Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teddyofindy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
Seems there is a imminent release of the 2012 iMac in Nov and Dec for 21' and 27' respectively. I am thinking if Apple delays the release another month and call the new lineup 2013 iMac, then every owner of the new iMacs will feel better because they get a 'newer' machine for the same amount of money. It is just like how you feel of having a 2012 BMW vs 2013 BMW right? :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Seems there is a imminent release of the 2012 iMac in Nov and Dec for 21' and 27' respectively. I am thinking if Apple delays the release another month and call the new lineup 2013 iMac, then every owner of the new iMacs will feel better because they get a 'newer' machine for the same amount of money. It is just like how you feel of having a 2012 BMW vs 2013 BMW right? :p

Because it's not 2013 yet. That doesn't start until January. Macs are not cars.

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
It might bump the resale value too, even though I plan on keeping that machine at least until I am done with college and start work. Which is going to be at least another 5 years...

And in 2017-2018 no one cares if you have a late 2012 mac or an early 2013 mac. Both would sound and be incredibly "old" and "outdated" ;)

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Thread starter has a slight point though.

How many of us who want a 27" new iMac now will actually get it before the end of the year?

What proportion of us? 70% 50%? Or even less?

Will lots of us be waiting for them to finally be available and in stock?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

How many of us who want a 27" new iMac now will actually get it before the end of the year?

It doesn't matter when you buy it. The dates of Mac models are based on when they're released, not when they're purchased.

teddyofindy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
As I already stated, Macs are NOT cars. :rolleyes:

Your points are taken. macs are not cars. but if you think about it, isnt't that you feel better to have a 2013 iMac vs. a 2012 iMac. I am sure there will be no real 2013 iMac considering way Apple refresh the iMac line up. maybe we can suggest Apple to delay the release to next year and bump up the specs? Yeah yeah, I know I am just day dreaming :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Your points are taken. macs are not cars. but if you think about it, isnt't that you feel better to have a 2013 iMac vs. a 2012 iMac.
No, because I understand enough to know that how you refer to a Mac model doesn't change the specs inside. If you want to give yourself a "warm fuzzy" feeling by referring to a 2012 Mac as a 2013, go ahead, but it won't change the fact that it's still a model that was initially released in 2012.
maybe we can suggest Apple to delay the release to next year and bump up the specs? Yeah yeah, I know I am just day dreaming :D
You can suggest all you want, but Apple isn't going to listen to you. They release what they want, when they want.

teddyofindy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
No, because I understand enough to know that how you refer to a Mac model doesn't change the specs inside. If you want to give yourself a "warm fuzzy" feeling by referring to a 2012 Mac as a 2013, go ahead, but it won't change the fact that it's still a model that was initially released in 2012.

You can suggest all you want, but Apple isn't going to listen to you. They release what they want, when they want.

yeah right. what can we do?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I always thought it is stupid when some, like autodesk, call their software the next year despite the fact they are released the year before. Like 3ds Max 2013, which has been available a long time. It´s confusing and pointless....I think it would be silly if Apple does the same just to make the "sound" newer.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

Not many I am guessing the ones who do get it are picking up the 1699 model in the store if they have it before the new year.

I plan on ordering the $1999 model but will be buying it from mac mall because I am not a fan of paying $200 tax lol.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
It doesn't matter when you buy it. The dates of Mac models are based on when they're released, not when they're purchased.

What my question was, was if ordered on day of release, how many who do that will receive their iMac before 2013?

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Not many I am guessing the ones who do get it are picking up the 1699 model in the store if they have it before the new year.

I plan on ordering the $1999 model but will be buying it from mac mall because I am not a fan of paying $200 tax lol.

So you don't think anyone ordering a BTO online will get it before 2013?

The thread starter has a point.

Disappointing if so, I just about set up in my mind to manage the wait until December but then to continue to hold on all the way to January is disheartening.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Your points are taken. macs are not cars. but if you think about it, isnt't that you feel better to have a 2013 iMac vs. a 2012 iMac. I am sure there will be no real 2013 iMac considering way Apple refresh the iMac line up. maybe we can suggest Apple to delay the release to next year and bump up the specs? Yeah yeah, I know I am just day dreaming :D

No, I've waited long enough, thanks.

----------

I always thought it is stupid when some, like autodesk, call their software the next year despite the fact they are released the year before. Like 3ds Max 2013, which has been available a long time. It´s confusing and pointless....I think it would be silly if Apple does the same just to make the "sound" newer.

Apple already did that iLife '11(released in 2010) iLife '08(released in 2007) .

teddyofindy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
yeah yeah. the 21' will be released on Nov 30th. So officially it will be 2012 iMac. End of discussion.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
They'll just be listed as EXTREMELY LATE 2012 iMacs for accuracy, but in reality, simply the 2012 model as it's the only one released in 2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.