Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMonkey13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Gurnee, Illinois
In the past I have always bought my iPhones at the store and they were activated for me. This time I ordered a phone from online Apple Store. Also I am switching from ATT so I want to port my number.

So, how do I activate it? Call Verizon or can I do it through the web?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
It should come ready to activate, just turn it on. At worst call *228. If that doesn't do the trick call in.

MacMonkey13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Gurnee, Illinois
Will turning it on also "port" my number? If so, do I need to erase and back-up everything off my old phone first?

sorry for the seemingly simple questions.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
In the past I have always bought my iPhones at the store and they were activated for me. This time I ordered a phone from online Apple Store. Also I am switching from ATT so I want to port my number.

So, how do I activate it? Call Verizon or can I do it through the web?

I thought you could not port your number from ATT to VZW. Only CDMA to CDMA, GSM to GSM.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Will turning it on also "port" my number? If so, do I need to erase and back-up everything off my old phone first?

sorry for the seemingly simple questions.
It should but it really depends on how you've set up the porting. Call Verizon to verify.

It should come ready to activate, just turn it on. At worst call *228. If that doesn't do the trick call in.
IIRC *228 should not be used for the 5 (or any LTE device).

I thought you could not port your number from ATT to VZW. Only CDMA to CDMA, GSM to GSM.
You might want to keep "always consider the source" in mind.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.