Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Let the iMac come out next week, next month, or next year, the fact they pulled the older model and had no iMacs on shelves for weeks was a pretty dumb move. Even if the new iMac comes out, it is just the 21" leaving a gap for the larger model. Dumb dumb dumb.....

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Too expensive for the casual user, too appliance-like & limited for many professionals.

But they are in the exact sweet spot for maximum profits. That is the thing that matters most to Apple. If you want an el-cheapo computer, look elsewhere. If you are some sort of uber-geek wannabe, look elsewhere.

If you want the coolest computer thing that a regular person could dream for, with a slim form actor and an OS that is so easy even a cave man could use it, you get what you pay for.

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
I have a 21.5" iMac that I bought in March. The new iMac ought to be an obvious upgrade for me, it certainly has some attractive features in the screen, faster RAM and USB 3. But I don't want to loose a built in optical drive, I'm not keen on the idea of a 5400rpm laptop HDD and I don't like the fact that I can't upgrade the RAM (which I have done in mine).

So I'll wait for the 27" model, which is better for me and I guess I'll have to get used to an external optical drive.

There is one thing, I'm pretty sure that the resale value on my current model of iMac will stay high.

Wintermute121

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Bulimia isn’t the answer to everything...

I’ve been waiting for a new iMac for more than a year; the delay was longer than ever (see https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iMac ). When the new machines came out, I realized that Tim and Jon’s obsession with “slim” had gotten the better of them.

Yes, these machines are beautiful and extremely slim - if you look at them exactly at the angle we see in the PR shots.

Now when I'm sitting in front of the display, I couldn't care less about those 5mm screen edges. And I would prefer a solution where not every heat-generating component (power supply, harddisk, GPU, CPU, display...) is packed into an extremely tight space.

I’ll probably buy the 27" model, because I need a powerful desktop machine now, and I don’t have the budget for a Mac Pro and a huge screen. But I’m afraid that this Twiggy-ish machine will have heat-related problems (e.g. screen colors changing -wouldn’t be the first time) and an early death - probably a few days after the end of the warranty.

I hope this generation of iMac doesn’t mark the end of Apple as a company willing and able to build great desktop computers.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Eleven hundred quid for a non-upgradable tablet on a stick with glass over the monitor.

Doesn't appeal in the slightest.

The same cash could have bought an upgradable tower back in the "Apple Computer" days.

And how could I pitch this to my Mum to replace her G3 CRT iMac when all she needs is something to run a web browser & an email client, and a 17" PC laptop is hundreds of Pounds cheaper?

Too expensive for the casual user, too appliance-like & limited for many professionals.

Sad times...

Sad truth, but iSheep will abuse you for talking the truth. Well in fella.

Diamond Dave

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
Sounds like she's not in the target audience. If that's all she needs an iPad would be a more logical match.

If that's really all she needs tell her to get an iPad

Except that her eyesight is poor, and she really needs a bigger screen than the 15" (13.8" visible) on her existing iMac, not smaller.

Also, she's comfortable with a real, full sized, hard-plastic-keys keyboard.

She can barely work her mobile phone, so I doubt she'd take to a fake on-screen keyboard easily.

The £499 bottom-end Mac Mini might be something I'd consider for her mind you, with a large monitor connected.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
At that point again you'd be waiting for next cool thing. There's always something around the corner.

I think the new iMacs look amazing and I'm very interested in seeing the new display IRL. Should be great according to the early reviews.... Perhaps next cinema display will be laminated as well? And the Apple Television unit? :eek:

MY decision of course will be based on the ifixit teardown of the 27" imac. If its not as "easy" to get at the guts as the 2011 iMac's, I simply won't be able to justify the expense when the Mac Pro is hovering just a wee bit cheaper. Heck, even the old existing Mac Pros make more sense than the new 27" if we can't replace the HDDs, etc.

Right now my MacBook Pro has a 24GB SSD and a 512GB SSD. I was able to add them both myself for cheap. I would expect the iMac, a desktop computer, to be more accessible and serviceable than their laptops, where space is actually limited for good reason, no?

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Finally, the NEW gen that looks like the old gen but with a price increase and thinner edges will go on sale friday. Pity I'm waiting for 2013 model as I have high end 2011 and can't justify the upgrade.

I really like fusion drive, but i'll order on day one of Haswell refresh, Thats for sure. Happy for those that have been moaning though, They can now browse Facebook and twitter on a bigger screen instead of their iPhone and iPad

It's obvious your trying to justify your 2011 purchase. But really, there's no need. It's a damn fine machine.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Eleven hundred quid for a non-upgradable tablet on a stick with glass over the monitor.

The same cash could have bought an upgradable tower back in the "Apple Computer" days.

And how could I pitch this to my Mum to replace her G3 CRT iMac when all she needs is something to run a web browser & an email client, and a 17" PC laptop is hundreds of Pounds cheaper?

Sad times...
I'm not trying to defend the new iMac, but if all people need a PC for is to run a web browser and an email client, maybe they didn't need a PC in the first place. You can do that a lot more conveniently with any iOS devices (or Android if you're into that).

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
so 27" will be shipped in December....does that mean the day after the go on sale, that's not so bad ;)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Lol.. I mean, I know the 30th of November is still November but jeez Apple..

Anyway, I'm happy it's finally coming! Now lets start waiting some more for the 27"..

Nothing new with them. They always do this. I've come to expect delivery of the product the following month when they say, "Coming in November, December or any other month". iTunes for example was suppose to be delivered in October. Apple changed it on the last day of the month to now say "Coming in November" and there's only 3 days left of this month.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
I’ve been waiting for a new iMac for more than a year; the delay was longer than ever (see https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iMac ). When the new machines came out, I realized that Tim and Jon’s obsession with “slim” had gotten the better of them.

Yes, these machines are beautiful and extremely slim - if you look at them exactly at the angle we see in the PR shots.

Now when I'm sitting in front of the display, I couldn't care less about those 5mm screen edges. And I would prefer a solution where not every heat-generating component (power supply, harddisk, GPU, CPU, display...) is packed into an extremely tight space.

I’ll probably buy the 27" model, because I need a powerful desktop machine now, and I don’t have the budget for a Mac Pro and a huge screen. But I’m afraid that this Twiggy-ish machine will have heat-related problems (e.g. screen colors changing -wouldn’t be the first time) and an early death - probably a few days after the end of the warranty.

I hope this generation of iMac doesn’t mark the end of Apple as a company willing and able to build great desktop computers.

Dreading the bold bit highlighted, A lot of people have been saying this to me, that these new iMacs are the ones that will only last a few years!! if thats the case i'll need to reconsider my options, I can;t throw money at something that will be dead in a few years.

I'll be paying for fusion drive and Applecare yes. but afteR A/C my heart could go lol. This would be the first iMac i would be looking to keep for a while once the Haswell ones release as I normally sell up on 2 years with A.C with it.

We will see, but not looking good.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan

Sad times...

Why not let her keep her G3? You can't say that doesn't work for her needs.

maxira

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
A few days ago I wrote:
21'' 30 November with shipments of 2/3 weeks
27'' 21/28 December with shipments of 2/3 weeks
I guessed the day for 21'', we see shipping times
I think the same for the 27''

Apple tricksy! ;)

nonillogical

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
But they are in the exact sweet spot for maximum profits. That is the thing that matters most to Apple. If you want an el-cheapo computer, look elsewhere. If you are some sort of uber-geek wannabe, look elsewhere.

If you want the coolest computer thing that a regular person could dream for, with a slim form actor and an OS that is so easy even a cave man could use it, you get what you pay for.

I disagree that they are not in a good spot for professionals, but it depends. One of these is pretty much perfect for even intensive graphic design and web development work. Obviously if you are a 3d modeller, motion graphics designer, or film editor, you probably want a Mac Pro. Most professionals that work on macs don't need that kind of power, and a lot of you are forgetting that a base level Mac Pro with a display starts at DOUBLE the price of a nearly maxed out iMac.

I am just now switching to Mac for home use from being a PC guy, but always using a Mac at work. I have a lot of issues with apple's pricing and overall business model, but it has become a worthwhile cost to me. Anyone calling this a 'tablet' or any other such nonsense is just coming across as whiny and butthurt.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
Why Apple Why!?!?!?

I love how beautiful apple products are, however, I think they sacrificed power for the sake of thinness in this latest design. I would much rather see desktop-grade graphics rather than a uber-thin design. :(

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Any speculation on what the Apple retail stores will carry in regard to "stock CTO" configurations?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.