Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j.applewood

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
Lol.. I mean, I know the 30th of November is still November but jeez Apple..

Anyway, I'm happy it's finally coming! Now lets start waiting some more for the 27"..

They're having fun playing with deadlines. For example, iTunes 11 banner "Coming in October" ... "Coming in November" ...

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
too late
I got my new Mini i7 yesterday with stunning Dell U monitor
for basic iMac you will buy much better mini with bigger monitor.
Yeah, i know if you say nothing but Apple, u don't have to read this post

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So they did lie, coming in Nov? No you can order in Nov to get it in Dec.

Get it in Dec? We'll see. Sounds like Apple is going to ship a handful to say its shipping but supply is going to be constrained in a major way. Otherwise they would have had these in-store a week earlier on Black Friday.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
How is suggestion an inferior alternative a solution? The Mac Mini is a poor mans computer... despite it being overpriced anyway for what you get, I should say its a 'poor mans mac'

Sorry, but youre dead wrong. Why don't you offer sound advice rather than flexing your internet forum strength?

How is a Mac Mini an inferior alternative? It was suggested for someone buying a computer for an elderly person who just browses the web and accesses email. You can get a mini and the reasonably priced display of your choice for far less than the cost of a 21.5" iMac. He also said the user has vision problems, get a 37" tv for a monitor if you want.

You can also upgrade the RAM and hard drives as needed in the mini.

Outside of a cheap PC tower this is the most sensible solution, and I doubt that a Windows 8 PC is really a viable solution when an iPad is already assumed to be too much of a change.

I'm sick and tired of the whole "I want a mid-level tower" whine. You have the mini, it's Apple's version of a mid level tower. For this particular user, the base model would be totally adequate for years to come.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Yeah right! 27" would start 'shipping in december' Same way the 21" would start shipping in November... 30th!!!

Nope, there are 31 days in December! :D

Wonder how long I'll have to sit on my credit card once I place my order. Should have never requested a reduction in my line of credit :eek: but I honestly didn't want that much! Oh well, at least I can now plan on ordering it Friday!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Very nice. I'm curious to see how well these new edition models fair in reliability and craftsmanship. I'm always hesitant to buy a new model anything and I prefer to wait for at least a 2nd generation of a model before buying.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Can't wait for iFixit's repairability score.

It will be low. iFixit will take off 2 or 3 points (out of 10) if they find a "nonstandard" screw like a pentalobe, even though they sell screwdrivers that will do the job.

If it needs more than a pair of pliers and a spudger, iFixit claims it's hard to fix.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
How is a Mac Mini an inferior alternative? It was suggested for someone buying a computer for an elderly person who just browses the web and accesses email. You can get a mini and the reasonably priced display of your choice for far less than the cost of a 21.5" iMac. He also said the user has vision problems, get a 37" tv for a monitor if you want.

You can also upgrade the RAM and hard drives as needed in the mini.

Outside of a cheap PC tower this is the most sensible solution, and I doubt that a Windows 8 PC is really a viable solution when an iPad is already assumed to be too much of a change.

I'm sick and tired of the whole "I want a mid-level tower" whine. You have the mini, it's Apple's version of a mid level tower. For this particular user, the base model would be totally adequate for years to come.

The Mini is a great computer, however, it is not a replacement for a tower. The reason for a tower is PCI-Express slots. with a Mini, you can not plug in a new graphics card, you can not plug in a RAID card. If you wish to add new hard drives, they must be external and they will cost more.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
I don't hate it. But I don't like it either.

Why does a desktop need to be ultra thin? Is this to help the guy whose image we see online of bringing his iMac to the coffee shop?

Has no CD/DVD drive. Sure you can add on an external one and use up a valuable USB port and add clutter to your desk.

Going to be hard if not impossible to upgrade.

Overall I think it looks great. But looks don't equal usefulness. It's another case of form over function. If you need a thin, sleek computer you need a laptop. If you need a thin sleek clutter free desk, you just need a thin sleek monitor. I think Apple should release a Cinema Display that looks exactly like this. That makes sense. This doesn't.

And where are the new Mac Pros? You know those things known as actual desktop computers? They have upgradable components, extra bays for drives, more RAM space, etc etc.

druiddriveby

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Yeah right! 27" would start 'shipping in december' Same way the 21" would start shipping in November... 30th!!!

By that logic they would have allowed orders for the 21.5" on the 30th of October. Which they didn't. So I think if you order a 27" on friday you will expect a 2-3 week wait.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
A few days ago I wrote:
21'' 30 November with shipments of 2/3 weeks
27'' 21/28 December with shipments of 2/3 weeks
I guessed the day for 21'', we see shipping times
I think the same for the 27''

Apple tricksy! ;)

it will only be 2-3 week wait for people who didn't order in time otherwise I expect people who order right when they're available to get them next week

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Reading this gave me faith that there are still rational thinkers on this forum and rational mac users in general.

Hackintoshes never looked this good. I would say the Mac Pro but Apple's willful negligence of that line of computers makes the Mac Pro a joke considering its gimped relatively the same as the iMac.

I wish Apple would put as much effort into GREAT computers as they did 10+ years ago. Its funny that Apple's best product (OS X) gets the least effort from Apple to work on and the least coverage and attention from the media and public.

I miss the options we used to have. I like an all in one, which we don't have anymore. I'll have to duct tape the optical drive to the back, which won't be easy with that bulbous shape. But hey, we needed a lighter and thinner desktop!

Some of the earlier all in ones had expansion ports. Sure, you had to take stuff apart, but it was designed to be done. We added a video card and RAM to our SE, so we could drive a full page monitor. There was an ethernet adapter card for my Performa 5200, and that motherboard slid right out the back. Even my snowball iMac G4 let you put in an Airport card along with the RAM. Glad I'm going with the 27" so that I can at least upgrade the RAM myself without 5 types of screwdrivers, suction cups and a hair dryer!

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
6 months ago I was going to buy a new iMac, whenever they came out.

At this point, given the redesign and likely un-servicable nature of the new design, I might as well wait for whatever they do to the Mac Pros...

You're making the right decision. FOR YOU.

If Apple had released a new iMac with no design changes, and a spec bump, I assume you would be getting ready to buy it. Others would be complaining that the old design looked dated and that Apple was no longer "innovating".

Either way, some people are happy and some people are unhappy and some people just aren't in the market for a new iMac yet.

I know the meme is that "Apple doesn't care." Of course they care! It's just that what they care about doesn't always correspond to what you care about, and Apple has never been about making everyone happy all the time.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

How can anyone justify a price increase (in the uk at least) on the NEW iMacs but with lesser components in it than the previous years HD.NO OPTICAL ETC.

The screen assembly is supposed to be better than the previous one, and probably costs significantly more to make. That may account for the price increase. I am looking forward to seeing it in person.

I don't mean it is better just because it is thinner. Getting rid of the air gap and the new anti-reflective coating should lead to an improvement in the viewing quality.

Did you consider the improved screen before you complained about the "lesser components"?

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I miss the options we used to have. I like an all in one, which we don't have anymore. I'll have to duct tape the optical drive to the back, which won't be easy with that bulbous shape. But hey, we needed a lighter and thinner desktop!

Some of the earlier all in ones had expansion ports. Sure, you had to take stuff apart, but it was designed to be done. We added a video card and RAM to our SE, so we could drive a full page monitor. There was an ethernet adapter card for my Performa 5200, and that motherboard slid right out the back. Even my snowball iMac G4 let you put in an Airport card along with the RAM. Glad I'm going with the 27" so that I can at least upgrade the RAM myself without 5 types of screwdrivers, suction cups and a hair dryer!

Why duct tape the ODD to the back? Get a shelf that mounts on the stand, and have the optical drive slot face the user. Now that the ODD is an option for those who still need one, you don't have to replicate Apple's old design.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Stop Complaining

I don't hate it. But I don't like it either.

Why does a desktop need to be ultra thin? Is this to help the guy whose image we see online of bringing his iMac to the coffee shop?

Why not? I am amazed at how some Apple product users complain, complain, complain. The things that make Apple a great company: advancement in technology and leading designs, some see as a detriment. I have a Macbook Pro Retina. I purchased the Super Drive thinking I would need it. I wasted $79 + tax. I've yet to use it and don't envision when I will have a need for it.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
At this point, given the redesign and likely un-servicable nature of the new design, I might as well wait for whatever they do to the Mac Pros...

so you perform a lot of service to your imacs? mines 6 years old and other than ram ive had zero reason to perform any "service" to it... not sure what id want to for. add more HD? have more than i need.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Eleven hundred quid for a non-upgradable tablet on a stick with glass over the monitor.

Doesn't appeal in the slightest.

The same cash could have bought an upgradable tower back in the "Apple Computer" days.

Say what? I paid $9,500 for my 'upgradeable' MacII fx, and upgrade you had to do. For what this new iMac will do specially configured out of the box is well worth the price, and you don't need to upgrade it.

If you're in a position where you need more, wait for the Mac Pro. If you don't need what iMac offeres, get a Dell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.