Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
A fan would introduce more noise, which I think is why they want to cool down their minis (because the fans are running constantly). What would probably work, although I don't know the technical name for them, are those inserts that you see in hot/cold coolers that either keep picnic food hot or cold. Placing one of those on the mini should absorb the heat like a sponge, especially if you cooled it ahead of time. That would be noiseless and functional.

Tec's or pelitiers are not the answer!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
What's a 'pelitier'?

Tec's or pelitiers as there known are thermoelectric coolers. When a current is passed through them heat is moved from one side to the other giving you an extremely hot side and a very cold side. Good in theory but for computer use condensation issues crop up.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I was thinking about doing something similar... but I'm not sure if I'm having heat issues to be honest. I have the i7 2.3 and I never hear the fans unless I am using Handbrake and I figure that's a non-issue.

It's normal. The reason that drove me to do this is a normal behavior too. I just wanted to let my CPU run cooler and, mainly, get much lower fan speeds and therefore less noise.

This fan is like a jumbo at 5500rpm, lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.