Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
This is my main concern in keeping mini.

I personally don't think next mini will be full blown retina anyways.

But if 2 gets it, I'm worried about being stuck with 1 because of lowball offers.

My 3 retina is so uncomfortable to hold in the air and the size is nice at times but overkill at others. But that screen...
(As has been indicated many times before)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've wondered this and what I think (I do not own a mini) is that resale will be lower than what we're accustomed to seeing with our previous iPads but even the iPads that were non-retina fetched a fair amount. This forum breeds people who need the best and most up to date; not everyone is on board with this theory.

You can and will be able to resell. I would imagine your loss could be in the 30-35% range whereas it would be 20-25% if the next iPad mini isn't retina. I only say this because that is exactly what I would pay and what discount I'd expect if I bought the 1 over the 2.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes. iPad 1's still re-sell just fine even though we're up to the 4th generation. 2s without retina are still sold too (AS CURRENT products): http://store.apple.com/us/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad2

People are not all so hung up about retina vs. non-retina as implied here. To many, an iPad (any model) is an iPad (any other model). Someone will likely be interested enough in a non-retina mini to buy it from you. No old working Apple technology becomes unsellable because a "latest & greatest" version comes out.

That said, of course, what you get out of it is probably actually your question. How much depreciation will occur? No way to know that one other than letting it all play out and see what the market is at the time. You could follow the rumors to get a sense of when a retina is likely to hit, then sell yours before it officially launches. Apple has a hard time keeping many secrets anymore. I doubt a retina mini will be a surprise even 30 days before it is publicly unveiled. Sell in that 30-day window to maximize whatever you can get out of it.

One more thing: if you have to be one of these "latest & greatest" guys (or retina just matters enough to you), think of the depreciation as the rent you pay to use the non-retina "1" until the retina arrives. If we assume an update in one year and it loses- say- $120 in value between now and then, you rented use of a brand new mini for only $10/month. If it lost $240, you rented it for $20/month. I doubt they would depreciate that much so, either way, the "rent" until you can buy the one you actually want seems pretty low.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah it's the lower price point that makes me wonder if resell value will flop.

Ipad full size always started at 499. These, 329. And most people find pricing on most non-base models ridiculous (649 for a maxed out mini when you go conservative and buy yourself one and someone else? I lol at people that think this is either a good idea or a good investment) and even base a bit higher than the comfort zone but hey I'm tired of waiting and wanted to try a smaller pad.

Plus 2 had its advantages over 3: faster at times, less prone to screen defects because easier to manufacture screens, faster charging, cooler, can only jailbreak the 2 on 4.3.3 until 5.1.1 dropped, a little lighter and slimmer, etc.

Still I didn't care I had to have my retina (and still wouldn't go from a 3 to a 2)

If mini has no downsides to having a better screen it might not be as easy a sale.

I dunno I always just think about these things since I upgrade a lot.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The resale value might decrease more than it would if the next ipad mini is non-retina, but you still should be able to get a decent amount for it. Apple devices hold their value quite well.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah it's the lower price point that makes me wonder if resell value will flop. Ipad full size always started at 499. These, 329. And most people find pricing on most non-base models ridiculous (649 for a maxed out mini when you go conservative and buy yourself one and someone else? I lol at people that think this is either a good idea or a good investment) and even base a bit higher than the comfort zone but hey I'm tired of waiting and wanted to try a smaller pad.

Why would you LOL at what someone else values? What is important to someone else should be irrelevant to you. I could LOL at you for spending 330 minimum just because you want to try a small iPad. I don't use the cloud and carry a lot of music with me so the 64GB iPads are best for me; I don't look at it as an investment, I look at it as a feature I want.

If you are really worried about resale, and its just something you want to try, just wait a couple of months for refurbs to be available. Regardless, the Minis will always hold a decent value, which will probably equate one Starbucks run a week.

Plus 2 had its advantages over 3: faster at times, less prone to screen defects because easier to manufacture screens, faster charging, cooler, can only jailbreak the 2 on 4.3.3 until 5.1.1 dropped, a little lighter and slimmer, etc.

The Retina Mini will also be slower to charge, sometimes slower for certan things, have more screen defects, be lighter and slimmer, come with an iOS that can't be jailbroken right away, etc.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If mini has no downsides to having a better screen it might not be as easy a sale.

If you believe that the difficulty in manufacturing a retina iPad plays a role in maximizing resell value, it will be at least as difficult to manufacture a mini with retina. Most here seem to believe that it will have to be the same retina screen used now (exact same resolution) packed into the smaller physical space. If it is hard to make the current one, it will be at least as hard to make the mini's version. If the current one is prone to defects and issues related to being retina, the mini version will likely be just as prone.

Some believe that a mini with retina will probably have to get a little fatter & heavier too... or that the battery life will be traded off somewhat to keep physical variables the same.

I've purchased a mini and have good faith that it will sell at a great price when I'm ready to sell. I just recently sold an :apple:TV (first generation) for $90 (paid $229 in 2007). Per that rental concept shared above, I rented it for about $2.48 per month over the time I owned it (but I got to enjoy it for all those years while the guy who bought it from me didn't have those benefits until 2012). You might say, I didn't wait and he did. I took the hit in depreciation but got the benefits of having one of those for all that time. He got a relative bargain but didn't have those benefits for all that time.

If you want a mini, get it. Life is short. Waiting for the "latest & greatest" is a forever waiting game (as "2"s arrival will be followed by "Should I wait for Mini 3?"). If you have to chase upgrades, sell it on mature rumors before the rest of the world knows the new one is coming.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Like all iPads, the more options and storage, the bigger of a loss you'll take in selling it. People wanting a used iPad are more budget conscious, and would rather take the base wifi model than paying any sort of a premium for either more storage or a cellular option.

In other words, people buying used will take a one year old used base wifi model for $400 ($100 off new) than a 64 gig cellular for $730 ($100 off new). People wanting the premium models usually tend to buy new.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Why would you LOL at what someone else values? What is important to someone else should be irrelevant to you. I could LOL at you for spending 330 minimum just because you want to try a small iPad. I don't use the cloud and carry a lot of music with me so the 64GB iPads are best for me; I don't look at it as an investment, I look at it as a feature I want.

If you are really worried about resale, and its just something you want to try, just wait a couple of months for refurbs to be available. Regardless, the Minis will always hold a decent value, which will probably equate one Starbucks run a week.

The Retina Mini will also be slower to charge, sometimes slower for certan things, have more screen defects, be lighter and slimmer, come with an iOS that can't be jailbroken right away, etc.

I suppose you are right. I mean I understand people having different needs, but there are workarounds.

XBMC over my LAN makes my iPad 3 a multiple terabyte device :D and since my iPad 3 mostly stays at home, and when on planes I feed it SD cards, I've never seen the appeal over getting the base model. I had a 32gig first gen iPad that was $100 cheaper than the base iPad 2, and then I realized I made a mistake on the storage front and the getting old gen for cheaper front (but 1 to 2 was monumental change, that A4 was toast).

But I guess jailbreak,retina downsides, could make this just as easy a sale if the 2 is retina. You guys have re-instilled some confidence for me.

And for LTE radios, why pay another plan when you can just selectively tether? With a car charger, and chargers littered every where, I don't see it being an issue. Sure, LTE radio is more convenient. But the fact that I'm paying more for another device is just a big no-no in my head.

I guess I just prefer being efficient. There is no reason to LOL at someone who gets the top model, but I am just mind blown in terms of price differences which I guess is more a reflection of apple than the end user, but ultimately imo, a bit of both.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't have access to wifi for streaming music at work, therefore, in less than a year I can pay for the 64GB difference with what the higher data plan would cost. And after that year I will sell my 64GB iPad for significantly more than your base Wifi model. In my eyes that makes choosing the 64GB a smarter decision.

If your ipad almost always stays at home, there is no reason to get the larger device.

I'm curious if you also have a laptop.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I do, MacBook air.

Different strokes for different folks. I've never owned a 64gig iOS device.

One day. 32gig is my standard for iPhones though I need it for music and such so maybe I'm a bit of a hypocrite :D

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You have an ultralight laptop then why did you buy an iPad?

I suppose you are right. I mean I understand people having different needs, but there are workarounds.

But the fact that I'm paying more for another device is just a big no-no in my head.

I guess I just prefer being efficient.

These three statements run counter to your I'm super efficient and would never pay more than I have to attitude.

1. There are workarounds that let you use your Air for everything.

2. You bought an iPad which means you paid more for another device that you don't really need.

3. Having two lightweight devices that do the same kind of thing is not being efficent.

No one on here is LOLing at your decision to have duplicate devices.

One day. 32gig is my standard for iPhones though I need it for music and such so maybe I'm a bit of a hypocrite :D

Maybe just a little. :D

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
My air is mostly used as a desktop hooked up to a monitor but I like not having to pay for an iMac and having all my files on same machine (use a big external for media)

I've been considering selling off the less used pad.

But retina is amazing for photography which I enjoy doing. That display is the best one I own.

But come on its not air vs pad they have different uses.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
My guess is iPad mini non-retina will stick around at $329. A retina mini will probably replace iPad 2 at $399.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My air is mostly used as a desktop hooked up to a monitor but I like not having to pay for an iMac and having all my files on same machine (use a big external for media)

I've been considering selling off the less used pad.

But retina is amazing for photography which I enjoy doing. That display is the best one I own.

But come on its not air vs pad they have different uses.

What do you do on the iPad you can't on the Air? Typing? Reading? Games? Email? Browsing? Aperature is even better for photography and you can run it on your Air.

You said you are efficient and would never pay more than you have to, so why do you have duplicate devices? You certainly paid extra for the ipad. And now you're thinking about paying even more to add a Mini, which is another duplicate device.

Perhaps I wouldn't take such upbrage if you didn't come in with an I LOL at anyone who pays extra for a feature or convenience I don't see value in.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
IMO, the mini will take a bigger hit in resell than any of the recent apple products. It is already competitively priced, so if the new one has retina and is the same $329, I think current ones will sell for around $150-$200 if not lower (in the aftermarket). It all really depends on how the retina's will be priced. If they stay at $329 the "old" mini may drop to $279 making resell of a used one much lower especially with a possible refurb at around $220.

----------

If you believe that the difficulty in manufacturing a retina iPad plays a role in maximizing resell value, it will be at least as difficult to manufacture a mini with retina. Most here seem to believe that it will have to be the same retina screen used now (exact same resolution) packed into the smaller physical space. If it is hard to make the current one, it will be at least as hard to make the mini's version. If the current one is prone to defects and issues related to being retina, the mini version will likely be just as prone.

Some believe that a mini with retina will probably have to get a little fatter & heavier too... or that the battery life will be traded off somewhat to keep physical variables the same.

I've purchased a mini and have good faith that it will sell at a great price when I'm ready to sell. I just recently sold an :apple:TV (first generation) for $90 (paid $229 in 2007). Per that rental concept shared above, I rented it for about $2.48 per month over the time I owned it (but I got to enjoy it for all those years while the guy who bought it from me didn't have those benefits until 2012). You might say, I didn't wait and he did. I took the hit in depreciation but got the benefits of having one of those for all that time. He got a relative bargain but didn't have those benefits for all that time.

If you want a mini, get it. Life is short. Waiting for the "latest & greatest" is a forever waiting game (as "2"s arrival will be followed by "Should I wait for Mini 3?"). If you have to chase upgrades, sell it on mature rumors before the rest of the world knows the new one is coming.

that first generation apple tv is a bad comparison b.c it was one of a kind. None of the others have local storage, and I actually feel like you let it go for cheap at $90....I see them go for $150+ all the time.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Perhaps I wouldn't take such upbrage if you didn't come in with an I LOL at anyone who pays extra for a feature or convenience I don't see value in.

Seems awfully childish to be vindictive. Personally, if you see a redundancy in my line up or going for base models as dumb, I'll carry on just fine.

:D

But in response to your query, I don't do photo editing at all on the pad. I have and see it as more of an effort than its worth. I meant I am having a difficult time parting with my ipad 3 because its an excellent reference monitor when my external and other screens mislead sometime for end results

That 64 lte comment must have really struck a chord. Don't talk politics, religion, or top capacity cellular ios devices with strangers.

Since we were talking resell value, top models and resell value came to mind. Seems we've gone way off the beaten path with my original question

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
LOL.

I still think you will have better resale if you get the 64GB LTE version, when compared to a higher level data plan.

However, if you are always around wifi, then its not a big deal.

the base models of all apple products always have the best resell....phones, macs, ipads....

I could buy a maxed out air and a base air....around an $800 difference, but the difference in the after market would be at most $300

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
the base models of all apple products always have the best resell....phones, macs, ipads....

I could buy a maxed out air and a base air....around an $800 difference, but the difference in the after market would be at most $300

I don't have access to Wifi for streaming at work so to use Pandora, iTunes Match, or what not during the day I would have to pay at least $20/month more for the higher data plan. Over the course of a year that covers most of the difference between the 16GB LTE and 64GB LTE. At the end of that year my 64GB LTE will sell for more than the 16GB LTE would. In less than two years I cover the price difference between the 16GB Wifi and 64GB LTE model.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
I don't buy my Apple gear to sell it. I keep it until it is done. I bought the base iPad 1 when it came out and have used it daily ever since. I didn't go for a high end one because I was testing the water and have seen that I can function with a 16GB device but in the end decided capacity and connectivity were important so I saved a good chunk by going with the 64GB cellular iPad mini since my eyesight isn't really good enough that putting an iPad 1 next to the iPad 3 we have at work stands out greatly (isn't ageing a wonderful thing?)

I feel like I've had my money's worth and will run the mini for longer than the iPad 1 because it has the capacity and connectivity I upgraded for.

That said, it is still possible to sell older Apple devices for silly money in the right places and contrast that with older Android devices for instance which don't hold their value at all. Heck, I still see PPC Macs selling for reasonable sums and you couldn't give away a PC of similar age so I don't think the iPad mini is going to suffer too badly. iPhone 3G still sells well despite not having iOS support and no retina display.

Don't beat yourself up over this - if the mini is what you want, buy it and if you feel like selling it later you can do that, it is your money and I'm sure you'll get a good chunk back. As others have said though, get the lowest end model as you'll lose the least on the transaction. I've bought the top one because I don't intend to sell it any time soon, that is all.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't have access to Wifi for streaming at work so to use Pandora, iTunes Match, or what not during the day I would have to pay at least $20/month more for the higher data plan. Over the course of a year that covers most of the difference between the 16GB LTE and 64GB LTE. At the end of that year my 64GB LTE will sell for more than the 16GB LTE would. In less than two years I cover the price difference between the 16GB Wifi and 64GB LTE model.

you are in the minority though. Most people have access to wifi. All things equal, if you bought a 64 gb LTE model and I bought a 16gb wifi only model ipad 4, I would probably lose only $100 next year, you would lose much more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.