Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
What length warranty, if any, did you get along with your iPad/iPad mini? Did you use a SquareTrade, in-house, or manufacturer's warranty? How much did it cost you?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I used Worth Ave Group for insurance since I figured I'd be selling this next year if there's a retina Mini coming out. The cost for 1 year is $33 (for a 32 GB Wi-Fi).

I use them because they cover water damage, drops and theft. I thought about AppleCare+, but I didn't really need to extend the warranty past 1 year and the accidental coverage is $99 upfront for AC+, plus $49 once you have it replaced. While WAG also has a $50 deductible, I only paid $33 upfront.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
The basic differences are:

Applecare extends manufacturer's defects coverage for a second year and covers 2 instances of damage due to drops or water damage with a $49 co-pay.

Worth is insurance only, covers loss/theft or damage, but not defects.

SquareTrade covers defects and damage but coverage stops once you hit the value of the item (so if they spend $329 to repair/replace your $329 device then coverage ends).

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
The basic differences are:

Applecare extends manufacturer's defects coverage for a second year and covers 2 instances of damage due to drops or water damage with a $49 co-pay.

Worth is insurance only, covers loss/theft or damage, but not defects.

SquareTrade covers defects and damage but coverage stops once you hit the value of the item (so if they spend $329 to repair/replace your $329 device then coverage ends).

What is the difference between "damage" and "defects" if you don't mind me asking?

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
3 years Applecare through the edu store. I've not seen 3 years as an option before, and took it. it is a bit pricey in the UK though.

I plan to hold onto the iPad Mini until the second Gen is released and then pass it on to a family member, which is why I opted for the 3 years. Otherwise I might have just gone for the standard 1 year

The Catalyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2009
Extended warranty through SquareTrade. Now's a really good time to lock in your warranties with them due to many 35% off coupons floating around through the holiday season.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I used Worth Ave Group for insurance since I figured I'd be selling this next year if there's a retina Mini coming out. The cost for 1 year is $33 (for a 32 GB Wi-Fi).

I use them because they cover water damage, drops and theft. I thought about AppleCare+, but I didn't really need to extend the warranty past 1 year and the accidental coverage is $99 upfront for AC+, plus $49 once you have it replaced. While WAG also has a $50 deductible, I only paid $33 upfront.

wow, never knew about them. That is the way to go if you upgrade yearly. Thanks!....nevermind, no ipad 4 coverage.

I have a question. Aside from ethical reasons, what stops someone from buying that insurance only if they have an accident?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
wow, never knew about them. That is the way to go if you upgrade yearly. Thanks!....nevermind, no ipad 4 coverage.

I have a question. Aside from ethical reasons, what stops someone from buying that insurance only if they have an accident?

I'd bet they would cover the 4. Since the 3 (32 Wi-Fi) is listed at $599 coverage, they probably just haven't updated their site. BTW, coverage is only $52 for a 32 GB Wi-Fi iPad 3, so it's safe to assume the 4 will be the same price.

Umm, that I don't know. I've always purchased it before having an accident. Of course if you don't have your serial number from the broken device, you'd be SOL if you didn't have the original box or it has already been swapped at Apple.

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Applecare+

I figured, it's worth $150 for a brand new iPad in two years, when I spent over a grand on it in the first place.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
What length warranty, if any, did you get along with your iPad/iPad mini? Did you use a SquareTrade, in-house, or manufacturer's warranty? How much did it cost you?

3 years (through an Apple reseller) - in accordance with the law. If I bought an iPad at Apple, they'd be stubborn and refuse to comply to the (Dutch) law and give me only one year.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

You can get a refund for the unused portion of Applecare +

Theft is the only reason to use worth.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You can get a refund for the unused portion of Applecare +

Theft is the only reason to use worth.

Yes, and I wanted theft protection since I bring my Mini with me all the time. It can be stolen out of my car and I'm covered. While true, if I have to replace my iPad due to an accident, I'll only be out $83 versus the $149 from Apple. I have AC+ plus on my iPhone 5 since that will get handed down to my wife next year and we wanted the extra warranty.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Aside from ethical reasons, what stops someone from buying that insurance only if they have an accident?
Their fraud department. Do you really think you invented this idea?

What is the difference between "damage" and "defects" if you don't mind me asking?
This is why you need to be clear in your OP regarding warranty versus insurance. Damage is typically covered by insurance. Defects are typically covered by warranty. Some coverages may straddle the differences but that's typically how these words are used for most products out there.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Their fraud department. Do you really think you invented this idea?

This is why you need to be clear in your OP regarding warranty versus insurance. Damage is typically covered by insurance. Defects are typically covered by warranty. Some coverages may straddle the differences but that's typically how these words are used for most products out there.

obviously. I just meant is there any provision like applecare+..."needs to be purchased w/i X amount of time," to prevent fraud

Glope

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2011
I bought mine in the last month from John Lewis, mainly because they offered a 2 year protection on it :)

rollzst

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Mine is covered by amex. Extends the warranty up to an extra year. Covers damage and theft for 90 days

I wish amex did this in the uk on their gold card. The strange thing is there is extended warranty with green card but not gold or platinum!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.