Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael.ross217

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
My I tunes account was hacked and I caught it with one purchase for $5.35. I immediately went on my account, disallowed my debit card and changed my password. Then, regrettably, I notified iTunes hoping for a credit for the $5.34. Little did I know this would lose me my whole account and the hundreds of dollars I've spent on apps and music in the last 2 years. At least the music I can back up. The person who got into my account changed my security questions although they didn't touch my password which leads me to believe it was a kid. Since I can't answer my security questions, I cannot reactivate my account. Any ideas on a way around this? Right now my Apple Loyalty is really starting to wain.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Not sure why you would lose loyalty to Apple. They did nothing to you. Why not trying to call them directly and see if they can do something for you. Never know but sure worth the try.

Michael.ross217

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I have done that repeatedly. That's how I know I'm not getting the account back. I suppose I would have preferred a choice or at least a heads up before they locked out my account.

bluespaceoddity

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Have you gone to a store - if within reasonable distance- with ID and computer (Hope you have a laptop) showing e-mail notifications of the account itself and iTunes receipts dating back to the time when the ID was created?
After a recent well published hacking incident Apple isn't as likely to change account info by phone anymore. Especially not if you don't have the security questions.
It certainly isn't an ideal situation. There are mile long threads all over Apple forums with people trying to get this sorted. Fortunately you were at least able to block further payments.
It doesn't help to say it but only Apple can help you with this. No one here has the ability to re-enable your account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.