Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Can't wait for iFixit's repairability score.

Which will no doubt be abysmal, given Apple's latest way of doing things.

Soldering RAM in a desktop computer is definitely a new low that even an ultra thin design cannot justify.

Aren't they also using laptop drives in that new thin enclosure?

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I was looking through Apple's website for a 24" iMac option, but the obvious escaped me. I forgot that Apple doesn't believe in options.

Diamond Dave

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
Why not let her keep her G3? You can't say that doesn't work for her needs.

The screen's a bit faulty (it flickers purple every few days).

Also, it's stuck on OS X Tiger (10.4.11) which means Flash Player 10 on Safari 4, which means none of the videos on the BBC News website work, as they require Flash Player 11, etc. etc.

Compatibility with modern site content, basically.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Eleven hundred quid for a non-upgradable tablet on a stick with glass over the monitor.

Doesn't appeal in the slightest.

The same cash could have bought an upgradable tower back in the "Apple Computer" days.

And how could I pitch this to my Mum to replace her G3 CRT iMac when all she needs is something to run a web browser & an email client, and a 17" PC laptop is hundreds of Pounds cheaper?

Too expensive for the casual user, too appliance-like & limited for many professionals.

Sad times...

Reading this gave me faith that there are still rational thinkers on this forum and rational mac users in general.

Hackintoshes never looked this good. I would say the Mac Pro but Apple's willful negligence of that line of computers makes the Mac Pro a joke considering its gimped relatively the same as the iMac.

I wish Apple would put as much effort into GREAT computers as they did 10+ years ago. Its funny that Apple's best product (OS X) gets the least effort from Apple to work on and the least coverage and attention from the media and public.

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Too late (and too pricey) for me.

Went for a MacMini this Saturday (with a nice 20% discount that could have made the new iMac affordable if it had came a few days earlier...).

Apple priced me out of the iMac. I always expected they would be the same price than the current models. I know the hardware is better, but I still think that it was the current model that was overpriced, so the new one could keep things as they were.
Will set up the Mini today, hopefully everything goes well. ;)

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Lets move on!
Does anyone have a considered view on the user use changeability of memory on the 21" or will we have to wait until iFixit tear down on 11/30?

For me, the decision between 21" and 27" it will come down to reviews and tear down!! If the memory is really only accessible in the 27", then that's what I am buying. I know in the tech specs there is no mention of it for the 21", but I need to have that confirmed because I don't believe it

Broooce

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
Does Apple let you choose another shipping address in the UK, need to use work address?

Thanks

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Love Apple products just like many of you, but its sad people can't express their views on a forum, it seems if you are not a fanboy/iSheep you get a beat down in here.

How can anyone justify a price increase (in the uk at least) on the NEW iMacs but with lesser components in it than the previous years HD.NO OPTICAL ETC.

I like to be prudent and get 'value for my money' although i know I have to pay a premium for design. I will not blindly give money away to Apple sorry if I don't share your view, and I will openly challenge things I feel are not right, so deal with it, Its not "trolling" is about having an opinion

A few days ago I wrote:
21'' 30 November with shipments of 2/3 weeks
27'' 21/28 December with shipments of 2/3 weeks
I guessed the day for 21'', we see shipping times
I think the same for the 27''

Apple tricksy! ;)

You certainly got one out of the four right. :rolleyes:

The way I read it, you can pre-order the 27" on Friday as well.

So they did lie, coming in Nov? No you can order in Nov to get it in Dec. Also what about us in UK? No news on that, and when will they release the BTO prices, they must know now.

It seems there will be limited in-store 21" availability on the Friday (which means Apple met the November date) and going from the Belgian report I'd say this will be in all 400 stores world-wide.

Of course they know BTO prices; they should be on the website Friday.

Judging from the 2012 mini BTO and past iMac prices, the Fusion drive will be £200, memory will be £80 per 4GB, quad-core i7 processor upgrades will be ~£160, graphics upgrades ~£80.

3TB maybe £150, 3TB Fusion maybe £350, 768GB SSD maybe £900 or more.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Can't wait for iFixit's repairability score.

Recent iMacs haven't been too user serviceable. This one will be even less so, but if you buy an iMac you know that already. Most iMac users, i.e., the general technophobic public, buy a computer, buy AppleCare, and done. They don't service their machines like most here. iFixit is P.O.'d b/c they lose a tad more business. But the iMac is repairable at an Apple repair facility which is why you'll find plenty of them in the Apple refurb store in a few months.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Which will no doubt be abysmal, given Apple's latest way of doing things.

Soldering RAM in a desktop computer is definitely a new low that even an ultra thin design cannot justify.

Aren't they also using laptop drives in that new thin enclosure?

You don't know that the ram is soldered in any more than the HD's are soldered in :rolleyes:

StumanRH

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
I have a 21.5" iMac that I bought in March. The new iMac ought to be an obvious upgrade for me, it certainly has some attractive features in the screen, faster RAM and USB 3. But I don't want to loose a built in optical drive, I'm not keen on the idea of a 5400rpm laptop HDD and I don't like the fact that I can't upgrade the RAM (which I have done in mine).

So I'll wait for the 27" model, which is better for me and I guess I'll have to get used to an external optical drive.

There is one thing, I'm pretty sure that the resale value on my current model of iMac will stay high.

Dude, you're probably an adult and can do what you want, but my opinion is you don't need to upgrade so soon. I'm a graphic design student getting the 27". I'm upgrading from my 2007 aluminum MacBook Pro with broken optical drive (which at this point is just extra weight). I've held off for a computer I know will be Awesome! HOLLA if you're someone like me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.