Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
It's a different installation method to previous builds. You have to download and install os_x_software_update_seed_configuration_utility first from the mac dev center. This opens the mac app store but gives you more updates than those publicly available. OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 now shows up and you have to download it from the mac app store. The dmg or pkg file is not available directly from the mac dev center anymore.

If you want to keep the mountain lion installer then after it downloads from the mac app store but before installing the update go to /Library/Updates and find the file OSXUpd10.8.3.pkg and copy it somewhere. You have to do this because after updating the installer deletes itself!

What a nuisance! Why not just put the dmg on the mac dev center?

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
I assure you, there is no linen while using VLC's fullscreen option.

I can do this with HDMI, I'm pretty sure it can be done with thunderbolt.

It doesn't on my Retina Macbook. and about the laptop lid close thingy, yeah, VLC crashes whenever I close my lid. well, to be more specific, to make it crash, I have to open VLC, close the lid, then open it again because I forgot to fullscreen it, then close it again then BAM! crash.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It would be nice if 10.8.3 fixes the almost constant Spotlight Indexing issue.

Glad it's not just me - the stupid thing runs several times a day now.

It was a big issue on my old Mac Pro as I had 4 drivers plus 2 externals, so all would spin up and start clicking along like crazy. Still does it on a new rMBP tho, with 1 external drive attached.

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
It doesn't on my Retina Macbook. and about the laptop lid close thingy, yeah, VLC crashes whenever I close my lid. well, to be more specific, to make it crash, I have to open VLC, close the lid, then open it again because I forgot to fullscreen it, then close it again then BAM! crash.

Maybe that's a VLC problem, since no other app (and the OS itself) crashes.

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
It will, if you tell it to. It's a setting.Settings-video, something about darken all screens when fullscreen (sorry i have a different language set here)

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Don't hold your breath.

I would bet money that despite the fact that copy/ paste has not been updated since OS7 in the 90's, there will be no improvement...mail will STILL no longer permit you to bounce junk emails...it will STILL be difficult to drag photos to email,
everytime you launch software you downloaded from the net,
you will STILL get that message, "this was...do you still want to open it" But you will be able to upload 1000 more photos to facebook faster and you will be able to talk to more friends faster on face book and send your messages to your iPhone, iPad
and back to the Mac faster.:confused:

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK

Close lid
Plug in external keyboard/mouse
Plug into mains
Plug in external display

Press button on mouse or keyboard to wake the machine. Job done. It's the way Clamshell works.

LlamaLarry

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Northern VA
This. I flipping hate downloading the seeds via MAS. Downloading the dmgs direct from the dev center (and being able to use download accelerators) is soooo much better.
It kind of made sense when they were first testing this delivery mechanism, but now it is a PITA and then the forums are littered with people with bad/incomplete downloads that cannot figure out how to restart/continue them.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I dont think there is an mac mini hdmi fix in this. the hdmi graphic issue is related to intel and intel has been working on it for windows users with the same problem since june. Until intel comes up with an update for their graphics chip that works it wont make its way to apple until then.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
What does Airport have that would be of interest to developers?

Devs aren't the only testers. It probably just means they've made fixes to some Airport bugs and they want to make sure people bang on it enough to verify that things are fixed.

And as always, there are always fixes beyond what is listed. It's silly to assume something is unfixed just because they don't mention it.

boomer0001

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
I would like a fix to the random lock ups when just browsing the web, rmbp completely locks up, can't do anything but hard shutdown and restart.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
I would be much happier if the headline read:
Apple seeds new f#$king iMacs to consumers!

That being said, it would be nice if ALL apps "remembered" that they were full screen the next time they're launched, instead of just iTunes.
I use full-screen Calendar, Mail, and sometimes Safari too. As long as Resume is on, the windows stay full-screen.

Last edited:

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
It's a different installation method to previous builds. You have to download and install os_x_software_update_seed_configuration_utility first from the mac dev center. This opens the mac app store but gives you more updates than those publicly available. OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 now shows up and you have to download it from the mac app store. The dmg or pkg file is not available directly from the mac dev center anymore.

If you want to keep the mountain lion installer then after it downloads from the mac app store but before installing the update go to /Library/Updates and find the file OSXUpd10.8.3.pkg and copy it somewhere. You have to do this because after updating the installer deletes itself!

What a nuisance indeed. I signed up for the program but no search on the mac dev center brings up the download mentioned above (os x software update seed configuration utility), and I may be blind but it isn't readily seen. Anyone have a link or directions so I can find it? :confused:

baddj

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
I wonder if the following have been fixed.

• General OS lag
  • Slow shutdowns
  • Slow loading in the MAS
  • slow UI when waking from sleep

sigjuice

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
Devs aren't the only testers. It probably just means they've made fixes to some Airport bugs and they want to make sure people bang on it enough to verify that things are fixed.

Thanks for the clarification. I could imagine Airplay, Game Center and Graphics Drivers as being of interest to developers due to possible updates and fixes to frameworks and libraries. I am not an OS X developer, so announcements such as this have always confused me. In the past I remember scratching my head over a similar announcement which said "iTunes Match" and I couldn't fathom why and what part of iTunes Match would Apple make available to developers.

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
New graphics driver

For the ones who cares and are curious.

Using a macbook pro 2012 non-retina (650m 1GB) these are the driver version changes I saw after installing 10.8.3 beta.

Old driver version (10.8.2)
8.6.22 304.10.20f04

New driver version (10.8.3 beta)
8.10.18 304.10.65a13

Make of it what you want, so far I haven't noticed much different. :p

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
For the ones who cares and are curious.

Using a macbook pro 2012 non-retina (650m 1GB) these are the driver version changes I saw after installing 10.8.3 beta.

Old driver version (10.8.2)
8.6.22 304.10.20f04

New driver version (10.8.3 beta)
8.10.18 304.10.65a13

Make of it what you want, so far I haven't noticed much different. :p

So....?

Does it fix the graphics memory leak issue...? If it doesn't, that means Apple is STILL wasting time and resources...

Look at the damn OS X build number man... measly 2-digit revisions per maintenance update compared to Snow Leopard's 3 digits...

Can someone please fire Craig Federighi as well...? I think OS X has more priority than that stupid paltry Maps...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.