Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithfield11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
just queried apple online regarding why it's november and the imac that is 'available in november' isnt available. They cut me off chat without warning....

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
just queried apple online regarding why it's november and the imac that is 'available in november' isnt available. They cut me off chat without warning....

Lol I do find the apple chat staff to be quite rude a stupid. I swear they all have fake names as well.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
oh great, I am in a meeting at work from 8am UK time, any idea what time they will be on sale in th UK?

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Very disappointed by the lack of choice regarding harddrives. I'd much rather have 256gb SSD + 3tb HD. Better for bootcamp. This way I can have my games and OS partitions on the SSD, and just put all my music, movies etc. on the harddrive. Disappointing...

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Very disappointed by the lack of choice regarding harddrives. I'd much rather have 256gb SSD + 3tb HD. Better for bootcamp. This way I can have my games and OS partitions on the SSD, and just put all my music, movies etc. on the harddrive. Disappointing...

Well...the idea is that the most used items go on the Fusion Drive.

If you use the games a lot, they'll just go to the Fusion Drive.

Can't use the Fusion Drive with Boot Camp though.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Well...the idea is that the most used items go on the Fusion Drive.

If you use the games a lot, they'll just go to the Fusion Drive.

Can't use the Fusion Drive with Boot Camp though.

I know what the idea is, the problem is the fusion drive is completely useless when you want a seperate windows partition for gaming. How do you know when you make a new partition that you'll get the SSD part for windows and the games?
Again, very disappointing. Very poorly thought out by Apple this... I really, really hope we'll have more options when ordering from the Apple store.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I know what the idea is, the problem is the fusion drive is completely useless when you want a seperate windows partition for gaming. How do you know when you make a new partition that you'll get the SSD part for windows and the games?
Again, very disappointing. Very poorly thought out by Apple this... I really, really hope we'll have more options when ordering from the Apple store.

Well of course Apple aren't going to make the Windows experience as good.

Something you could do is get a Thunderbolt SSD.

(Someone posted a couple of weeks ago about their experience booting from an external Thunderbolt SSD, can't seem to find it now, but it's faster than their HDD)

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Well of course Apple aren't going to make the Windows experience as good.

Something you could do is get a Thunderbolt SSD.

(Someone posted a couple of weeks ago about their experience booting from an external Thunderbolt SSD, can't seem to find it now, but it's faster than their HDD)

Thanks, that is a good idea, however it's expensive. I think I'll try to just "hack" the fusion drive by software, and split it up into two. The problem is at 128gb, the SSD drive will be quite small for two seperate OS partitions.
I'm reserving some small hope that this website didn't have all the options, I especially thought the ram choices were odd. Apple gives the users the option of bootcamp, but then give us an iMac that makes bootcamp impossible? This is plain idiocy! I guess we'll find out on Friday... :confused:
Btw. who's gonna buy the 768gb SSD option, that's gonna be seriously expensive. Now 256 gb SSD + 3 tb HD, that would have been a useful combo. This fusion crap is totally overrated, especially when we the more experienced users can't order a more useful setup.

Last edited:

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Thanks, that is a good idea, however it's expensive. I think I'll try to just "hack" the fusion drive by software, and split it up into two. The problem is at 128gb, the SSD drive will be quite small for two seperation OS partitions.
I'm reserving some small hope that this website didn't have all the options, I especially thought the ram choices were odd. It's very strange that users cannot choose a dual non-fusion storage option. Apple gives the users the option of bootcamp, but then give us an iMac that makes bootcamp impossible? I guess we'll find out on Friday... :confused:
Btw. who's gonna buy the 768gb SSD option, that's gonna be seriously expensive.

I wouldn't be surprised if a dodgy hack does come along soon to split the Fusion Drive.

I wouldn't mind doing it myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if a hack would be dodgy.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Not sure I trust ordering of macmall yet. When purchasing the $1999 mac it lists these as the specs:

MC096LL/A27-inch glossy widescreen display
3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor
Apple 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memoryFour USB 3 ports
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Apple Magic Mouse
FREE SHIPPING

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Apple documents state that a single partition can be created within the Fusion drive using BootCamp, and that that partition will be on the hard disk. You can get around this by starting over with a DIY Fusion build.

I have a 2011 Mac Mini with a 240GB SSD and 500GB hard disk on which I have split the SSD to make a Windows partition, and then built a DIY Fusion drive with the remaining SSD OS X partition and the hard disk, and it is working fine.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the iMac is going to have an option for a larger SSD and hard disk to permit this configuration to be created without opening up the case and voiding the warranty. You could possibly get by with the 768GB SSD split for Windows and OS X and use an external drive for data, but that is going to be pretty expensive.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Apple documents state that a single partition can be created within the Fusion drive using BootCamp, and that that partition will be on the hard disk. You can get around this by starting over with a DIY Fusion build.

I have a 2011 Mac Mini with a 240GB SSD and 500GB hard disk on which I have split the SSD to make a Windows partition, and then built a DIY Fusion drive with the remaining SSD OS X partition and the hard disk, and it is working fine.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the iMac is going to have an option for a larger SSD and hard disk to permit this configuration to be created without opening up the case and voiding the warranty. You could possibly get by with the 768GB SSD split for Windows and OS X and use an external drive for data, but that is going to be pretty expensive.

Yep, I'm buying the 27'' specifically so I can enjoy gaming in windows, besides office, movies, iTunes, composing etc. in OSX. This was a disappointment to put it mildly. I don't need to tell you how much faster Windows and demanding games work when loaded from an SSD vs. a slow 5400rpm HD...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.