Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in June, Apple announced that it was working with car manufacturers on a new "Eyes Free" mode for Siri that would integrate with voice command buttons found in an increasing number of car models to allow users to interact with Siri without needing to look at their devices' screens. As part of his iOS 6 presentation at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference, Scott Forstall displayed a slide showing that Apple was working with BMW, GM, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler, and Honda on the initiative.

chevrolet_siri_eyes_free.jpg
GM reportedly confirmed soon after that it would be bringing Eyes Free Siri to the Chevrolet Spark and Sonic within the following 12 months, and the company today announced more details on that integration. The announcement notes that Siri will be included as part of the MyLink system on several Spark and Sonic models beginning in early 2013.
In the Spark and Sonic RS, owners can use Siri in Eyes Free mode to:

- Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to Contacts on their iPhone
- Play songs in the iTunes library, and even switch music sources automatically from AM/FM/XM radio to iPod mode
- Listen to, and compose and send an iMessage or text message to a phone number or anyone in saved Contacts
- Access Calendar and add appointments
- Minimize distraction even more by keeping the screen of the iPhone from lighting up, even when Siri answers simple questions such as game scores or the dates of national holidays
- While in Eyes Free mode, Siri will not provide answers to complex questions that require displaying a web page.

Article Link: Siri 'Eyes Free' Mode Coming to Chevrolet Spark and Sonic in Early 2013

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Will 'Eyes Free' be something that dealerships can install in already purchased cars? I just bought a new vehicle and if it serves me well as my last, then it will be a decade before I even think of looking at cars...
/
/
/

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Its not an Apple car so people won't be interested. Just saying.

So, my Toyota Corolla is an 'Apple car' otherwise I wouldn't have bought it?

Good logic there.

The Spark is too small a car for me, but the Sonic looks like a nice replacement car for my Corolla if it works better with my iPhone.

2013-chevrolet-sonic-sedan-LTZ-baseball-card-GAN-233x77.png

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Will 'Eyes Free' be something that dealerships can install in already purchased cars? I just bought a new vehicle and if it serves me well as my last, then it will be a decade before I even think of looking at cars.../

Ha, yeah. I finally got a car with bluetooth and an aux port for the first time this year.

Looks like I'm always destined to be one generation behind in the automotive computer interface world.

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
eyes free solutions

If only Apple would create/enable a remote that I could be use with my iPhone then it could be easily attached to my steering wheel like this then all cars could have eyes free Siri, too.

41Lxvp2kgfL.jpg

See remote on right of steering wheel

5a71e03ae7a022f1ab48b110.L.jpg

** edit. For those asking what this is called. There are 2 models. I think these have been discontinued, but you can find them outside of amazon if you google the name a bit. I prefer the auxilary version over the bluetooth version. It works great even for non ipod music apps like Mog (which is what I use) for example.

Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth Car Kit with Remote
http://goo.gl/KuxSw

Kensington LiquidAUX Auxiliary Car Kit with Remote
http://goo.gl/zkqoV

Last edited:

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I have no problem pressing and holding the home button on my phone to activate Siri, the problem I have with Siri in the car is the poor quality of the OEM microphone and lack of noise cancellation such that Siri struggles to understand me!

Apple need to set minimum audio requirements for a car to carry the 'Siri Eyes Free' certification.

shamus109

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
cruze

I hope they also bring some sort of update to the 2013 Chevy Cruze I just bought one a week ago. Siri has certain features that work now but I still have to hold down the home button on the iPhone to activate Siri.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Ford have Ford SYNC, which is pretty impressive!
http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/

I have sync in my F150. It is impressive but you can't activate Siri on the steering wheel.

Sync or My Ford Touch was the reason i WON'T be buying a Ford. The interface is way too complicated, I have heard nothing but problems with it. It's a shame they are stuck with this agreement with Microsoft.

Sync was confusing in the beginning. But now it is quite simple to use if the driver does their research. Also dealers have begun conducting training sessions for people who need help using sync. Just go on the dealers website and see how to sign up for a class.

Which is a Microsoft product so it will be interesting to see if Ford eventually offers Siri mode in addition to Ford Sync or if they decide to just stick with one partner. It's quite possible they have a contract signed that would prevent them from offering both.

I don't think it would be any different from allowing Windows to run on a Mac with parallels. I'm sure Microsoft and Apple could come to some sort of an agreement.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
So, my Toyota Corolla is an 'Apple car' otherwise I wouldn't have bought it?

Good logic there.

The Spark is too small a car for me, but the Sonic looks like a nice replacement car for my Corolla if it works better with my iPhone.

You know you’re a fanboy if you replace your car so it works better with your iphone. LMAO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.