Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F1 Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Germany
So if you're planning to upgrade your iMac, what do you plan on doing with all those extra millimetres of space behind the display? Maybe put a poster on the wall behind your desk?

I still can't believe that Apple think anyone cares that their desktop is a bit thinner. :confused:

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
So if you're planning to upgrade your iMac, what do you plan on doing with all those extra millimetres of space behind the display? Maybe put a poster on the wall behind your desk?

I still can't believe that Apple think anyone cares that their desktop is a bit thinner. :confused:

I care. Welcome to the future.

segovius

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Barcelona / Berlin

Apple don't think anyone cares or doesn't care - and they're right. Apple knows that they have a zombie legion of blank canvasses ready to be implanted with whatever Apple desires.

If they turn up next year with a 2 metre thick iMac on a tripod then people will be 'realizing this is what they wanted all along' and welcoming the brave new world while kicking out at that luddites who don't recognize the inherent divinity....

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
21.5.......You know what?... even the "OLD" Mac was generations ahead of the PC. Anything with the "Apple" logo on it, is Miles ahead......
I'm so tired of the BS Negative's..........

Dont like the new Mac?..... hate the iPad Mini?........... Iphone 5? such a disappointment...???

well...... hey, the Alternative/ Competition is right there....!!!

Shut your mouths and vote with your wallet's...

Jesus!!!! its nearly 2013..... there are more important things to crap on about...

" the new Mac isn't 'this" it isn't "That".......... Get a grip! its just a computer.
:apple:

So i think a computer-forum is NOT the place where you should be. Cause this is about discussions and that means, there are people with different opinions and a forum is the place to share exactly that. So if you don't like it and want to care about something more serious - vote with your mouse.
http://www.unicef.org

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Let me help un-confuse you. Desk space is a premium for me. The further I can push my machine to the wall, the better. The iMac was already pretty much user unserviceable, so what confuses me is why so many non-iMac users are getting their panties in a bunch over the current design.

Honestly, if Apple "goofed" it was in removing the discrete graphics in the mini. The mini was my first choice until I saw they gimped it for no good reason.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Apple don't think anyone cares or doesn't care - and they're right. Apple knows that they have a zombie legion of blank canvasses ready to be implanted with whatever Apple desires.

If they turn up next year with a 2 metre thick iMac on a tripod then people will be 'realizing this is what they wanted all along' and welcoming the brave new world while kicking out at that luddites who don't recognize the inherent divinity....

For Apple, thickness is a feature they are marketing in much the same way that being made of aluminum is. To some people these things matter, or at least are something that appeals to them. It's not much different than car companies touting the use of high strength steel or aluminum bits and pieces in their cars.

I thought exactly that when they were describing the friction stir welding construction. It's definitely a cool thing, but it only goes to show just how far Apple will go to get a product to fit into a design mold. There is no benefit for you or me to have a computer made using this technique compared to using glue or some other method. I'm glad there is a company like Apple pushing to do things like this, because if they weren't doing it, we would all be using the crap plastic boxes the PC makers are still putting out there.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Agreed, I would have bought the mini by now if it wasn't for the graphics.

And another. I don't want top end GPUs, but something a little beefier than the Mini offers would be terrific. It's a shame (well, for me) because the Mini form factor is perfect, and I already have a good monitor.

Oh well. My movie making is a hobby, not a job, so I'll keep going with what I have. Disappointed though.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
The 21.5" is basically the Mac Mini with an good LCD and better video card. I still think it's worth the month for an AIO and if you don't need a bigger LCD.

segovius

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Barcelona / Berlin
I'm glad there is a company like Apple pushing to do things like this, because if they weren't doing it, we would all be using the crap plastic boxes the PC makers are still putting out there.

Yeah, I agree with that but I get the feeling they have either run out of ideas or just pushed the envelope as far as it can go with this thinness obsession in a desktop.

They need to get back some of that innovative spark - back in the day they would have just come up with a new and kick-ass form-factor.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Let me help un-confuse you. Desk space is a premium for me. The further I can push my machine to the wall, the better. The iMac was already pretty much user unserviceable, so what confuses me is why so many non-iMac users are getting their panties in a bunch over the current design.

Honestly, if Apple "goofed" it was in removing the discrete graphics in the mini. The mini was my first choice until I saw they gimped it for no good reason.

Isn't the bulge at the back of the new iMac as deep as the current iMac? In that case you won't gain any desk space at all.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Isn't the bulge at the back of the new iMac as deep as the current iMac? In that case you won't gain any desk space at all.

It actually has decreased, but only by 1/2 inch. Went from a depth of 7.42" down to 6.9". The difference is really nothing and I dont see how its going to be a space saver. It's a stupid design imo.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
It actually has decreased, but only by 1/2 inch. Went from a depth of 7.42" down to 6.9". The difference is really nothing and I dont see how its going to be a space saver. It's a stupid design imo.

What's half an inch between friends! ;)

you assume everyone's desks are backed against a wall. In fact in most cases, the desk is either facing inwards (in which case the stand and overall orientation is what saves desk space) or in the case or corporate reception areas, it is part of the area ambience (in which case looks - thin is always better - does matter).

Despite your lack of enthusiasm, I bet the thing sells like hot cakes

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010

You wont be able to push the new iMac any further back than the last gen iMac. The stand looks exactly the same and unchanged. The depth of the stand determines how far back you can set the iMac not the size of the screen itself.

I like the new design. All I want is for them to make sure the quality of the product is up to scratch i.e. no yellow screens, no overheating etc. Apple need to step up the quality control of their products because its been ****** in recent years.

I'll be definitely ordering one of the 27 inch models when they are available. So please Apple don't make me have to go through another 14 exchanges like I had to with the last generation iMac.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York

you assume everyone's desks are backed against a wall. In fact in most cases, the desk is either facing inwards (in which case the stand and overall orientation is what saves desk space) or in the case or corporate reception areas, it is part of the area ambience (in which case looks - thin is always better - does matter).

What new mac doesnt sell like hot cakes. I'm not doubting that it will sell, I just find the whole design deceiving. Yes the overall footprint is smaller but marginally and that comes at the loss of a optical drive. Most professionals that use macs and can't afford a mac pro are using iMacs. Removing an optical drive whilst make minimal improvements on actual hardware is hurting more than it is helping.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

I'm sure it will, because there aren't any good AIO competitors.

But I'm also sure I don't think it looks very nice, I'm sure the thermal issues have crippled the performance of the 21 inch model (a 5400 rpm drive? In 2012? That's going to really, really hurt everyday use. The benchmarks for typical use might actually be worse than it's out of date predecessor), and I'm very worried that given Apple's track record on this that it'll lead to long term issues.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

Like JayJay says, I care as well.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
To all these people complaining the new iMac to be non-user serviceable: although we don't have a tear-down of ifixit.com yet, I believe it will actually be more user serviceable. On the last model you have to take of the glass, then the display and then take put the motherboard to get to the hard drive cage. I expect to just take the back of on the new 27" model an be able to put in a new hard disk, a new SSD stick from OWC and more RAM if I desire so. Time will tell but for me that would be an improvement!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

Great example and reasoning. I definitely agree with your logic. I find it very odd people who hate the design care that much, because as you mention, the iMac was never user serviceable at all anyway. Which basically means these people are simply complaining about the removal of the ODD, which is a very redundant argument at this point.

I also agree with you on the Mac mini. What a shame really. I was very impressed to see the 2011 mini get a GPU, and then Apple takes a step backwards again. I truly sympathize for the mini user base.

ApplLover

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Panama
MacMall taking orders. Shipping in 5-7 days

Macmall.com is now taking orders for the new imac.. shipping in 5-7 days. also, 50 bucks cheaper than the apple store.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
What new mac doesnt sell like hot cakes. I'm not doubting that it will sell, I just find the whole design deceiving. Yes the overall footprint is smaller but marginally and that comes at the loss of a optical drive. Most professionals that use macs and can't afford a mac pro are using iMacs. Removing an optical drive whilst make minimal improvements on actual hardware is hurting more than it is helping.

No it isn't. Your just blowing this otherwise minor issue out of proportion.

As I've been saying for months now, just get an external ODD and move on with life. I'm willing to bet less than half of the people who purchase a new iMac now will need the ODD, and that minority will just continue to dwindle.

Lack off ODD is certainly not a deal breaker. Now the new mini? Losing a GPU is a deal breaker. You cant just fix that with some external solution. Huge difference if you know what I mean.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yeah, I agree with that but I get the feeling they have either run out of ideas or just pushed the envelope as far as it can go with this thinness obsession in a desktop.

They need to get back some of that innovative spark - back in the day they would have just come up with a new and kick-ass form-factor.

It's a big-ass screen. What new form factor would you want? Black plastic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.