Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stonefly

Contributor
Dec 26, 2009
Nova Scotia
But LION still isn't available to those who can't run Mountain Lion. That's weird.

Gary

Thats weird because I can still download it from the app store because I bought it. You would think they would make it available to others as well.

Screen shot 2012-11-23 at 10.01.56 PM.png

Snow Leopard performs better than ML and Lion on my late 2009 27 iMac core i7 with 8gb ram for me. It seems to vary on same spec computers.

floling

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
i am still on 10.6.
simply because i don't want apple to reduce my performance speed, since it's been quite good on this OS! ....

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I downgraded my 17 inch MBP the second I got it, no Lion or ML here. The last of the mobile beasts running the best OS.
I don't doubt that iTunes 11 will see a SL release, PPCers just now lost support for the latest iTunes.

Acamerainjapan

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
I ordered a copy in case I might need it in the future. I still have a legit copy of Final Cut Pro 7 (which despite what you think of FCPX, is still an amazing program), so this gives me the option in the future to put together a cheap and effective video editing station.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
You've just resigned yourself to living in the past then, as did so many of the old MacOS users when OS X was first released.

The "iPadification process" is all part of the big picture, because like it or not, the future of computing is about users working with both full-blown computer systems and portable devices like the iPad or a smartphone, and expecting an increasing level of integration between them. (Thanks, Mountain Lion, for finally unifying the Tasks and Notes so they're actually useful for me! If I'm at my Mac and want to type up a quick grocery list, I can do it and know that it's going to appear on my iPhone in my coat pocket that I'll take to the store with me. That's the type of functionality we expect these days.)

Yeah right. Ask that guy from Microsoft that got fired over Windows 8's "pad interface" how much he believes in that future now. :rolleyes:

The iPad is a FAD. The thing is just as bulky as newer notebooks, but without all the power and full blown software to work with and no keyboard blows (unless you can't type in which case you probably don't care). I can see adding touchscreen capability to notebooks and even desktops at some point, but the idea that a touch interface could possibly replace the keyboard/mouse for everyone is utter absurdity.

MAYBE some day a voice control interface will replace everyday type appliance computer functions in conjunction with a touch interface, but that day isn't coming any time soon, IMO. I've seen dictation software sold for over a decade and it just plain SUCKS. I rented a Ford Fusion when I was on vacation and it had Microsoft's voice interface and it SUCKED. (E.g. I say, "Play Pink Floyd" and it says, 'The phone book function is not available in this mode' ... WTF!?!) I've seen Siri screw up plenty too and it's doing the number crunching on much better hardware. A true replacement voice system has to be >99.9% reliable to even hope to replace such systems and it's not going to happen this decade and probably not in my lifetime. Clearly, for 'some', iOS type devices are useful, but to those of us that truly like using full blown computers, it's no replacement at all.

And that's where Apple and Microsoft are going wrong. Yes, they have strong sales from non-computer types for newer/simpler/easier interfaces, but that's not where their core computer market is or where it's going or where it's EVER going to go. Maybe that's only 1/5 or even 1/10 of their "appliance" market, but it's still a large market and trying to make appliance operating systems work there is a big mistake, particularly if it's meant to replace rather than just supplement the traditional interfaces.

Personally, I have more of a problem with Windows8 than Mountain Lion. OSX is still there and Launch Pad is just an OPTION right now. Fine. I have no issues with options. Windows8, however, just tries to force you to use a touch pad interface with a traditional mouse/keyboard setup and it's just not as intuitive as the start menu system, particularly when it has to keep switching between that and the desktop. Frankly, I've never understood why companies like Apple just plain hate giving the user some configuration options for how they define their GUI interface. I know Steve Jobs was a control freak and an ego-maniac, so perhaps that explains it in the past, but I'm hoping the future isn't going to be so controlling. Time will tell, but then I never expected Microsoft (traditionally much more accommodating to options and maintaining backwards compatibility) to take such a giant leap with Windows8 (although now it appears they regret it).

ToM7

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Israel
totally the best

i'm still on 10.6.8 .. & i remember that was a rumor that 10.6.9 gonna come out.. what's going on with that? anyone knows?..
but you know apple like apple not supporting & update the snow anymore :(:confused:

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
The iPad is a FAD.

Clearly, for 'some', iOS type devices are useful, but to those of us that truly like using full blown computers, it's no replacement at all.

Don't think it is a fad, but don't think where it fits in is exactly clear in all cases nor is it clear where they'll evolve. Agree though that at this time, they're not close to replacing full-blown computers. But I'd hope that people wouldn't think that they were meant to be replacements to start with.

Personally, I have more of a problem with Windows8 than Mountain Lion.

Agreed 100%. Not sure that anyone (including Apple) has succeeded in designing a 1-size fits all user interface appropriate to all environments. Not so sure anyone needs to either.

mysticalos

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process. I'm not 'upgrading' to any new release of OS X until they improve on performance and stability and bring back Expose to what it used to be. Also, get rid of versions.

Just thought i'd mention. versions can be disabled in 10.8. so can auto save. not in 10.7 though but apple did listen to feedback on this.

Performance, 10.7 is miles ahead of 10.6 on opengl performance and driver performance. I have run numerous game tests and benchmark app tests on 10.6 10.7 and 10.8. 10.7 was a huge step up over 10.6. 10.8 was however a small step down from 10.7.

10.7 also brought opengl up to full 3.2 spec which was biggest thing for gaming and 3d apps since 10.6.3 brought preliminary 3.x extention support that ultimately let steam bring a lot more to the mac platform. Point is. your griping about the iOSification without even looking at what's under the hood too.

10.8 is a pile of crap admittedly since it has done nothing SINCE 10.7 for performance or stability. But to argue that 10.6.8 is superior to 10.7 in those regards is flat out wrong. I think the iOSification of OS X is an abominidable but it's still foolish to ignore just how much of a gain 10.7 was over 10.6.8, especially for gaming. (unless of course you have really really crappy hardware that was on it's last legs with 10.6.8 as is, then the higher resources of 10.7 may have negated all the performance gains).

dshan

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process. I'm not 'upgrading' to any new release of OS X until they improve on performance and stability and bring back Expose to what it used to be. Also, get rid of versions.

I wouldn't go back to 10.6.8 for anything (unless the only other option was Windows). I had to use a friend's 10.6.8 system the other day and it was just awful in comparison with 10.8. Made me realise how much OS X has improved recently. Expose is so much better in 10.8 it's not funny, I actually use it nowadays, never did before. Scrolling is better, gestures are great, Launchpad is at least not compulsory, stability of 10.8 is noticeably better than 10.7 (e.g. I can use latest version of Handbrake without it crashing like it did under 10.7). Notification Center is a real and long overdue improvement.

What I wish Apple would do is fix stuff that was forced on us long before 10.6 and we're still stuck with -- stuff like Stacks and Spotlight for starters. I want to be able to disable Stacks; when I click on a folder in the Dock it should open in the Finder not that stupid fan/grid/list nonsense. I want a spotlight that tells me where files are without having to mouse-over it in the results list and press keys to see the path. A Spotlight that can search the Unix side of things too when required.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
What I wish Apple would do is fix stuff that was forced on us long before 10.6 and we're still stuck with -- stuff like Stacks and Spotlight for starters. I want to be able to disable Stacks; when I click on a folder in the Dock it should open in the Finder not that stupid fan/grid/list nonsense. I want a spotlight that tells me where files are without having to mouse-over it in the results list and press keys to see the path. A Spotlight that can search the Unix side of things too when required.

You see, that's the point of the blunder here... 10.7 should improvise on those weaknesses of 10.6 features as per what you have said, but sadly Apple took the other way round and introduced more features (hence more bugs) without strengthening the previous ones. Now that the OS X cycle is even halved, I don't think Apple is even bothered to fix their handy work, they just wanna profit more by introducing more and more ****** stuff from iOS...

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
According to your link, XP is nearer 30% (27% of all operating systems, but slightly above 30% of Windows operating systems).

27% of all computers is a far cry from "half the windows user still use XP"

Btw OSX 10.6 or below still makes up 40% of all macs with that logic :

People's faith would be restored in Apple. There's a reason half of all Mac users still use 10.6. If 10.6.7 came out with support, I guarantee you it would win the lion's(no pun intended) share of Mac users.

Member(TM)

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Spain
27% of all computers is a far cry from "half the windows user still use XP"

Btw OSX 10.6 or below still makes up 40% of all macs with that logic :

People's faith would be restored in Apple. There's a reason half of all Mac users still use 10.6. If 10.6.7 came out with support, I guarantee you it would win the lion's(no pun intended) share of Mac users.

Not arguing that. I was just pointing out that the link you provided didn't say, as you were implying, that only 20% of all Windows users are XP users. It rather suggests that this percentage is between 30.2% and 31.0%, depending on how many of the operating systems under the label "Other" are Windows systems.

Of course, this doesn't affect your argument that it's still far from the claimed "half of all Windows users", but I occasionally display this nitpicking tendency when someone contradicts their own sources.

As for my actual opinion on Windows XP usage, I don't really have one. Statistics from different sources differ much from one another, which puts their reliability into question. See for example:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...?qprid=10&qpcustomb=*1&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=165

according to whom Windows XP users (44%) are still less than half of all Windows users, but much closer than the data from StatCounter for the same period.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Good old XP. I'm writing this post on XP Pro right now. For what I do at work (obviously not audio or video) XP is great. I've got SL, ML, W7 and W8 at home. For my work use XP offers the best looking, easiest to arrange screens and the best start button/task bar.

At home I prefer W8 for Windows software. With a little bit of fiddling it works pretty nice. Hint; Start8.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Please Stop... I hate when people that want to be freeze in time and don't want to upgrade their apps or softwares start complaining about how bad their OS is. I was in that boat but then I realized that you need to spend more money than the OS update to get that new and snappier feeling of a great OS.

Upgrade your apps.. if that doesn't fix it,

Upgrade your drivers... if that doesn't fix it,

Upgrade your Mac (buy a new one)

you will have the best experience if you buy a new Mac, believe me, the era of upgrade ended when Steve Jobs show to the world the unibody solution.

Deal With It!

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
Please Stop... I hate when people that want to be freeze in time and don't want to upgrade their apps or softwares start complaining about how bad their OS is. I was in that boat but then I realized that you need to spend more money than the OS update to get that new and snappier feeling of a great OS.

Upgrade your apps.. if that doesn't fix it,

Upgrade your drivers... if that doesn't fix it,

Upgrade your Mac (buy a new one)

you will have the best experience if you buy a new Mac, believe me, the era of upgrade ended when Steve Jobs show to the world the unibody solution.

Deal With It!

Gosh, I am so outdated I can't believe it. SL is such an old OS ...

I think some users are overreacting on both sides. Sure ML and L have their advantages but also disadvantages.
The interface hasn't changed that much that it makes sense to claim that people who are still on 10.6 want to be "frozen in time". Maybe for some folks this is true but for me it's just a question of features (and speed of boot- and shut-down-time (show me a Win7 Machine which boots in 35 Sec with a 5400rpm HDD)).

Believe it or not I still use Front Row in combination with a 15€ HDMI-Mini-Display-Port Cable. This beats the Apple TV in price. So at the moment I don't need an Apple TV Box. Sure, in the future I would like to use AirPlay, but at the moment I have all I need.

Second, I just finished my master thesis and with the old Expose it was a joy to work (I know ML does have the old Expose, but at the time of the 10.8 release I already finished my work).

In my opinion, update for updates sake makes no sense. With an updated browser and the use of common sense I also think that security is not an argument.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Yes. Ignorant and baseless. "and get rid of versions" - how isn't this ignorant. If this feature is of no use for you it by no means is standing in your way of doing things. Just don't use it.

But that's not the point. The point is that he just wanted to complain. ;) Like the whole host of people who screamed that OS X was doomed when they released natural scrolling direction and disappearing scroll bars, without taking the 2 minutes necessary to discover that they could easily turn those features off.

People get nostalgic, then get stuck. I started using a Mac on Leopard, and have used every OS X version since then. I really liked Snow Leopard, and can understand why others did, also. But honestly, when I run a SL machine now the only time I can tell a difference between it and my ML machine is when a feature I've come to depend on in ML is not available.

Saying that SL is better than ML is like saying that Windows XP is better than Windows 7. There can be subjective disagreements about some individual features, but objectively neither of those statements is true.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure

£14 on the UK store. That does sound cheaper than before! But like others said, this disk really should be 10.6.8 so that it is a "universal" upgrade solution for all Macs able to boot SL.

Even better would be the addition of drivers for late 2011 and 2012 Macs...

There are a number of things useful to me that that work better in SL.

1. Expose - L/ML has wasted space at the top for full screen apps (that I don't use).

2. Expose - L is more jerky and sluggish (on a 2011 Mac mini HD3000).

3. Scrolling/animation - L is more jerky and sluggish (on a 2011 Mac mini HD3000)

4. Spotlight - Dictionary - I use Spotlight tens/hundreds of time to search for dictionary definitions. Dictionary hits are now hidden down the list of search results in Lion - that slows me WAY down.

5. Rosetta - compatibility for old apps that are still useful but that are no longer under active development (and which have no current substitute - think proprietary scientific software in may case).

Anyway, this has all been said over and over last year. Each to their own, but I'm about to buy a last gen MBPro (SL compatible) from the refurb store. It should keep me going until at least 2017.

The only small thing that concerns me is that 2013 iPads may need a Mac with L/ML to sync...but I could always dual boot for initial setup. Most of my iPad apps sync using their own cloud services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.