Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrfive0

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

dflowerz said:
I have been using one of these cases for quite a few months and overall it's great. Downsides are slightly added bulk, having to screw in the special headphone adapter, and horrible results trying to use the speakerphone. I bought this because I accidentally killed my 3Gs when I was riding a motorcycle in the rain and had the phone in a supposedly waterproof pocket. I got home and the phone was soaked and very dead. Now there are no issues here in rainy Seattle. I use the phone outdoors in the rain and never have to worry about water damage, so for me this case is fantastic despite the few small issues.

What the heck are you doing riding a motorcycle in the rain for? Some kind of deathwish? Lol

hassiman

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
San Diego
LifeProof... Best case I have ever owned!

I have had mine for a few months and I love it. The GoreTex seals stop water but NOT air. 3 weeks ago my wife accidently knocked my phone off the shelf in the kitchen and into the water-filled sink. She didn't know my case was waterproof so I sat back and watched with a pretend scowl on my face while she hunted through the hot soapy water and finally found it by draininb the sink... thinking she had just ruined my phone. (she has a 4s also but in a SENA case ) after she finally found it I told her I now had soap all over the phone... and much to her surprise I held it under the water to wash it off. Then I old her. SAhe was a bit peeved. :D

I LOVE this case. 1000% better that my former fav the Otter.

thearne3

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Change SIM card? Speaker dock?

The maker says 'don't be taking the case off and on' ,so:

Do you have to remove the case to change SIM cards?

Does the Phone with case fit most external speaker devices, ie, is the rubber extension at the bottom too thick to engage the connector on a Logitech or Bose or similar speaker dock?

Thanks!

csjo00

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Arkansas
The maker says 'don't be taking the case off and on' ,so:

Do you have to remove the case to change SIM cards?

Does the Phone with case fit most external speaker devices, ie, is the rubber extension at the bottom too thick to engage the connector on a Logitech or Bose or similar speaker dock?

Thanks!

Yes.

No. It has an additional half inch or so on the bottom of the phone. Dunno about the speaker docks, as I don't own one.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
AriX, you cracked me up there!

Do you know what a Faraday Cage is? Do you know why you lose satellite signal when thick clouds are overhead? Do you know what is considered the best electrical ground on earth?

Who am I kidding, of course you don't. Because if you knew the answer to any of those questions, you would not actually believe that a cell signal could propagate through more than a few millimeters of water.

Have you ever been in a concrete building and in the innermost rooms and halls, where there are no outer doors or windows, lost your signal? That happens because the concrete and steel in the walls keeps the signal from getting to your phone.

Same thing with this case. You are not shorting the antenna because the plastic is protecting it. What you are doing however is putting it inside a substance through which radio signals cannot pass. This is why submarines communicate submerged with ELF signals and have to surface, or extend a periscope antenna out of the water, for high speed data.

As much as I respect and admire Apple and it's products, the laws of physics are not going to change for them in their 30+ years of existence any more than they changed for the 236 years of the US Navy.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but that just hit a chord with me...

Well, I feel dumb now! Thank you for correcting my obviously completely incorrect intuitions. These are the things I will probably be finding out about soon in my physics class.

Markus...

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
Pacific northwest
Not happy with Life Proof case

I bought this last week thinking it was the answer to keeping my phone safe from water damage while I'm out on the water. When I opened the box I was disappointed to see two pieces of plastic with one having a O ring around it, the other side having a thin plastic screen.
I tested it in water and it worked fine. I then put my phone in it, started useing it but soon found all the calls I made to home phones people said they were hearing their voice echo. I have read else where that "Life Proof" will send you a replacement top half.
I am returning this case.

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
I bit.

First case from Best Buy was a bust. (possibly a return?) Package said 4 and didn't reference the 4s. The back was warped and didn't fit right, and couldn't fit my charging cord.

The replacement had 4s on the box and the membrane is a much tighter fit to the front (no pillowing) Made a couple of calls and no complaints on sound. This one is a keeper!

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
A friend of mine has the white Life Proof. Fit and performance of the case is top notch. No issues with calls or sound, no leaking, no problems at all. I am seriously thinking of getting a black one for my 4s. Awesome case!

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
A friend of mine has the white Life Proof. Fit and performance of the case is top notch. No issues with calls or sound, no leaking, no problems at all. I am seriously thinking of getting a black one for my 4s. Awesome case!

Make sure you get the one that has the packaging that says 4 & 4s. The one that says 4 is the older packaging and I had issues with it...

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
just grab the "drycase". vacuum seal so you have proof it works. if no air comes in, water also cant come in. works like a charm and i really like the proof before submerging it.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Make sure you get the one that has the packaging that says 4 & 4s. The one that says 4 is the older packaging and I had issues with it...

Good point, there has been a revision or two to this case. Make sure the one you are getting if the NEWEST one if you purchase.

Ravel36

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Melbourne, FL
I have this case on my phone and it is definitely waterproof. I have dropped it at least once, and there was no damage to my iPhone. It is a bit expensive but I think it is worth it.

hassiman

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
San Diego
LifeProof... 2 thumbs UP!

2 months in and not one single problem. Best case I have EVER used on an iPhone. Period! :D

TomJ8392

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Bought 3 life proof cases for the 3 iPhone's in my family. Watched the videos, did the waterproof test, all went well. My daughter dropped her 4s from her pocket to the floor. No force, just a drop. WE HAVE A CRACKED IPHONE!!! I'm very disappointed in this product and will contact customer service, but if their service is anything like their product, I don't expect much. Don't waste your money!

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
I'm one of those who constantly shop for gadgets and accessories for my devices and I own at least 6 different cases for my 4S including a Lifeproof case and the belt holster. Before I go any further I feel that my Otterbox Defender is a better general purpose case than the LP case however...

First I didn't expect the LP case to be so thin, I was looking inside the box to see if there was something else that was supposed to go around the outside. Next after I assembled the case, I didn't particularly take well to the lump near the earpiece, makes the face look deformed somewhat, then using the case for a bit, I didn't like the feel of the paddle for the MUTE switch.

What I did like is how they packaged an adapter, extra heaphone plug and the dock connector port is really cool, better than those silicon flaps Otterbox and other cases use.

After using it for a bit, I came to the notion that this is a purpose-bulit case, best used in environments in which it can provide the user the best of what it offers depending on how the user uses their iPhone. The LP case (at least heard by the person on the other side) doesn't sound as good as when I'm using the Defender. Then playing music and such through the iPhone speaker sounds muffled until you open the dock port. I use the MUTE switch a lot during briefings.

I do switch out cases for when I go to the beach and hiking where my phone might be subjected to "greater than usual" hazards which normally doesn't take place during my daily routine then switch back to my Defender for daily use.

kayakguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
New Orleans
Not so LifeProof

I bought the life proof case as soon as they were available at Best Buy. I couldnt wait til it got warm enough so me and the family could go swimming. We went to Destin Florida and had both our iPhone 4s in the lifeproof case. The case worked great. We were able to take pics underwater with the volume button and record video. I fell in love with the case. I even dropped it in my fish tank accidentally and still no water damage. But then it happened. We went to Blue Bayou waterpark. I was taking pics all day. Recording video all day. And at the very last minute of our day as we were leaving I decided to take one last pic. Took my phone out of my pocket and then i saw the water rolling down on the other side of the screen protector. My heart dropped. I immediately took the phone out of the case. My headphone jack was full pf water and my charger port had water in it also. But the phone was still on. I turned it off. a few seconds later my led started flashing like crazy. I got as much water out as i could and the sat it in some DampRid for about 4 days. The phone still isnt coming on. Oh and the water got in through the ear peace; the part you put up to your ear. So im guessing after being submered under water while swimming the pressure maybe forced its way through the adhesive. Great case for drops and maybe water splashes but not for swimming underwater. And it was only between 5 and 6 feet of water.:mad:

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
We went to Blue Bayou waterpark. I was taking pics all day. Recording video all day.
Were you using it on water slides and the like? I wonder if the force of going down slides or in a wave pool or something like that forced water in through the earpiece...

kayakguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
New Orleans
I was going down slides and in the wave pool but the phone was in my front pocket. Idk maybe that did contribute. But I did a water test in a bowl last night and water seeped in again.

dflowerz

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
I recently got the new one for the iPhone5. Very similar to the old ones. I do not go underwater with mine. I just want rain protection, so have never done the underwater test prior to using the case. Amazing how I have gotten used to having this case. I went a couple of months without it after getting the iPhone 5 and was having to go back to the plastic bag and worry technique!

Selim B

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
DryCase

DryCase is completely waterproof and you will be able to take pictures/videos underwater thanks to the crystal clear pouch without any risk for your phone and you will still be able to use the screen. The case can be used for swimming, surfing and any other kind of outdoors activities, so no risk even though you’re in the wave pool or on a slide.

You can find DryCase at: http://www.drycase.com

Cnpoo

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2015

One of the most frequent reasons for an iPhone to go on a trip to the Apple Store's Genius Bar is because of water damage. Typically, a water damaged iPhone can be replaced for a flat $199 fee, though with the recently launched AppleCare+, that price can be reduced to $49.

Most ultra-durable iPhone cases, like Otterbox's Defender or Case Mate's TANK, are merely water-resistant -- not actually water proof. They might protect an iPhone during a rainstorm, but they can't handle a dunk in the pool or -- perhaps more likely -- a drop in the toilet.

lifeproofcase.jpg

LifeProof's iPhone case, however, promises otherwise. The manufacturer claims the case is Waterproof, Dirtproof, Snowproof, and Shockproof -- the video below demonstrates the waterproof claim. The case completely covers the iPhone, using rubber gaskets around each seal to ensure a tight fit. There is an removable screw that plugs the headphone jack, allowing easy access to that port when necessary. LifeProof also sells an adapter that allows waterproof headphones to be hooked up for use while swimming.

It's not for those who like to switch cases frequently, however. The installation manual warns that the gaskets have a limited lifespan and the case shouldn't be removed and reinstalled more than a few dozen times. Further, the installation process is a bit of a pain -- before it is installed, LifeProof recommends that the case be put underwater for an hour, to ensure that there are no leaks in the gaskets.

The $79 LifeProof case comes in black, white, pink and purple. It is available from LifeProof's online store.

Article Link: LifeProof iPhone Case Offers Protection Against Water and Shock Damage

Cnpoo

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2015
Just wanted to put it out there that Lifeproof is misleading their customers. To stand behind your product and claim that it is waterproof is not to have a warranty that only protects the Lifeproof product. Company warranty only covers a Lifeproof manufactured product. I understand that Lifeproof does not manufacture an Apple iphone! But Lifeproof is claiming to be the most WATERPROOF case on the market...well here is my testimony that it isn't. I have only had my iPhone 6 for four months, with a Lifeproof Fre case on it from day one. I followed the instruction as I have done on previous lifeproof cases. I have not removed the case even once. Last weekend I jumped onto the water forgetting my phone in my pocket but immediately removed it once I realized it was in there. I wasn't even in the water a minute before I took the phone out of my pocket and put it up. A little while later, I went to use the phone and notice what appeared to be moisture on the inside and thought, "no way, that can't be!" As I took the case off I realized that in face, water had penatrated the case. I was not scuba diving or under water for hours! So I contact the company only to get the reponse that we are very sorry but we can only send you a new case. What good is a case for a broken iPhone! The advertisement from Lifeproof is completely miss leading and the warrenty is terrible. Anyone considering this product should think again!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.