Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I was an iPhone owner of all version all the way up to the 3GS, I skipped the iPhone 4 and 4S in favour of a couple of an droid phones, first the Nexus S and then the Galaxy S II. Now yes it was a nice change and it was fairly easy to ues these phones, but its when you start depend on the apple 'ecosystem' is when you realise how much you kind of need the iPhone.

I have an iMac, I have an iPad, I have a macbook pro and I have an iPod nano. I alway use these devices, wether its for doing some work, creating/updating contacts, booking calendar dates, surfing the web, listening to music and all other different kind of things.

You begin to realise that you do infact need the iphone if your going to live in this ecosystem, my calendar, contacts, bookmarks, music and everything else is all update and always available to me on my iPhone and its made life so much easier now. I have managed to replace my iPod with this phone, I have started to use it more then my iPad because its alot more portable and Im using it ALOT more then android and not just for games, not just for calls but for doing almost everything in life and whereas on the droid it was really just phone, notes and games.

I guess in short, I have missed the iPhone and I am happy to be back and on the iPhone bandwagon again and the iphone 5 is the best phone i have ever owned.

Thats all really, thanks lol

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Those seem to be some pretty intensive tasks you're using your devices for, hopefully thy can keep up.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Had a co-worker move from his 4S to a One X and after a month came back because of the same reasons. The stronger the ecosystem the stronger the gravitational pull to iOS becomes.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I was an iPhone owner of all version all the way up to the 3GS, I skipped the iPhone 4 and 4S in favour of a couple of an droid phones, first the Nexus S and then the Galaxy S II. Now yes it was a nice change and it was fairly easy to ues these phones, but its when you start depend on the apple 'ecosystem' is when you realise how much you kind of need the iPhone.

I have an iMac, I have an iPad, I have a macbook pro and I have an iPod nano. I alway use these devices, wether its for doing some work, creating/updating contacts, booking calendar dates, surfing the web, listening to music and all other different kind of things.

You begin to realise that you do infact need the iphone if your going to live in this ecosystem, my calendar, contacts, bookmarks, music and everything else is all update and always available to me on my iPhone and its made life so much easier now. I have managed to replace my iPod with this phone, I have started to use it more then my iPad because its alot more portable and Im using it ALOT more then android and not just for games, not just for calls but for doing almost everything in life and whereas on the droid it was really just phone, notes and games.

I guess in short, I have missed the iPhone and I am happy to be back and on the iPhone bandwagon again and the iphone 5 is the best phone i have ever owned.

Thats all really, thanks lol
welcome back!
many of my friends also felt the same way when they first got an android device, now I've converted them all to iPhone users :D

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's mostly the inferior apps of Android that get me. Also yes everything with the iPhone is highly organized and tightly integrated while Android felt so sloppy and all over the place. No easy way to backup/restore data like the iPhone.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Unfortunately most people still use it as just a phone.

They buy it simply because it is cool to have one

I agree with what you said, it can make life a little less chaotic

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I'm currently trying out the Nexus 4 and I still really enjoy using my iPhone 5. It's a tough decision on which to keep. The Nexus 4 is a great phone but there are things I just enjoy more on my iPhone. My iPhone has always been my constant the past few years ever since I got a 3GS. I've tried out several android flagships over the years but always came back relatively soon. I've also bought a few iPads in the past, but then I realize its just redundant for me and a waste of $500+. My iPhone is always what gets the most use.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Yup. I'm in a similar situation as the OP.

I will say though that I got pulled back a bit faster. In fact, the day I bought my Windows phone and turned in my iPhone 4 for trade I uttered "what am I doing?". But the excitement of something new overcame me and I went forward anyway. It took about a week and a lot of playing around with my new phone to realize that although there were some very nice pluses there were a lot of minuses, mostly switching away from the Apple ecosystem.

Good luck to you. With any luck I'll be joining you shortly.

alancorp

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
While I understand having the iPhone makes it a seamless experience across all devices, you could have easily used the android phone to do the same thing.

If you have all your contacts and calendars in iCloud, you could have easily exported them over to Google contacts and calendar which attaches to your gmail.

Once you log in to your gmail account on the phone, everything gets loaded on your phone.

As for music, you could easily just copied your whole iTunes library to your phone via sd Card or just attaching it via usb. Or you could have just synced and uploaded to Google music by adding your iTunes folder to it.

I've used android for the last 3 years and just switched over to the iPhone 5, but my reasoning was it is the fastest phone available in it's size (the android phones are getting ridiculously big) and has one of the best cameras.

iHelios

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
This is why I have kept one foot out the door in the event that I want to switch to android. All of my email, contacts, calendar...etc is with google. And it all works flawlessly in iOS and android.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Unfortunately most people still use it as just a phone.

They buy it simply because it is cool to have one

I agree with what you said, it can make life a little less chaotic

recently this statement also applies to samsung fans.:D

----------

I've used android for the last 3 years and just switched over to the iPhone 5, but my reasoning was it is the fastest phone available in it's size (the android phones are getting ridiculously big) and has one of the best cameras.
;) You're one of the very few Android users that don't like huge phones.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I don't understand how could anyone change his iphone after buying hundred or thousands of dollars in apps, music, movies, etc, etc.

With every new iphone you can use the same apps you have already buy, also you can use them in your ipad, ipod, and other family iphones.

It is not easy to drop your love apps only because you want to test an android phone.

Also I would be scared to use an Android phone because there is a lot of malware and virus in their apps, it is very insecure.

cmoncam

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
I will admit I had a moment or two of doubt during some of the flashier Windows 8 commercials. But I am so happy with my 5, and like the OP said my whole digital life gets managed by the Apple universe.

I mostly feel bad for my parents. I tried for so long to persuade them to try iPhones, but they let themselves get talked into some bargain basement droid by a slick Best Buy salesman. They're happy with them now, but only because they don't know what they're missing. :rolleyes:

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I for one am pretty tired of same old thing. Realistically speaking not much has changed in the iPhone ecosystem in the 5 years it has been here. If it wasn't for the fact that I have set up my entire electronic universe in the Apple ecosystem I would gladly move to a new OS if only to see what else is going on.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I don't understand how could anyone change his iphone after buying hundred or thousands of dollars in apps, music, movies, etc, etc.

With every new iphone you can use the same apps you have already buy, also you can use them in your ipad, ipod, and other family iphones.

It is not easy to drop your love apps only because you want to test an android phone.

Also I would be scared to use an Android phone because there is a lot of malware and virus in their apps, it is very insecure.

Um... the reason? Maybe they're rich and don't care... maybe they jailbroke their iPhones and used pirated apps etc etc.

stevenlangley1

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I for one am pretty tired of same old thing. Realistically speaking not much has changed in the iPhone ecosystem in the 5 years it has been here. If it wasn't for the fact that I have set up my entire electronic universe in the Apple ecosystem I would gladly move to a new OS if only to see what else is going on.

That's precisely why I recently moved to a Note 2. Had iPhones since the first one and I honestly wanted something bigger and new. I probably would have stayed with apple if they had introduced more phone size choices though. It's been about a month now and I'm surviving outside the Apple ecosystem. But honestly I think I wasn't as heavily invested in it as others are. I completely understand why it doesn't make sense for some people to leave iOS and who knows I'll probably be back some day.

Last edited:

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
today, You either live in android ecosystem, or iOS ecosystem.

if You have a Mac, you better suited in the iOS ecosystem, that means iPhone.

for those who switched from iPhone to android just for a change sake, they will be back in no time. that's my experience lol.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows

for those who switched from iPhone to android just for a change sake, they will be back in no time. that's my experience lol.

I have to give andy rubin props however. He created the danger hiptop (sidekick) and then the android OS and has become a contender in ten(isn) years. Not something I'm interested in, in the slightest, but impressed none the less.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
You sir %100 percent right about every sentence. :)

Eh, I was able to switch from 4.5 years on iPhone without trouble. I own a Mac Pro Mac Book Pro, iPad, and other things with a big iTunes library, some calendar stuff and contacts bookmarks etc and am not feeling the pain.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

I use an Android phone, use and iPad and use a Windows PC

works out fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.