Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emvp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I am a current AT&T customer. I am out of the US often, but keep my line open anyways in order to keep my phone number and so that I have service when I am in town. When I am away from the US, I simply drop my data plan so I'm only paying the minimum voice plan rate.

I want to upgrade to the 32 GB iPhone 5, but need an unlocked phone so I can use it abroad.

Option 1: "No commitment" unlocked iPhone from AT&T: $750+tax

Option 2: Purchase phone with 2 year commitment for $300, terminate my contract the next day and pay the $325 ETF, keeping my phone line active, just off contract, as it is now. Call AT&T to request unlock on phone now that it is no longer under contract. Total comes out to $625+tax on the $300.

Assuming Option 2 works, that's $125 in savings. I called AT&T and the rep confirmed that Option 2 is possible and that there's no issue unlocking once the ETF is paid.

What am I missing here? Is there any reason Option 2 wouldnt work?

emvp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Why not just upgrade and buy an unlock code on eBay for cheap?

This isn't the question here. I want to know if the above will work. I know there are other options, some less reliable than others. Not interested in those.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
This isn't the question here. I want to know if the above will work. I know there are other options, some less reliable than others. Not interested in those.

option two will have to wait after the 14 day return period(maybe less now).. if you try and cancel the next day.. they dont charge a ETF and ask for you to return the phone.

ALSO

keep in mind you will have to pay for an entire month of billing.. (att, tmo and others dont prorate the month if you are canceling the contract..they only prorate the 1st month of service if you started the contract between billing cycles.. ) unless this policy has changed and they do prorate the final bill..

so assuming it is a single person contract.. and not a just cancelling a phone line you added to your contract.. you are going to owe close to $100 for the first month bill. on top of option 2.

emvp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
option two will have to wait after the 14 day return period(maybe less now).. if you try and cancel the next day.. they dont charge a ETF and ask for you to return the phone.

ALSO

keep in mind you will have to pay for an entire month of billing.. (att, tmo and others dont prorate the month if you are canceling the contract..they only prorate the 1st month of service if you started the contract between billing cycles.. ) unless this policy has changed and they do prorate the final bill..

so assuming it is a single person contract.. and not a just cancelling a phone line you added to your contract.. you are going to owe close to $100 for the first month bill. on top of option 2.

I am not cancelling my plan though. As I mentioned, I keep my plan active as I need to be able to use my phone when I am in the US. I am just terminating my 2 year contract so that I can become eligible to unlock. After I unlock, I will still keep my plan as-is. Make sense?

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Of course both will work. But going the upgrade route and buying a unlock code from eBay will be cheaper.

This.

Seriously. Save $325 and do this. I can't understand what the issue could be.

(Not trying to come off abrasive. I'm just curious why you'd want to go this route if you can avoid it AND save $300 towards AppleCare+ or something.)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I am not cancelling my plan though. As I mentioned, I keep my plan active as I need to be able to use my phone when I am in the US. I am just terminating my 2 year contract so that I can become eligible to unlock. After I unlock, I will still keep my plan as-is. Make sense?

no doesnt.. so you are adding the phone to your existing contract? and then cancelling that phone line on the contract right? if so then your month for that phone line wont be as high.. just the $9.99 plus what ever data you had on it. (assuming you have the original plans)

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

If you are not canceling and keeping the line then why not do what I've said?

emvp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
If you are not canceling and keeping the line then why not do what I've said?

I am not creating a new line nor cancelling any line, just upgrading a line that is open for upgrade.

Do these IMEI unlock solutions work? I remember for the 4 and 4s there were similar services available but they never ended up working. What is the most reliable service? Does the phone remain under warranty, serviceable, upgradable (ios upgrades), etc. with an IMEI unlock via ebay?

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I think I can understand what the OP said and why he would like to go with one of the two options he presented. It doesn't matter that there are cheaper, albeit questionable alternatives. He wants to know if taking option "B" is feasible because it doesn't really add up. You would think that breaking the contract would be more expensive, not cheaper.

Unfortunately, I do not know for certain if option "B" would work but I don't see why not. I am considering it myself.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I am not creating a new line nor cancelling any line, just upgrading a line that is open for upgrade.

Do these IMEI unlock solutions work? I remember for the 4 and 4s there were similar services available but they never ended up working. What is the most reliable service? Does the phone remain under warranty, serviceable, upgradable (ios upgrades), etc. with an IMEI unlock via ebay?

Ok then why not do what I said? You upgrade your line go to ebay and buy an unlock code and unlock your phone. I don't see anyone on here saying they've had any issues with the unlock codes. I even did it and when I restored I got the popup that my phone was unlocked.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

so you are able to terminate the contract yet keep it active? im confused still. Do you make it month to month?

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
fwiw (I understand your point and your perspective). There are alternatives to ebay. There are good folks out there that you could contact to get an unlock. They cost a bit more, but peace of mind is important. I used a private seller. I paid 25, but am glad I did. He accepted paypal, and was a friend of a friend, and well respected in certain tech circles.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Buy the iPhone and then after you receive fill out the unlock request form. You maybe surprise at what happens, even if your phone is under contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.