Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nosrettap

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
This is a serious question:

I just got my first iPhone and I was wondering, how do most people text?

1) Using 1 hand in portrait
2) Using 2 hands in portrait
3) Using 2 hands in landscape

I know there is no "correct" way to do it, but how do you and the people you're around text?

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
This is a serious question:

I just got my first iPhone and I was wondering, how do most people text?

1) Using 1 hand in portrait
2) Using 2 hands in portrait
3) Using 2 hands in landscape

I know there is no "correct" way to do it, but how do you and the people you're around text?

Option 2

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
for 2 hand users: anyone use a combo of thumb and index finger like me? (versus thumb and thumb)

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
One handed portrait. I've found I'm much faster with just one thumb than trying to get two digits to interact on the screen together.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Depends, if I'm wanting to reply before they send another message, or if I didn't know the answer to something and had to Google it to look smart, then I type 2 hands in portrait as quick as I possibly can! haha!

Any other time when I just don't care about replying...one handed all the way ;)

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Depends. With the cold weather settling here, it's mostly one handed in portrait unless I am somewhere warm. Then it's two handed in either orientation.

cg399

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Hurghada, Egypt
Don't Laugh

Preferred option is Siri. No, I'm not joking - I love it...

If I'm in a "talking to the phone would be weird/antisocial" place, then two handed portrait...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Portrait mainly;
One or two hands equally. Two hands is easier and gives me less typos but in train while commuting I need to grap a handle so one-handed also works.

(Typed with two hands)

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
If I am starting a text conversation Siri. If I am replying I tap the microphone button and talk (all of this assumes I am in a social situation where talking to a phone is not weird). Otherwise portrait, sometimes one hand and sometimes two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.