage fan if that's what this is. Cool concept for a photo. The thing that is distracting is the bright sunlit section on the lower right. The coolest thing is what seems to be the reflection on the bottom of the inlet.

Cheese&Apple - Very nice. Very rich black and white shot and kind of classic. I like the composure. You did catch your self in the cover but that's not that obvious.

butch10x - Double overhead cam inline 4? A motorcycle engine? I love the double timing chain. That's the coolest part of the shot. I think I would like to see the depth of field go a bit deeper to see more of the internals.

someoldguy - Some old car? An MG with a inline 4. The dual carbs are cool. Looks like there's enough room in that tiny engine bay for a inline 6. The negative, of course, is the huge shadow cast on the lower part of the photo. Maybe from an on camera flash?

sflarc51 - NIce and bright. I like the idea of focusing on the foot peg. It's sharp and clearly the subject. The depth of field works here so we don't focus really on the motorcycle. Even though it's blurry I'm guessing this is not a cheap bike at all.

imacwannabe - Some kind of steam driven tractor or maybe a train? Looks pretty cool. I'm not sure about the straight on shot and the light is a bit harsh here.

seattle - I'm actually having fun guessing what everything is. Inside of a newer front loading washing machine? You executed the shot very well and it's lit very well. I guess since it's centered I want the three arms to be lined up on top and bottom. That's just a me thing probably.

fireman32 - I wish I had one of my grandfathers old amps. He would blast classical music in the living room at ungodly volumes. The old amps sounded great though. I like the idea and the warm glow of the lamp. If this is yours I'd keep working with this image. The depth of field and the reflections/blurriness of the large tube is kind of messing with me.

ijohn.8.80 - Very cool. The colors all compliment the image well. I like the composure and the angle on the toy. I might have moved it over a bit into a third but it still works well like it is. It's kind of a fascinating image to look at and I could see the subject (the toy) as part of some series in an exhibition.

Kinda in a hurry here. I'm supposed to be helping decorate the tree….

3rd Place - seattle

2nd Place - ijohn.8.80

1st Place - AlexH

Great job AlexH. I really like the overall feel and execution of the image. It's over to you for the next one!

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Congrat's AlexH, a great picture! I love the rich darkness of the wood and the leather texture. Nicely framed and focused too. I like that it's not tying to be a product shot, it's a camera out in the field on a coffee stop. Well done again and I'm looking forward to your challenge for us all.

JDDavis thank you for the kind words. I toyed with the idea of moving it over to the left a bit, but felt it would be too closed off in front as a result. I used to have a plethora of these as a kid, my nephew has them all now, except for this one.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Congrats to AlexH , and the others . Yup , the shadows in my pic were indeed from an on-camera flash (from a 50D) . The image was taken to document where I am in the (neverending) restoration and I entered it on the spur of the moment . The car is a '61 MGA that I picked up for 300 bucks back in the 1970's
might be tough to drop a straight 6 into it . Once you factor in the need for a radiator/oil cooler , things get real tight,real fast , although MG managed to hammer a 6 into the MGB , thus making the scarce MGC which only lasted 2-3 years.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Thanks everyone! I'll try to have the new contest up sometime tonight! Great shots this week.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Well done JDDavis...thank you! Congrats AlexH...beautiful shot.

Keleko, I've come back to your shot a number of times trying to figure-out what it is. I'm not even sure of the size of this (thing?) as I don't have a sense of scale. The nuts and bolts provide a clue to scale but they can be deceiving.

Very interesting shot with amazing detail - care to share...what is it? :)

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Keleko, I've come back to your shot a number of times trying to figure-out what it is. I'm not even sure of the size of this (thing?) as I don't have a sense of scale. The nuts and bolts provide a clue to scale but they can be deceiving.

Very interesting shot with amazing detail - care to share...what is it? :)

I'm fascinated by this pic , too . I'm betting that it's an old printing press that's in a museum somewhere's . Whatever it is I'd like to see it running . Hope an answer's forthcoming . Inquiring minds want to know.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I'm fascinated by this pic , too . I'm betting that it's an old printing press that's in a museum somewhere's . Whatever it is I'd like to see it running . Hope an answer's forthcoming . Inquiring minds want to know.

Here's the information about the steam engine from the museum.

"This engine saved money by using its steam twice, first in one cylinder, then in a second. Such machines were known as "compound" engines. Between 1890 and 1925 hundreds of similar engines were built to power factories all over the country. This engine ran a flour mill in Monroe, Michigan."

And in a fun coincidence, the steam engine in my shot is from the same museum as jodelli's train. It is in the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn, MI. I recognized the train as soon as I saw the shot because I have a shot of that train, too.

----------

Ive got some great shots for this theme, but not taken this week :(

It doesn't matter when you take the shots. The "weekly" part is just how long you have to submit a picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.