Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newport123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
how can i file a complaint to get my money back
got it off craigslist
sold my 2011 air for 300$ cash +iphone 5

Last edited:

newport123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
got it off craigslist
traded for my 2011 macbook air for iphone 5 +300 cash

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
unfortunately, police wont do anything. You won't get your money back. best you can do is sell it as is. usually, people buy it for parts so i'm sure you can get a least 200-300 for it depending on what it comes with and its condition. good luck to you.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
You got a few choices in my opinion:

1. Try and get Sprint to activate for you any way. Call them or go in and explain the situation to them.

2. Sell it for parts.

3. Contact the police and file a report.

Good luck.

iTinksquest

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Is it bad esn or just stolen? If its bad ESN I've heard you can pay off the overdue bill of the previous owners account and they will clean the slate for phone. Make sure this is true first before throwing down money and not getting a clean bill but instead just paying the guys bill. Goodluck!

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Unfortunately, you're SOL. I would suggest trying to meet the person again because your interested in some more "good deals". And then get his license plate or something then report the phone stolen and hand it over to the police.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
no the macbook wasnt worth 600$
so i got a sprint iphone 5 for 300
maybe i can send it to india/china and hope for an unlock soon

Macbook air refurbished - $750. That's just refurb's from apple's site. So basically he got a new laptop which probably cost you about 1,100 or in that area. So he gave you a stolen phone and $300 which you will have to use to pay the esn banning lol

newport123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Macbook air refurbished - $750. That's just refurb's from apple's site. So basically he got a new laptop which probably cost you about 1,100 or in that area. So he gave you a stolen phone and $300 which you will have to use to pay the esn banning lol

macconnection has the same 2011 new macbook air for 699$
i get deep discounts on apple laptops so i am not worried about the cost part.

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California
how can i file a complaint to get my money back
got it off craigslist
sold my 2011 air for 300$ cash +iphone 5

Here is What you could do. If there is anything wrong with the phone at all like camera blurry or bad battery life or like a bad pixel (you can check by saving a black picture on your phone turing the brightness up all the way and go to that black picture) you can trade it in and they will give you another iPhone 5 from white box and it will have a clean esn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.