Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I have a new Mac Mini, my tv only has 2 HDMI ports. If I am using one for an Apple TV, is it possible to keep the Mac Mini away from te TV and only use Airplay for everything? I guess my main question was if I turn on the Mac Mini, would AirPlay be active or do I have to activate it each time? I'd like to have the Mac Mini on a shelf where it more easily accessible, but I only have my tv for a display.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have a new Mac Mini, my tv only has 2 HDMI ports. If I am using one for an Apple TV, is it possible to keep the Mac Mini away from te TV and only use Airplay for everything? I guess my main question was if I turn on the Mac Mini, would AirPlay be active or do I have to activate it each time? I'd like to have the Mac Mini on a shelf where it more easily accessible, but I only have my tv for a display.

Only problem is the second you hit "MENU" on your appletv you're stuck with a computer with no screen again. You'd need to attach a screen to turn on Airplay again.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Only problem is the second you hit "MENU" on your appletv you're stuck with a computer with no screen again. You'd need to attach a screen to turn on Airplay again.

I was afraid of that. I was hoping there was a way to only use airplay and not have to ever hook up another display. Thanks

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
If you can use another computer or an iPad/iPhone with a VNC client installed, you could remotely retrigger Airplay.

That's an idea, I've been meaning to setup VNC or something on my ipad anyway. I just can't decide which way to go, I hear to many different opinions on it. I might look into this. Thanks for the idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.