Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Problem with Siri - both on the iPad and the iPhone - is that it is too slow.
It honestly doesn't speed things up for me (except for maybe setting the timer).
By the time I have activated it, told it to send a message to whichever person, dictated the message, corrected the mistakes Siri made and told it three times to "yes, send it, please" I could as well have opened the message app, typed the message and pressed send.
Even an internet search is faster without Siri.

I am a real fan of voice recognition, but if this "digital assistant" is supposed to make people's life easier, they need to increase accuracy and decrease response time DRAMATICALLY.
It has to work like the Star Trek Computer.

I think the problem is: using Siri is JUST NOT FUN.
It needs to become a fun experience, something people like doing.
Maybe the solution would be some kind of hybrid of local voice processing on the device and remote voice processing for more complex queries.

Google pretty much nailed it with their app.
OK, maybe it can't do much, but it is fun to use.
Using Siri at the moment is more of a frustrating experience, it's slow, it doesn't understand what you say and after using it, you get the feeling, it would have been easier to make those few clicks on the screen yourself.

So no, not using Siri much.

cloud25

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
No. Siri is very underwhelming. I can understand why people would use it on their iPhones but I don't and can't see why people would use it on their iPad.

Siri is extremely slow, unresponsive, and vastly error-prone. I don't need it to do simple tasks for me like launching apps, making memos, or setting my alarm. If I ever need it to search something on the web, I use use Google Talk.

I love Apple but Siri is nothing compared to Google Talk.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
By the time you go back and forth with Siri, you can do it yourself and be done. Don't use Siri at all.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Google voice here. Siri is a joke. But it's fun when you cuss at her.......:cool:

iHawaii

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
This doesn't strike me as reasonable since the dev team would already be aware that closing your background apps doesn't do anything that iOS doesn't do already on it's own.

Seriously, it's hard to believe people still believe closing background apps on iOS is something you're expected to do.

Not sure what you're referring to, but my inference was for convenience. Using the multi-task bar on double-click can be extremely cluttered after some use. Having ONLY the 3 or 4 apps open that I'm switching between would be my goal aesthetically. Nothing to do with iOS.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
No. Siri is very underwhelming. I can understand why people would use it on their iPhones but I don't and can't see why people would use it on their iPad.

Siri is extremely slow, unresponsive, and vastly error-prone. I don't need it to do simple tasks for me like launching apps, making memos, or setting my alarm. If I ever need it to search something on the web, I use use Google Talk.

I love Apple but Siri is nothing compared to Google Talk.

Google Voice is a search engine. Siri is a personal assistant who, where I live (which is quite rural) does my bidding within a few seconds.

I have an iPad 2, which doesn't support Siri, but I also have an iPod Touch 5 and use the service often. I did a little test tonight, asking Siri about the weather in Chicago (I'm in northern Michigan). She answered within three seconds.

Siri saves me a ton of time because I don't have to use that little bitty keyboard on the Touch. Siri manages my grocery list, makes my appointments, and even types my texts and e-mails. I also like being able to give verbal instructions for the music I want to hear.

For general searching, I do use Google Voice, but for local searches I've found Siri to be much more accurate. Probably because she knows my street address and Google Voice doesn't (if it does, then it's quite confused).

I'm quite happy with the service because for me, it works.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I use Siri quite a bit on my iPad 4. Why wouldn't I? Although, I'm sure it's more common for people to use her on their mobile devices.

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
My girlfriend cooks using recipes from iPad, be it Safari or Jamie's Recipes, so the ask-Siri-to-set-timer feature works great. For me I can't wake up with just 1 alarm so I tend to set 15 alarms, 3 mins apart of each other, so when I really wake up I will say "disable all my alarms" rather than turn them off one by one. I also ask Siri "what's the temperature outside" fairly often, usually when I'm wearing my shoes before going out. :D

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I don't use Siri on my iPhone 4S due to being slow and doesn't hear the correct words I say, but I just tried it out on my iPad mini and its extremely fast and more accurate, don't know if its because of iOS6 or not since I haven't upgraded my iPhone.

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
I'm using Siri more on my iPad Mini now that I paired it with my Bose BT headset. One quick button press activates it. It's a little bit faster than through the Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.