Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Trying to get WakeOnLan ( http://www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/ ) to work over the internet, so I can remote wake my Mac Pro from sleep with my Macbook Pro, connect to it via Chicken (VNC) and then put it back to sleep when I'm done.

Thus far I've been able to get everything working locally on the LAN. Chicken works, WakeOnLAN works.

If I try it remotely over the internet however, the Mac doesn't wake up. Chicken works over the internet if my Mac is already awake.

Router is a Linksys E1000. I set my router's subnet mask on 255.255.255.128. I set up my router's port forwarding to 192.168.1.127 (listening port) on ports 7 and 9 for wakeup. Router's firewall is disabled. Is there something I'm missing here?

Last edited:

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
It's looking like the reason it doesn't work is that Linksys disabled the broadcast address forwarding feature in recent firmware... Means I might have to go with DD-WRT for this to work!

If anyone has other suggestions I'm all ears.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Not sure what the issue could be off-hand, but I'd say give DD-WRT a shot anyway. Linksys firmware has been pretty crappy as of late.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Now that I think about it...

You can do WoL from the DD-WRT interface. Your remote workflow would be something like...

1) Login to your home router via Safari, use that to wake your Mac.
2) Connect via VNC, put it back to sleep via Apple > Sleep when you're done. Or just wait for automatic sleep to kick in.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
I got it working. DD-WRT and some heavy duty configuration required.

If anyone's interested I could try retracing all my steps and post them here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.