Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kangsw2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I just read a new from S. Korea..

Samsung decided they wont sell battery for iPad and Macbook pro anymore

and will cut other parts later.

I guess.. soon in the future we have to fight with quality issues more....

zainiak

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2012
Screw Samsung.
All they done for Apple was create trouble with their stolen design.

Are you serious? Almost anyone would say apple is taking advantage of the law to make money. Rounded corners on app icons? Rounded corners on phones?

just my 2 cents

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Are you serious? Almost anyone would say apple is taking advantage of the law to make money. Rounded corners on app icons? Rounded corners on phones?

just my 2 cents

It is true that Apple did start the boom of these touch screen smart phones.
I would give them credit for what ever they started.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Sooner or later they will stop supplying displays for all Apple products. That's quite sad because Samsung screens are really nice.

But there's one company which has the technology and resources to compete and even outperform Samsung. It's Sharp and at the moment they desperately need a high-volume contractor like Apple. Looking at their recent progress in the mobile field (ground-braking 5" Full-HD IPS panel for smartphones), I'm no longer scared.

kangsw2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Yes...Samsung manufactures these components but does not "sell" them. Apple designs the components and Samsung builds them, that's it. Samsung also builds the chips inside iOS devices and builds the displays for MBP's, Apple sells them.

...so what is the point?

You could just say "Apple sells the product to the end user" and the product Apple buy from Samsung is "customized battery for iPad and Macbook"
:D I was thinking if I had to answer to this DOA reply LOL

----------

Sooner or later they will stop supplying displays for all Apple products. That's quite sad because Samsung screens are really nice.

But there's one company which has the technology and resources to compete and even outperform Samsung. It's Sharp and at the moment they desperately need a high-volume contractor like Apple. Looking at their recent progress in the mobile field (ground-braking 5" Full-HD IPS panel for smartphones), I'm no longer scared.

Well... you got to show people what part Sharp is outresourcing and outperforming Samsung. So what's up with the Sharp that had to borrow to tons of money from Apple? ROFL...

here is an article for your knowledge : http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/nov/01/sharp-doubles-loss-forecast-japan

and quick reference : Makoto Kikuchi, chief executive of Myojo Asset, said: "I don't think Sharp has a future. Even if it gets by this term, financial problems could emerge again next business year, and I don't see the banks coming to the rescue."

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
...so what is the point?
That your title and OP is misleading. Samsung does not sell parts, they get paid to build them for Apple. I believe what you are trying to say is that as a result of the patent lawsuits Samsung is threatening to stop building Apple components.

kangsw2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
That your title and OP is misleading. Samsung does not sell parts, they get paid to build them for Apple. I believe what you are trying to say is that as a result of the patent lawsuits Samsung is threatening to stop building Apple components.

There you go again..

again and another DOA reply.

Apple orders a large amount of parts from manufacture... so that means Samsung is selling "customized parts" for Apple. "they get paid to build them for Apple" meaning = Samsung gets paid from what they are selling to Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Samsung is bound by a contract to sell parts to Apple, they can't just decide to quit the contract, the consequences would be catastrophic for them. I too believe that we will see business relationship between Apple and Samsung declining in the future, when the contracts will have run out. To be honest, I blame Apple a) for their legal crusade and and b) for putting all the eggs into one basket (Samsung). Thats not a very smart way to go. Samsung are of course copycats without much original imagination and no programmers worth their money, but they are still number 1 as far as technology does.

kangsw2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Samsung is bound by a contract to sell parts to Apple, they can't just decide to quit the contract, the consequences would be catastrophic for them. I too believe that we will see business relationship between Apple and Samsung declining in the future, when the contracts will have run out. To be honest, I blame Apple a) for their legal crusade and and b) for putting all the eggs into one basket (Samsung). Thats not a very smart way to go. Samsung are of course copycats without much original imagination and no programmers worth their money, but they are still number 1 as far as technology does.

Apple = Copycougar
Samsung = Copycat

:rolleyes:

Apple did not invent such things.. they just make their iName of any technology. If you really know something about Apple's lifespan of business, nothing was special but they made something useful of it.
There is no business contract that make Samsung has to deal with Apple's demand...Perhaps you made wrong thoughts about "keeping screat of business between two companies = not to disclose any of product they manufacture nor future deal." it is either one time deal = large amount order (for cheap price) or when they are out of part. but really, Apple does order large amount of parts so they are stable. everyone has more than two finger to touch the D#mn screen and even if Apple did not invent it, they abused legal rights to other companies and after Jobs is gone, I do not see any revolutionally products or technologies.. Instead, I see more defective variation on product without quality control due to "saving money strategy" from MR. Cooking

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Apple did not invent such things.. they just make their iName of any technology. If you really know something about Apple's lifespan of business, nothing was special but they made something useful of it.

True. Apple's history is all about taking niche inventions and making them profitable. From this perspective, everybody is a copycat. However, I wasn't talking about this obvious fact, rather, I was referring the the observation that the Samsung Galaxy series are direct copies of Apple products, down to the user interface design details. Other manufacturers like HTC offer original designs. And stock Android is also original.

There is no business contract that make Samsung has to deal with Apple's demand...

Of course there are :confused: They have long-term contracts regarding delivery and purchase of specific components, for a set prices. E.g. Samsung commits to supplying N display panels per month and Apple commits to buy them for X each. Neither of the companies can easily back out of it - this is ensured by harsh penalties in the contract (e.g. high fines). Apple has the same kind of contracts with Nvidia, Intel, AMD etc.

after Jobs is gone, I do not see any revolutionally products or technologies.. Instead, I see more defective variation on product without quality control due
to "saving money strategy" from MR. Cooking

All products of the current year (retina MBP, iPhone 5, new iMac) have all been created under Jobs's direct influence. You seem to underestimate the time required to design and bring out a products in the industry. And btw., if you can't see how the new Apple products (well, maybe not the iPhone 5) are revolutionary, then I can't help you either.

kangsw2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
True. Apple's history is all about taking niche inventions and making them profitable. From this perspective, everybody is a copycat. However, I wasn't talking about this obvious fact, rather, I was referring the the observation that the Samsung Galaxy series are direct copies of Apple products, down to the user interface design details. Other manufacturers like HTC offer original designs. And stock Android is also original.

Of course there are :confused: They have long-term contracts regarding delivery and purchase of specific components, for a set prices. E.g. Samsung commits to supplying N display panels per month and Apple commits to buy them for X each. Neither of the companies can easily back out of it - this is ensured by harsh penalties in the contract (e.g. high fines). Apple has the same kind of contracts with Nvidia, Intel, AMD etc.

All products of the current year (retina MBP, iPhone 5, new iMac) have all been created under Jobs's direct influence. You seem to underestimate the time required to design and bring out a products in the industry. And btw., if you can't see how the new Apple products (well, maybe not the iPhone 5) are revolutionary, then I can't help you either.

I agree that all products have been created under Jobs's influence.. but that's all about design not the part. Apple was known as seeker of highest quality.
things happen these days are diaster by putting all failed parts without substantial quality standard. about Macbook pro retina, it is revolutionally idea but putting all immature junk technologies to make profit. and top of that, Apple was known as nasty parter in the industry because they cancel any order (even though it is made already) if they find cheaper deal from other companies.. Last, let's not bring Jobs about this issue because he has no choice or influence but only Cook.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Apple was known as seeker of highest quality.
things happen these days are diaster by putting all failed parts without substantial quality standard.

I have no idea where you have this from. I suppose you talking about the IR issues of the retina MBP. Well, the truth is, almost every Apple product for the last decade has known issues. The retina IR/lag, the iMac yellow tint, the iPhone battery/reception issue, the MBP GPU failures, the plastic MacBook discolouration, the PowerBook memory/display issues, the list goes on and on. Every company, even the biggest ones (especially the biggest ones!) have issues with most of their products. And yet Apple is still leading the consumer satisfaction surveys.

----------

about Macbook pro retina, it is revolutionally idea but putting all immature junk technologies to make profit

There is nothing immature or junk about the retina MBP. This is the best laptop I have ever used and while it does have some problems, none of them are more than minor annoyances (I am talking about my experience here). No other company so far has been able to deliver these specs within such a compact frame - and I am not talking about the display. I am specifically talking about the CPU/GPU/battery. This machine performs on a level comparable to many gaming laptops, while being significantly lighter and having substantially higher battery duration. If this is considered junk by you, than I am really curious what you think about other laptops ^^

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It is true that Apple did start the boom of these touch screen smart phones.
I would give them credit for what ever they started.

So what? Just because they started the boom, doesn't make them the inventor or give them the rights to the technology.

One boom Apple has started is lawsuits. Time will tell if it will help them or take a bite out of them.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
So what? Just because they started the boom, doesn't make them the inventor or give them the rights to the technology.

One boom Apple has started is lawsuits. Time will tell if it will help them or take a bite out of them.

Lawsuits were happening long before Apple started enforcing their patents.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
No other company has the resources of Samsung to meet Apple's demand. There is a reason that Samsung was chosen by Apple to produce a large number of components for Apple's devices. Its not like the companies were the best of friends a few years ago and that is why Samsung produces many Apple components

Last edited by a moderator:

kangsw2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Lawsuits were happening long before Apple started enforcing their patents.

Where is sources to prove "their patents" ? =/
There are more companies suing over Apple.. In fact, some products Apple had to pay for violating patents and they thought it was their "First invention"
Ex. iPad name, multi-touch, sqare design... =s

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

I dont see a problem with lawsuits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.