Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
This is a forum, not a popularity contest. Not only do I not care what others think, I have no reason to up vote my own post. The person who made that accusation by assumption, would do well to look in the mirror.

This is a forum for expressing opinions, experiences and preferences. Those that have a problem with it; are too emotionally attached to their possessions.

Don't worry, if Maps wasn't a disaster we wouldn't be having this discussion :)

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
This is a forum, not a popularity contest. Not only do I not care what others think, I have no reason to up vote my own post. The person who made that accusation by assumption, would do well to look in the mirror.

This is a forum for expressing opinions, experiences and preferences. Those that have a problem with it; are too emotionally attached to their possessions.

Oh how ironic coming from a guy who dismissed other people's input on the maps topic based on their personal experience

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
Not seen any changes to the submissions I've made multiple times over the last two months. Made a suggestion on Google maps and got an email confirmation within 24 hours thanking me and pointing me to the changed map...

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I had my 1st Apple Maps sent me to the wrong place incident today and when you're late and counting on the GPS, this turns into a nightmare. I now understand why people were upset in the 1st place.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
In Australia Apple map is great. As a matter of fact I got lost the other day trying to use the web version of Google map. After 1 hours of walking around I tried Apple map and it worked. The people who like to call iPhone5 broken/ sub par/ feature phone, etc. can feel free to walk to Android. Have fun having a plethora of carriers' apps on your phone taking up your memory, have fun waiting for Android updates, have fun waiting for not having updates at all. I jumped ship from Android and I love the iPhone5. :cool:

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I guess I've never really had any problems with Apple maps. Granted, I'm not a heavy maps user, but when I needed it in a pinch it worked and didn't give me any problems. So to say they are improving, hard for me to say.

Albiet I did notice some areas gain 3D that didn't have it before, so I would say yes.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Whenever I have used maps, it gets me to where I want to be.

When I have an issue, I'll let you know.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
Can't find so many POIs that I could with google. Gave up and got a real GPS on black friday.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
We all know that Apple has indicated they are working around the clock to fix the problems with Maps, but has anybody actually noticed improvements yet?

I reported a number of errors on iOS 6 release day but none of them have been fixed yet. :(

In fairness to Apple. It is a daunting task.

I'd give them a full year before expecting much.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Just noticed this morning there is a LOT more traffic info and not just on motorways and not just in the cities, they just need to show traffic in turn by turn mode now :)

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
Apple maps works

Flew to a Canadian city on business and drove couple of hours to hotel in a small town. Apple maps voice turn by turn worked flawlessly. Both the voice and visuals made navigating the roads from airport to hotel drop dead easy in unfamiliar locations. I was in the back seat and handed my iPhone to the front seat passenger, who had never seen it before. The driver listened to the voice. I compared with Navigon on my iPad and was impressed with the better look and feel of Apple Maps. No complaints here.

Look forward to more POIs.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Google Maps has been around for 7 years what do you expect?

When I have one product and it's taken away from me and replaced with another, I expect the latter to be as good (if not better) than the first.

It doesn't matter how much longer or more experience Google has with their maps. Apple chose to remove and replace them with an inferior product and I (and many others) had to suffer for it.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
When I have one product and it's taken away from me and replaced with another, I expect the latter to be as good (if not better) than the first.

It doesn't matter how much longer or more experience Google has with their maps. Apple chose to remove and replace them with an inferior product and I (and many others) had to suffer for it.

I hear you. And while I agree, I must add that Apple removed the built in functionality for Maps. Google hasn't submitted any Maps application yet. When they do, you will have a choice between the two, and you will be happy.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I hear you. And while I agree, I must add that Apple removed the built in functionality for Maps. Google hasn't submitted any Maps application yet. When they do, you will have a choice between the two, and you will be happy.

Really? So I'll be able to tell Siri, "Remind me when I leave home, using Google's Maps, to buy milk." ? Will my friends/ family and I will be able to use Google's Maps for the 'Find My' features? What about 3rd party apps... will Apple change it so I can set a different map as the default for the API?

No. I won't be happy when Google releases theirs because I still won't have a choice.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Really? So I'll be able to tell Siri, "Remind me when I leave home, using Google's Maps, to buy milk." ? Will my friends/ family and I will be able to use Google's Maps for the 'Find My' features? What about 3rd party apps... will Apple change it so I can set a different map as the default for the API?

No. I won't be happy when Google releases theirs because I still won't have a choice.

Then get a new phone.

The guy above gave you options and yet you chose not to listen.

I'm sure a Cydia app will come out that will let you decide Apple Maps or Google Maps. Just like the Cydia app that allows me to use Google Voice instead of Siri.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Then get a new phone.

Right, because that's always the solution...spend years investing into an ecosystem and apps and leave when there's a problem instead of trying to get Apple to make right on the problems they caused. :rolleyes:

The guy above gave you options and yet you chose not to listen.

No, they didn't. None of the options listed would solve my current problems.

I'm sure a Cydia app will come out that will let you decide Apple Maps or Google Maps. Just like the Cydia app that allows me to use Google Voice instead of Siri.

Very true, but in the meantime myself and many others are forced to be inconvenienced without any help or solutions.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Details? Incorrect poi? Right address, wrong location on map?

Wrong location on map. About 7 km off. The location turned out to be a major inconvenience to turn around so I was late for a meeting. It depends on the circumstance, if I'm just out running errands I wouldn't have cared so much.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Right, because that's always the solution...spend years investing into an ecosystem and apps and leave when there's a problem instead of trying to get Apple to make right on the problems they caused. :rolleyes:

No, they didn't. None of the options listed would solve my current problems.

Very true, but in the meantime myself and many others are forced to be inconvenienced without any help or solutions.

It's obvious Apple is working on a solution as they are firing people over the Maps. Every time my wife has used the maps, it's never gave us the wrong information.

Can't you use the google web based maps?

Sorry, I'm not trying to cause arguments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.