Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
I think we're 5 years out from store clerks asking "Visa, Mastercard, or iTunes?"

In all 3 cases you'll make the transaction using an app on your phone, but my point is that Apple will soon be seen equally as 'Device Maker,' 'Media Seller,' and 'Credit Card Company.'

I agree with you on using an app to make purchases, but before Apple gets into the credit card industry like how you explain - they need to become a cell phone service provider!!!

GREAT AVATAR!!!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Broaden your mind... iTunes - the place where you "tune" into something - a song, a movie, a TV show, an app, a book. The definition of "tune" isn't limited to music. Do you remember "TV tuners"? haha

Sure. Then let's drop the "S" then, shall we? When was that last time you said "iTunes into TV" or "iTunes into a book" ;)

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Unless they routinely go on sale for 15% to 20% off like Best Buy offers them, this is pointless.
At least they'll be able to sell them. Best Buy, although on sale periodically, have been sold out of digital gift cards for at least 6 months, as if they're discontinuing sale.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
They have been working more closely since Apple did what Zuck wanted. Zuckerberg is the new Jobs. Rude, crude, assertive, and a singular focus on the distant future. Few do.

I bet more Apple gift cards are redeemed than any other gift card on the planet.

Rocketman

Last edited:

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
At least they'll be able to sell them. Best Buy, although on sale periodically, have been sold out of digital gift cards for at least 6 months, as if they're discontinuing sale.

Doesn't matter, they still ship the physical ones, on sale, with free shipping.

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
I'm confused the article claims this will give more exposure for iTunes Store and gift cards? Does anything by Apple (or Facebook for that matter) really need MORE exposure?
You can already buy iTunes cards at pretty much every retail store in the country from gas stations to best buy, Target and Sears and everywhere else except for maybe the Microsoft and Sony retail stores. And if you are too lazy to walk to a retail store, you can order them digitally on 1000's of websites. Availability and exposure is NOT a problem for Apple iTunes cards or Facebook .

Just admit what this is REALLY about, it is yet another attempt by Facebook to gain access to your web viewing history and trends, and then track and control and data mine your information so Facebook can make as much money as possiable on YOUR back, (and of course give you NOTHING in return for the free data they collect)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
EDIT: i have been chastised by my gf for referring to my 'old maid aunt'. She said it sounded sexist and also a slam at the poster, which it was not, because my aunt is that way, but I hereby withdraw my aunt reference and change it to my retired high school teacher uncle. (OK, sweetie?)
Sorry, but that is stupid. Any "-ism" is a reference to a group of people. If you aren't allowed to identify your specific aunt vs your brother via whatever means necessary, including gender, then lets just all kill ourselves right now.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
FB, as far as I can tell - is having trouble proving they can generate income. Advertising isn't cutting it enough for Wall Street to be confident. This is another revenue stream.

I'm confused the article claims this will give more exposure for iTunes Store and gift cards? Does anything by Apple (or Facebook for that matter) really need MORE exposure?
You can already buy iTunes cards at pretty much every retail store in the country from gas stations to best buy, Target and Sears and everywhere else except for maybe the Microsoft and Sony retail stores. And if you are too lazy to walk to a retail store, you can order them digitally on 1000's of websites. Availability and exposure is NOT a problem for Apple iTunes cards or Facebook .

Just admit what this is REALLY about, it is yet another attempt by Facebook to gain access to your web viewing history and trends, and then track and control and data mine your information so Facebook can make as much money as possiable on YOUR back, (and of course give you NOTHING in return for the free data they collect)

SLiM620

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2007
Cali
this is kind of cool. i think its mostly for those teen girls who just never leave facebook though

Maybe, but my mind goes to "It's [blank's] birthday today, send him/her an itunes gift certificate." Instead of just leaving the obligatory happy birthday comment you can send them an actual gift.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
No matter what I will never use any of these services for my music, I will always obtain my music via other non-financial means thank you. I will use iTunes to browse and manage, but that's as far as it goes.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
A) I hope not
B) They need to change the name of iTunes. Long overdue, no? They sell books, movies, apps, etc. iTunes is limiting.

iTunes is a household name like "Jello". It would be insane to change a brand name that's known worldwide. What would you suggest? "iEverything"? :)

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
iMatch Beware! Never Buying another piece of Digital Content from Apple

I just bought a new Macbook Pro. Because there were a lot of duplicate files in my iTunes Library and it has gotten out of control, I decided that this time I wanted to start with a clean Library, I decided I'll just download my library from iMatch. Instead, the damn thing REPLACED my old library with the new clean iTunes. I LOST all my music (Luckily, I still had a backup directory - but my 700 playlists that I've spent years building are GONE). Here's Apple's response (this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I think I'm going to return my Macbook and get a PC.)

Hello,

XXXX here from the iTunes Store. I hope you had a nice weekend. I am sorry for the delay as I was away on my weekend. XXXX, I do thank you for your patience while we reviewed your account as well. I spoke to the engineers about retrieving your iTunes Match library from 11/18/12. We do not have the ability to do so on our end. I am sorry for the inconvenience this causes. The engineers stated your iTunes Match library is empty. They also noted that iTunes Match is a cloud service to make content available across multiple devices and not intended as a back up for content.

Thank you XXXXX for understanding and your patience while we looked this over.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
I just bought a new Macbook Pro. Because there were a lot of duplicate files in my iTunes Library and it has gotten out of control, I decided that this time I wanted to start with a clean Library, I decided I'll just download my library from iMatch. Instead, the damn thing REPLACED my old library with the new clean iTunes. I LOST all my music (Luckily, I still had a backup directory - but my 700 playlists that I've spent years building are GONE). Here's Apple's response (this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I think I'm going to return my Macbook and get a PC.)

Hello,

XXXX here from the iTunes Store. I hope you had a nice weekend. I am sorry for the delay as I was away on my weekend. XXXX, I do thank you for your patience while we reviewed your account as well. I spoke to the engineers about retrieving your iTunes Match library from 11/18/12. We do not have the ability to do so on our end. I am sorry for the inconvenience this causes. The engineers stated your iTunes Match library is empty. They also noted that iTunes Match is a cloud service to make content available across multiple devices and not intended as a back up for content.

Thank you XXXXX for understanding and your patience while we looked this over.

I'm not sure why you're upset. Apple is not responsible for your data. If you did in fact back up your computer, then your playlists are stored in an old library file (the file the tells iTunes what to look like, but does not contain any media).

If you're near an apple store, or chose to purchase apple care with your computer, you have access to step by step instructions on how to get those playlists back.

If you didn't have a back up of your data, that's on you. Stuff happens. On the bright side, you still have your music. If you expected anything more in response from apple, you had unrealistic expectations

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
I can't even begin to express how much better my life is now that I can buy prepaid iTunes cards through Faceboook.

This truly was the missing piece...

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
iTunes is a household name like "Jello". It would be insane to change a brand name that's known worldwide. What would you suggest? "iEverything"? :)

Well, iMedia seems obvious. But I agree that changing it would be difficult at this point.

----------

Do you remember "TV tuners"? haha
What do you mean "remember"? Like they've gone away? Most people have more of them than ever. 4 in one box, sometimes.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I think we're 5 years out from store clerks asking "Visa, Mastercard, or iTunes?" In all 3 cases you'll make the transaction using an app on your phone, but my point is that Apple will soon be seen equally as 'Device Maker,' 'Media Seller,' and 'Credit Card Company.'

Don't give them any ideas. Awesome computers might go totally to the 'back-burner'. :(

macs4nw

macrumors 601

A) I hope not
B) They need to change the name of iTunes. Long overdue, no? They sell books, movies, apps, etc. iTunes is limiting.

Agreed. But to what? I suspect they have been trying to come up with a satisfactory replacement, but haven't found one, yet. After all, they did change 'AirTunes' to 'Airplay'. The 'iStore' or 'iContent' come to mind, but I'm sure there'll be a hundred reasons why that wouldn't fit the bill.

Also, as MacDav above noted, 'iTunes' and 'the iTunes Store', are ubiquitous names, and changing them would be risky, at the very least.

Last edited:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Amazon has never sold "amazonian" items. It started off selling books, no? Not remotely related. So there was never a connection. ETA In fact the logo implies that they sell everything from A to Z. An intentional graphic reference.

Target - never sold targets. Always sold lots of items.

iTunes - was branded because it sold music. It no longer sells just music.

Even Apple changed its name. Remember when it was called Apple Computers. Why did they change? Because the focus of the company wasn't only on Computers.

iTunes is no longer focused on just music.

How about...iTunes+...iMedia is inclusive, but doesn't have the "ring" that iTunes has. I think retaining iTunes and adding a plus sign would be a good compromise, but in the end is it really necessary to change the name? Seriously? :cool:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
If it's possible to buy a Canadian iTunes gift card with my Japanese credit card like I can on Amazon Canada then this is useful.

But there still wouldn't be any reason for me to venture outside of Amazon. I wouldn't give FB a cent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.