Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazzazh

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
seems like another day of waiting for nothing.. this is a big joke.. Has apple ever done this before.. I have been waiting for 7 month now.. I think i will go for a macbook pro retina if nothing comes out today.. or maybe apple has problem with the new imacs :( whoever buys the 1st Gen will be in big trouble.. I just dont know what to think anymore.. Just pure frustration.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Sold my iMac months ago as I was expecting new ones shortly after it was sold. I'm hoping to make the new 27", fully upgraded 32Gb 3TB etc, my new desktop for many years to come. Hoping positive things in regards to the first generation of them though. AppleCare required definitely it seems based on thoughts and previous history.

How many people have had issues with first generation of new iMacs or Macs in general? I have only had a final generation 12" PowerBook, 2007 iMac and a mid 2012 MacBook Air. How much of a failure can a first-generation Mac be?

Last edited:

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
I have only had a final generation 12" PowerBook, 2007 iMac and a mid 2012 MacBook Air. How much of a failure can a first-generation Mac be?

I am running the very first Aluminium iMac and never had a problem. Yes, that is a 4+ years old first gen model by now. Don´t worry to much, this place is full of people complaining about the new iMac just to make themselfs feel better about their old model. :D

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
New iMacs to Go On Sale as Early as Tuesday?

Why is the headline written as though we weren't expecting it, like it's a shock or something? Apple did say December, did they not, and next Tuesday is the first Tuesday of December.

maxira

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
we buy 21'' the 27'' never actually see it!
because ... Friday December 21, 2012 ... the end of the world! :eek:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Good, I hope now a new Thunderbolt display will be arriving sooner rather than later.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Rumors suggest the supplies of the new iMac will be very constrained because of the new lamination process Apple is using. You can expect a new display to use that same manufacturing technique, and therefore not released until Apple has caught up on iMac demand.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
It's all getting a bit tricky, I could really do with a machine asap but the 27" offers some good enhancements like the faster spinner. I think for me, the decision between 21" and 27" it will come down to reviews and tear down!! If the memory is really only accessible for the 27", then that's what I am buying. I know on the tech spec there is no mention of it for the 21", but I need to have that confirmed because I don't believe it

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
Keep in mind, folks, 5400RPM hard drive. Do not expect fast boot times without fusion.

Lol... if you have de brain cells working correctly you know that nothing gives "fast boot" besides something that is SSD based. it's almost irrelevant if it is 5400 or 7200.

since there is a SSD option (fusion) for your programs, 5400 is enough for the rest and gives you less noise and heat. win win.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
I'm trying to deduct how much this new 27" BTO iMac will cost me.

- Upgraded to the 3.4Ghz i7 processor.
- Keeping the standard 8 Gig's of RAM.
- Upgraded to the 1TB Fusion Drive
- Upgraded to the GeForce GTX 680m Gfx card
- Applecare

I'm thinking the $3200 to $3500 range. Is that about right?

chazmuzz

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Keep in mind, folks, 5400RPM hard drive. Do not expect fast boot times without fusion.

I never understand this argument. My computer only gets rebooted when it has to for a software update. Is 10 seconds of boot time gained every few months worth the extra money? Or am I missing something..

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
I wouldn't buy another iMac.

My last two have both developed nasty problems out of warranty.

The hard-disks run too hot and fail and the chipset distorts the screen background, again due to heat. My current iMac hangs randomly, even after a clean install.

I bet this new, even slimmer iMac will be the worst yet for issues!

Get a Mac Mini and a monitor instead, unless all you do is Facebook.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Probably an impossible question to answer so best estimates welcomed...

How many hours after online preorders begin on the 27" iMac do you think it will exhaust immediate (or soonest) availability and go into backorder hell?

mikkker007

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2012
Queensland, Australia
21.5.......You know what?... even the "OLD" Mac was generations ahead of the PC. Anything with the "Apple" logo on it, is Miles ahead......
I'm so tired of the BS Negative's..........

Dont like the new Mac?..... hate the iPad Mini?........... Iphone 5? such a disappointment...???

well...... hey, the Alternative/ Competition is right there....!!!

Shut your mouths and vote with your wallet's...

Jesus!!!! its nearly 2013..... there are more important things to crap on about...

" the new Mac isn't 'this" it isn't "That".......... Get a grip! its just a computer.
:apple:

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
I wouldn't buy another iMac.

My last two have both developed nasty problems out of warranty.

The hard-disks run too hot and fail and the chipset distorts the screen background, again due to heat. My current iMac hangs randomly, even after a clean install.

I bet this new, even slimmer iMac will be the worst yet for issues!

Get a Mac Mini and a monitor instead, unless all you do is Facebook.

Weird. I'm responding to you via my 2005 iMac which I've not brought into service once during its lifetime.

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Belgium-iPhone.Lesoir.be claims that Apple will be delivering the new 21.5" iMac to Apple Premium Resellers in Belgium starting on Wednesday. Meanwhile, the 27" iMac model is still believed to be scheduled for December.

The site also believes that the new iMac would be available for online orders at approximately the same time.

Separately, we received an unconfirmed tip saying that the new iMacs would be ready to order tomorrow, Tuesday, November 27th. We're not sure if the time difference (6 hours behind U.S. Eastern) explains the conflicting time frames or if one (or both) are simply wrong. Neither sources has a track record, but both guesses are certainly realistic. Apple originally claimed that the 21.5" iMac would begin shipping in November.

Update: Purported email sent to resellers from a distributor:

Article Link: New iMacs to Go On Sale as Early as Tuesday?

thanks for sharing the info as new iMac to go on sale as early as tuesday

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.