Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadesico

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
I had two hard drives an empty one and a full 1tb drive.

I accidentally chose the wrong icon and formatted it with the setting for mac os jounaled encrypted and selected a pass for it.

Is there any way to get it back?

Nov 28, 2010
located
To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash or are on unrecognisable partitions or HDDs or on accidentally formatted partitions or HDDs, you can use

• Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
  • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
  • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)

I5acc

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
After all my experience with this....i say u can't do nothing to recover...so forget it

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I had two hard drives an empty one and a full 1tb drive.

I accidentally chose the wrong icon and formatted it with the setting for mac os jounaled encrypted and selected a pass for it.

Is there any way to get it back?

Depends on what exactly you have done, and which OS version.

Encrypting your hard drive shouldn't delete data, it should encrypt it. Now if you have forgotten the password, that's tough. There is no way to get the data back without the password. That's the idea of encryption.

However, some clever guys at Apple realised that some common reason for data loss is exactly that - user switches on encryption, types in a password without writing it done, and the data is gone. Therefore, with new OS software, you need to type the password once again, otherwise nothing gets encrypted.

So there's a chance that you can just change back to "OS X Journaled, not encrypted".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.