Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Excuse me if you've already answered this, but are you sure your USB drive was partitioned using the "Guid" partition map, which it needs in order to be bootable.

It has to be Apple Partition Map. I just made a bootable Leopard USB last night.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
It has to be Apple Partition Map. I just made a bootable Leopard USB last night.
Of course, sorry for the misleading post, do not know what I was thinking...
Probably the hang-over effect of just spending 3 days trying to get Mountain-Lion installed and working on my Laptop.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
AFAIK you can't boot a PPC Mac with GUID partitioned drive. It needs to be partitioned using APM (Apple Partition Map) scheme which I believe it was.

EDIT: Too late :)

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Look, your G5 is a geriatric and you will lose money if you try to upgrade it with fancy new stuff like GPUs or an SSD, they hit a point where their value will never increase until they become antiques.

ALL computers lose value. If the G5 can meet the OP's needs and hopefully not spend much to do it, great. Remember, the G5 was free, so they're starting out having spent nothing.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Probably. But don't bother with Zeus. It's too buggy and too picky when comes to cards support.

Don't tell that to the author of Zeus. Cindori does not take that stuff lightly and goes postal on everyone who criticizes his apps. I know, I see this stuff go on all the time over on Mac Pro forums.

----------

I have never had any problem installing Leopard or even Tiger on USB anything. All I did was use Disk Utility to copy over Leopard to the USB via RESTORE command. Then, go into OF and type: boot ud:,\\:tbxi and this boots the USB device containing Leopard and its quite fast. USB 2.0 is not so slow at least for me. The trick is to find, using "devalias" anything with "ud" in it.

Just type the above command in open firmware and your USB device will boot Leopard! I have used this method on my PowerBook G4 1.67 DLSD and can confirm this works. Strangely enough, even on my PowerBook G4 Pismo I am able to not only boot off USB, but when I hold down OPTION, the USB drive comes up! Strange... as this won't appear under USB 2.0 PowerPC based macs.

But, it does work. You must be doing something wrong for it not to boot via USB.

Not sure, but all my attempts to install Leo from an USB drive have ended up unsuccessfully, no matter what I've tried. Perhaps I did something wrong, but in the end I had to burn a Leopard installation DVD anyway...

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I can't get into open firmware mode.

Hence, can't boot into the USB drive.

As I said, I think it's due to my non-Apple Keyboard.

I will be happy if you know something to get it to work!

Otherwise, I will have to burn my leopard dmg backup to a DL-DVD to do the install.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
I don't think it's because of the keyboard, because Win key works exactly as CMD no matter if you are in OS X or open firmware, so the problem is probably somewhere else...

But otherwise, if you won't manage to boot from the USB, you'll have to burn a dvd, just remeber that you need to use a Mac to do that. AFAIK it doesn't even have to be DL-DVD, I've heard about ways to squeeze Leo on a sinlge layer. You may google search for it. It takes ages to burn a DL...

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I read that some windows keyboards don't send the keystroke signals in the early boot stages needed.

So that could very well be the problem.

I bought some DL DVDs, so will burn and try that tonight.

Edit: hmmmm. I bought DVD DL -R Discs, seems like the drive can only burn to DVD DL +R discs. I tried googling before buying, but couldn't find any references to it.

If I burn on a Mac in the office, will it still be able to read the disc?

Last edited:

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
I currently have a flashed X1900XT 512M running in my G5 without problems. I can't think of a way to prove it, so just take my word. If you give me your email I will give you the X1900GT G5 ROM. Are you going to use Zeus to flash the X1900? I am not sure if this tool supports PPC ROMs.. Remember that you will need to get the extra power cable for the X1900 (It's actually the same as in the Mac Pro).

I'm sorry to bother you, but could you provide me a ROM to X1900 G5 as well? I found this listing on eBay and would like to buy and flash that card for my dear G5 box. I assume it should work, as the only HW difference between this card and your X1900XT 512M seems to be the size of GDDR3 memory, correct?

If I burn on a Mac in the office, will it still be able to read the disc?

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDrive :

SuperDrives are combination DVD±RW and CD-RW writer drives offering speeds of 8–24x and supporting the DVD±R, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, DVD±RW, DVD-9, CD-R, and CD-RW formats along with all normal read-only media.

According to wikipedia, it should work - as long as you burn the Leo disc using APM scheme, obviously.

Last edited:

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I'm sorry to bother you, but could you provide me a ROM to X1900 G5 as well? I found this listing on eBay and would like to buy and flash that card for my dear G5 box. I assume it should work, as the only HW difference between this card and your X1900XT 512M seems to be the size of GDDR3 memory, correct?

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDrive :

SuperDrives are combination DVD±RW and CD-RW writer drives offering speeds of 8–24x and supporting the DVD±R, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL, DVD±RW, DVD-9, CD-R, and CD-RW formats along with all normal read-only media.

According to wikipedia, it should work - as long as you burn the Leo disc using APM scheme, obviously.

Here is a x1900gt for $20 shipped!!! And you don't need to flash it! He has 6 available.

https://touch.ebay.com/tablet/vi?itemId=251183887141

I looked up in system profile and only DVD DL +R was listed. Not -R. :mad:

This is from Wikipedia; "16x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DV±RW/CDRW)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Here is a x1900gt for $20 shipped!!! And you don't need to flash it! He has 6 available.

https://touch.ebay.com/tablet/vi?itemId=251183887141

I looked up in system profile and only DVD DL +R was listed. Not -R. :mad:

This is from Wikipedia; "16x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DV±RW/CDRW)"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5

Sorry, I missed "as of December 2006" part in the article I posted. Since your G5 is 2005 that should be the reason. My bad.

And about the video card: Thank you, that's a deal indeed. But they don't say anything about international shipping and ebay wouldn't allow me to ask the seller a question: "Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question" they say... And as I don't have anyone living in the US who could forward the shipment to my country, I'll probably have to pass on this deal. What a pity. :(

EDIT: Now I see, there's nothing about it being a Mac version, so it could easily be a standard X1900GT Low-profile version, which was also made for regular PCs and looked the same as the G5 version. But, it's still quite a deal!

I am really curious if x1900XT flashed with x1900GT ROM can still use its 12 extra pixel shaders... Perhaps thorns would know the answer...

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Sorry, I missed "as of December 2006" part in the article I posted. Since your G5 is 2005 that should be the reason. My bad.

And about the video card: Thank you, that's a deal indeed. But they don't say anything about international shipping and ebay wouldn't allow me to ask the seller a question: "Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question" they say... And as I don't have anyone living in the US who could forward the shipment to my country, I'll probably have to pass on this deal. What a pity. :(

EDIT: Now I see, there's nothing about it being a Mac version, so it could easily be a standard X1900GT Low-profile version, which was also made for regular PCs and looked the same as the G5 version. But, it's still quite a deal!

I am really curious if x1900XT flashed with x1900GT ROM can still use its 12 extra pixel shaders... Perhaps thorns would know the answer...

That's weird, I'm in Japan and it let me ask the seller questions.

I just asked to confirm if they were pulled from Powermacs. I didn't know there was another type of x1900gt!!!

Sometimes, if you email the seller, they can add the country you live in to the ship to address. But some sellers are (rightly so) weary of shipping to other countries because of the eBay/PayPal protection bias towards buyers.

I think for the ROM to utilize the extra shaders, you would have to edit it yourself.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Well that weird for sure. Every time I click "ask seller a question" it lets me choose a subject of my question, but when I try to proceed to the next step - write the actual message, for some reason it gives me this message saying that the seller is not able to reply to my question.

I'm well aware of it, as I did it numerous times, and usually the seller was willing to send the goods overseas, but I've also encountered several cases when the seller refused to do so.
I'm not exactly sure what have you meant by eBay's/PayPals bias towards buyers, or precisely - why should be sellers anxious about it.

I'm not exactly a wiz when it comes to hex editing, so if there's not an easy way to get those shaders working, I'll keep 'em disabled. (in case I'd get the XT version, of course. So far I'm biased more towards the XT because of its dual-slot cooling, which can be nothing but beneficial for the card in terms of its lifespan, but if there was a change of getting a GT for a good buck, I'd go for it)

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Well that weird for sure. Every time I click "ask seller a question" it lets me choose a subject of my question, but when I try to proceed to the next step - write the actual message, for some reason it gives me this message saying that the seller is not able to reply to my question.

I'm well aware of it, as I did it numerous times, and usually the seller was willing to send the goods overseas, but I've also encountered several cases when the seller refused to do so.
I'm not exactly sure what have you meant by eBay's/PayPals bias towards buyers, or precisely - why should be sellers anxious about it.

I'm not exactly a wiz when it comes to hex editing, so if there's not an easy way to get those shaders working, I'll keep 'em disabled. (in case I'd get the XT version, of course. So far I'm biased more towards the XT because of its dual-slot cooling, which can be nothing but beneficial for the card in terms of its lifespan, but if there was a change of getting a GT for a good buck, I'd go for it)

I know what you mean, I have heard that the single slot cards are NOISY!!!!

Maybe it let me send an email because I used the ebay app.

I sent the first question on the iPad app, and the second question on the iPhone app.

What i meant about the ebay/paypal bias was that they are focused on protecting the buyer, so there are many cases where bad buyers will make a complaint to paypal, saying it was broken, or the seller lied or something, then send it back, but post back a different product that they bought, IE, buying an iPhone 3G, complaining that it was all scratched up beyond what the seller said, get a refund and post it back, but when the seller opens the box that is returned to him, only finds an ancient Nokia phone or some other junk.:eek:

update:

The seller replied, he said that they bought them originally from NewEgg and they are the PC version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102022

Last edited:

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Well that weird for sure. Every time I click "ask seller a question" it lets me choose a subject of my question, but when I try to proceed to the next step - write the actual message, for some reason it gives me this message saying that the seller is not able to reply to my question

eBay sellers can also set their preferences to not allow buyers who do not meet the sellers requirements to contact them. That's likely what's happening. Sellers can set that for countries they do not ship to or if the buyer has x number of unpaid items in the last 30 days, etc. (not suggesting that second part applies to you, just that it's one of many reasons a seller can decide to not allow buyers to contact them).

Last edited:

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Yeah, I thought so. But you can still flash it for mac quite easily.

And I tried to ask a question using the ebay iphone app, and guess what - it worked! Hopefully, he'll agree with international shipping but he should better reply ASAP, cause there are only 4 cards left. Otherwise I'm getting the XT right away.

thorns

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
Get the XT, I am sure the noisy fan/cooler on the GT would drive you nuts. As for the extra Pixel Shaders, I assume that they are NOT used if you flash a XT chip, since this is set by either the BIOS or the driver or probably a combination of both. This is just product differentiation (read: ATI produces a wafer full of R580 GPUs. Due to the production process, chips in the center of the wafer will end up being the "full" GPUs with every pixel shader activated, ending up on the XT cards. The chips away from the center will have defects resulting in fewer functioning pixel shaders, making them the GT chips. Since the number of pixel shaders must be fixed somehow, the BIOS or driver has to tell the card how many shaders to use. I don't know of a tool equivalent to GPU-Z which could tell how many pixel shaders are actually in use..)

@Colpeas: I am currently not able to send you the ROM file since I'm away from my G5. Send me your e-mail address via PM and I'll get back to you on the weekend.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Finally, I got my leopard DVD burnt.

But my Corsair Force GT SSD won't show up when trying to install.

Ohhh!! I read that ChrisGermany had his agility with the same controller working in the bottom slot.

I moved it to the bottom slot, and it shows up!!!

Super!!

Finally! Installing Leopard on the SSD!

I can't wait to see how snappy it will be!

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I tried a Corsair Force 3 SSD, never showed up in either SATA bay.

Works in a SATA I Macbook though, my G5 currently uses an OWC Mercury G5 SSD.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Hi PPC aficionados,

I always wanted a G5 PowerMac, neigh coveted the G5 PowerMacs.

So, now I have one (the office threw it out), and I'm not sure if I should keep it!:eek::(

Specs wise:
Machine Name:power Mac G5
Machine Model:powerMac11,2
CPU Type:powerPC G5 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs:2
CPU Speed:2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):1 MB
Memory:1.5 GB
GPU Model:GeForce 6600LE
VRAM (Total):128 MB
Monitor: Apple Cinema Display 23-Inch

I know 1.5GB ram is not much nowadays, but it has a clean install of Tiger and the OS feels nice and snappy (although web-pages seem to load pretty slowly).

Can it be of any use in this x64 chipset world we live in?

I was thinking I could drop a few HDD's in it and using it as a media Library. Although if I sell it I could get a Time Capsule with the money and server the same purpose. :cool:

Keep the little friend, but get a new video card, maybe a quadro fx 4500.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Keep the little friend, but get a new video card, maybe a quadro fx 4500.

I have 9.5GB of Ram in it now and a 240GB SATAII drive for the OS and it is running very fast now.

I want to video edit and photo shop on it, and so far the 6600 feels fine. Will I benefit from a new GPU? I haven't gotten around to flashing the x1900 I have yet either.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I have 9.5GB of Ram in it now and a 240GB SATAII drive for the OS and it is running very fast now.

I want to video edit and photo shop on it, and so far the 6600 feels fine. Will I benefit from a new GPU? I haven't gotten around to flashing the x1900 I have yet either.

Yes, the slowest part of the entire computer is the gpu and it is probably bottlenecking the entire system. For flashing: themacelite.wikidot.com. The X1900 is pcie and your computer is ago it will not work unless you have the late 2005 model.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Can anyone report on if that card can handle 1080p?

Would be cool to hook up to my TV and use it as the media centre/desktop workstation.

Living in Tokyo though, no space for a desk to put it on!:eek: Sure I can work something out.

according to zen.state (yeah remember that ***hole) he can run 10.5.8 smoothly on a 400mhz g4 and still play back 1080p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.