Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
OWC have updated their Hard Drive guide for the Mac Mini 2012 :)

May help a few peeps!

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
I would try the same setup as me, which shouldn't be that expensive:

- Upgrade Memory to 16gb - Crucial
- Buy kit to allow you to install second Hard Drive - Other World Computing
- Purchase a 120gb SSD as Boot Drive - Ebuyer
- Use original HDD as Data Drive.

Just my opinion, im sure people will have others too :)

I have just ordered the OWC kit ($42.50) from the US with $8 international delivery. Who knows how long that's gonna take! 14-30 days and with Christmas coming up, I'm not holding my breath!

Anyway, do I have to pay extra when the item reaches the UK? And if you do, how?

I still don't understand how this works even after reading about it on another forum. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks.

Sam.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I have just ordered the OWC kit ($42.50) from the US with $8 international delivery. Who knows how long that's gonna take! 14-30 days and with Christmas coming up, I'm not holding my breath!

Anyway, do I have to pay extra when the item reaches the UK? And if you do, how?

I still don't understand how this works even after reading about it on another forum. Any help is always appreciated. Thanks.

Sam.

It only took 8 days to get to the UK for me! Also didn't have to pay any fees :)

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Successfully installed!

Now I just gotta figure out how to install Mountain Lion on the SSD

To follow up on this, I did the "Command + R" during bootup to do recovery. Selected to re-install mountain lion on the new SSD. It took about an hour to download the file. So it's not too long a wait if you aren't in a rush.

After installing and setting it up, I re-partitioned my HDD to have a clean harddrive.

In total, it is literally taking my system about 8-10 seconds to bootup. SSD's are amazing.

thelasersailor

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2010
I decided to try and install an SSD in my mini alongside the 1TB drive the other day and fortunately it all went well, apart from the fact that I can't for the life of me get the airport antenna back in properly. No amount of wiggling will get both of the tabs into their slots at the same time :( Has anyone else had this problem or got any tips?

Bill6840

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
I decided to try and install an SSD in my mini alongside the 1TB drive the other day and fortunately it all went well, apart from the fact that I can't for the life of me get the airport antenna back in properly. No amount of wiggling will get both of the tabs into their slots at the same time :( Has anyone else had this problem or got any tips?

Yes, I had the same problem, but found my answer on ifixit from a gent named Kevin. Here's a link: http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/81306/Can't+secure+wi-fi+antenna+plate+properly

I used a straightened fish hook to gently pull upwards on the antenna plate while pushing it back (towards the curved edge of the plate) into place. I started on one edge and worked my way around and it slipped neatly back into place. Good luck!

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK

I seated one side correctly then used a screw driver in the opposite whole to gently leaver forward and it popped into place :)

MM123

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
CE
Yes, I had the same problem, but found my answer on ifixit from a gent named Kevin. Here's a link: http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/81306/Can't+secure+wi-fi+antenna+plate+properly

I used a straightened fish hook to gently pull upwards on the antenna plate while pushing it back (towards the curved edge of the plate) into place. I started on one edge and worked my way around and it slipped neatly back into place. Good luck!

I have the same problem, spend an hour with it and it was still no-go for me, I will try to do it your way :) hope it will fit this time

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
I have the same problem, spend an hour with it and it was still no-go for me, I will try to do it your way :) hope it will fit this time
Same problem here. Everything went great except the antenna grate. I spent more time trying to get it back in place then it took to do the complete dissasembly reassembly. The key is not to force it. The top edges of the grate have to fit in the grooved edge of the housing. I used a paper clip and bent one end into a small hook which helped to align it up. I'm not sure what I did but it finally popped into place and the screws magically aligned. Elation!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 113

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Samsung 840 250GB SSD running in Fusion.
One down and one more to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 235
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 2.16.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-29 at 2.16.48 PM.png
    891.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

macmin

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
So, you didn't make it into a fusion drive? I'm curious why you didn't.

I didn't fusion my sammy 840p ssd either. With fusion if either disk fails (more likely to be the hdd) I would need to open the mini up, or in the least break the fusion, reinstall the os. As separate drives, if the hdd fails, i will just leave it in the mini, add a thunderbolt ext drive and restore from TM backups. I sym linked my media folders to the hdd to get hdd capacity and ssd speed for everything else.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I didn't fusion my sammy 840p ssd either. With fusion if either disk fails (more likely to be the hdd) I would need to open the mini up, or in the least break the fusion, reinstall the os. As separate drives, if the hdd fails, i will just leave it in the mini, add a thunderbolt ext drive and restore from TM backups. I sym linked my media folders to the hdd to get hdd capacity and ssd speed for everything else.

Personally, I think the odds of this is so low that it shouldn't be a consideration given the dramatic performance increase. But if it works for you, that's great.

uncleMonty

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
All the videos I've seen are for installing one new drive alongside the one already there. Are the extra steps any more difficult if you need to remove the stock HD and add TWO 3rd-party SSDs? This is my plan, for a mid-level MM with upgraded RAM to be used for audio--samples, synthesis and recorded audio.

Is there any reason (apart from price) that having two SSDs would be a dumb choice? I imagine having the OS and the audio host on one, and serving samples etc. from the other, or running plug-ins... I can quickly imagine that it would be a benefit to have both drives be very snappy.

I would probably get two 3rd-party ~250 GB SSDs, and remove the stock HD, put it in an enclosure and use it to back everything up.

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
All the videos I've seen are for installing one new drive alongside the one already there. Are the extra steps any more difficult if you need to remove the stock HD and add TWO 3rd-party SSDs? This is my plan, for a mid-level MM with upgraded RAM to be used for audio--samples, synthesis and recorded audio.

Is there any reason (apart from price) that having two SSDs would be a dumb choice? I imagine having the OS and the audio host on one, and serving samples etc. from the other, or running plug-ins... I can quickly imagine that it would be a benefit to have both drives be very snappy.

I would probably get two 3rd-party ~250 GB SSDs, and remove the stock HD, put it in an enclosure and use it to back everything up.

Monty, that's exactly how I'm using my setup too. One SSD for OS/Software, and the other for samples/audio etc.

Anyway to answer you question, there are less steps to replace the stock HHD than to install a secondary SSD because in order to install the secondary drive you need to remove all the internal parts completely whereas that isn't necessary when replacing the original HHD.

Personally I installed both separately instead of in the same go just for personal assurance that it worked. First I installed the secondary SSD, re-installed Mac OSX on it, then opened it up again to replace the original HHD.

uncleMonty

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
Awesome, thanks for your reply Trancinchino. That's a good idea about doing it in two gos so you can transfer the OS and be sure it's there on one SSD, before taking out the HD. I am all thumbs so I'll want to do it very slowly.

Can I ask what sort of sessions you are running on your Mini, which model it is and how well it performs under the load? My sessions are Logic or ProTools, some large sample libraries (Vienna symphonic, several NI Kontakt libraries) and some synthesis (more NI stuff etc.), and the sampleModelling wind instruments which are quite processor-heavy. Some recorded audio but not that much.

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Monty, I'm running Logic 9 on the 2012 Mac Mini Quad 2.6 i7 w/ 16 gb ram & 2 Samsung SSDs.

Since this is a new computer/setup I just started my first session (on this computer) a couple days ago so I'm not really at the point where I'm truly testing the processing power. I don't plan on transferring old sessions over to this new computer either.

I will say this though. I did some research on the processor prior to purchase and it is the same processor used in the new 15 in. Macbook Pro retinas. The processor benchmarks far surpass every single 2011-2012 iMac in terms of speed & power. My friend uses the Late 2011 iMac and his computer easily ran 80-90 tracks (very plugin heavy) with little to no issues. He was also using an HHD instead of SSD.

Personally I'm not expecting any crashes, overloads, etc. w/ this beefed up setup. (crossing fingers)

macmin

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Personally, I think the odds of this is so low that it shouldn't be a consideration given the dramatic performance increase. But if it works for you, that's great.

It indeed does work for me...different strokes for different folks. One way to look at this would be that I already have all my stuff on the ssd, with the exception of my media files.

My media storage requirements are in the multi TBs, so I obviously have an external TBolt raid. The internal hdd is just for 'play' stuff. Given how easy it is (with good backups) to go back and forth with fusion, I may try it at some point, I am just not religious about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.