Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm Kantar Worldpanel shares its latest data on U.S. smartphone sales, calculating that a strong debut from the iPhone 5 has enabled Apple to retake the lead from Android in the race for the top platform. The report pegs Apple's share of the market during the August-October period at 48.1%, compared to 46.7% for Android.
Dominic Sunnebo, global consumer insight director at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, comments: "The last time we saw iOS overtake Android in the US was when the iPhone 4S was released and Apple managed to retain its lead for three consecutive periods. This time we predict that Apple will beat its previous high of 49.3% and achieve its highest ever share of the US smartphone market within the next two periods."
kantar_us_smartphones_oct12.jpg

Apple has, however, found stiffer competition from Android internationally, with Android holding 60-80% share in most other markets tracked by Kantar Worldpanel. Notable areas of weakness for Apple include Brazil (0.4%) and Spain (4.0%), but the company continues to perform fairly well in countries such as the the United Kingdom (32.7%) and Australia (29.4%).

The firm's surveys of U.S. iPhone customers finds a healthy 60/40 balance between upgrade buyers and new users, suggesting that Apple is continuing to see loyal customers while also attracting new users with the iPhone 5. According to the report, 92% of current Apple users indicate that they will purchase an iPhone as their next phone.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Retakes U.S. Smartphone Sales Lead from Android on iPhone 5 Strength

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
I live in the UK and a lot of people here are ditching the iphone as the screen is way to small, im sure its only a few but the screen issue is becoming a fact of life.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I live in the UK and a lot of people here are ditching the iphone as the screen is way to small, im sure its only a few but the screen issue is becoming a fact of life.

How is it too small? I remember people bitching it was too big in 2007. It's a phone, get a tablet if you want a big screen IMO.

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
iPhone screen is the perfect size, IMO. I wish premium Android and Windows 8 phones would have the same sized screen. Most of them are too big for me to use with 1 hand.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
This graph seems wrong...I'm pretty sure RIM has a negative share at this point.

Wowzera

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Brazil
the biggest reason for so small market share in Brazil for Apple is the very high price.

The iPhone 5 still didn't arrive here, but iPhone 4S is being sold for R$ 1.900,00 (around 900$).

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The mirroring of the two lines is pretty fascinating. They really are fighting over the same people now.

Gone are the days when they could both gain customers away from dumb-phones and both grow at ridiculous rates. Nope, now a sale for you is literally a customer stolen from the other guy.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
According to their charts, Canada has zero iPhone users and zero Android users. In fact, Canada doesn't even exists! :p

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Unfortunately Android will overtake the market cause carriers give them away for free. However I wish all those Android users would just use an iPhone once and realize it is worth the money!

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

I prefer to have something fit in my pocket. I do find it ironic how many Europeans complain about America's oversized waistlines, cars, homes, and televisions, yet you posted this.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
The mirroring of the two lines is pretty fascinating. They really are fighting over the same people now.

Gone are the days when they could both gain customers away from dumb-phones and both grow at ridiculous rates. Nope, now a sale for you is literally a customer stolen from the other guy.

If by fighting over the same people you mean they are fighting for anyone who is buying a smart phone, then yes. If you mean to say they are mirroring means Apple is capturing more of the people who debate between Android and Apple that is not what this says at all.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I have nothing against two strong contenders! Of course, they will overtake one another every now and then.

I think that are 4 categories for Android and iOS:
1) Those who prefer iOS
2) Those who prefer Android
3) Those who despise iOS/Apple
4) Those who despise Android/Google

To each his own... Although those in #3 and #4 should get a life...

At this point, RIM and MS should just be included in "others". On the other hand, I welcome them for trying.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
How is it too small? I remember people bitching it was too big in 2007. It's a phone, get a tablet if you want a big screen IMO.

Its just to small for a business user and most people I know are business users, maybe its fine for you and for most, I'm just saying for a lot of web surfing its just a bit small.

iPhoneMBAUser

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Considering there is only 1 iphone per year (and only really add significant changes every 2 years) versus over 100 android phones, this is pretty impressive.

As for the screen size, I have no problems with my iPhone5 (heck, I even prefer the smaller iPhone4). I just wish they didn't make it so thin. A thicker/bigger battery would have been more preferable.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Why would they ditch the iPhone once the screen becomes bigger?:rolleyes:

----------

...I just wish they didn't make it so thin. A thicker/bigger battery would have been more preferable.

I have always said: Since 2007, I have NEVER heard anyone complain about how thick or heavy their iPhone is.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I prefer to have something fit in my pocket. I do find it ironic how many Europeans complain about America's oversized waistlines, cars, homes, and televisions, yet you posted this.

Well my note 2 fits in my pocket fine. Im not saying this phone is for everyone at all but to use the fits in my pocket line is simply not a factor. How tight are your latex hot pants? There are obviously plenty of people that likes the iphones size but there are also alot of people that would prefer a 4.5" + which apple is losing in sales. Why not have 2 iphone sizes? There are 2macbook pros. 2 macbook air. 2 imacs etc. They dont need 100 dif sizes like samsung.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Its just to small for a business user and most people I know are business users, maybe its fine for you and for most, I'm just saying for a lot of web surfing its just a bit small.
So the business users you know are surfing the web?

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004

I look at it like this personally...

I like the aspect ratio of the iPhone 5
I like the idea of it being wider though
I don't like the idea of it being any taller

I'd rather compromise on it being the width of the iPhone 5 over giving up either the aspect ratio or making it taller.

kdarling

macrumors P6

If it was just a phone, then we could go back to the old 176x220 dumbphone black and white screens.

However, it's not just a phone:

(It's) three things: a widescreen iPod with touch controls; a revolutionary mobile phone; and a breakthrough Internet communications device.

An iPod, a phone, and an Internet communicator.

An iPod, a phone … are you getting it?

- Steve Jobs

The "widescreen iPod" and "Internet communicator" parts work really well with larger screens :)

Defending the current screen size is a poor longterm idea anyway. People tried it before the screen got simply stretched and they turned out wrong. People also claimed the iPad Mini would never happen, and they were wrong. It's quite likely that Apple will eventually increase the iPhone screen size even more.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
the biggest reason for so small market share in Brazil for Apple is the very high price.

The iPhone 5 still didn't arrive here, but iPhone 4S is being sold for R$ 1.900,00 (around 900$).

It's the tax that your government imposed ;)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The iPhone is really expensive, and if you can't afford it, your only other option is Android. I miss the pre-smarphone days when you just bought a phone that looked good and had polyphonic ringtones and you were fine for 5 years.

How did you manage back in the days when phones had tiny screens? Shouldn't a phone be portable before everything else? Otherwise you'd just take a laptop with you, which will do everything you need.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Well my note 2 fits in my pocket fine. Im not saying this phone is for everyone at all but to use the fits in my pocket line is simply not a factor. How tight are your latex hot pants? There are obviously plenty of people that likes the iphones size but there are also alot of people that would prefer a 4.5" + which apple is losing in sales. Why not have 2 iphone sizes? There are 2macbook pros. 2 macbook air. 2 imacs etc. They dont need 100 dif sizes like samsung.

I wear a tailored suit or professional slacks, not cargo pants or shorts like you likely wear. You see, not everyone who wears clothes that fit are in "latex hot pants." I just don't like to look like an unprofessional slob. Also, in case you missed the memo, there ARE two iphone sizes. Iphone 4/4S and iPhone5 are both out and have different sized screens.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
The screen size issue is interesting. If the bigger screens on Android phones are all the better for surfing the net, then why do figures consistently show that more people are surfing the net on iOS devices?

There was an interesting article about this a while ago, the jist of which was that more people in the market for a smartphone are going for iOS, whereas more people in the market for a regular phone are ending up with Android smartphones.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
Unfortunately Android will overtake the market cause carriers give them away for free. However I wish all those Android users would just use an iPhone once and realize it is worth the money!

correction. SOME android phones are very cheap/free ON contract. high end android phones are not free. older phones become cheaper/free on contract. older iphones are less than a dollar on contract.

likewise android users think only if apple users would try the openness and freedom of android, they will realize why android is so popular. all without rooting/jailbreaking, w/out voiding warranty.

after all, if cheap/free phone is the ONLY reason for a higher marketshare of Android, then these high end Android phones won't sell at all. right?

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
The iPhone is really expensive, and if you can't afford it, your only other option is Android. I miss the pre-smarphone days when you just bought a phone that looked good and had polyphonic ringtones and you were fine for 5 years.

How did you manage back in the days when phones had tiny screens? Shouldn't a phone be portable before everything else? Otherwise you'd just take a laptop with you, which will do everything you need.

Back in the day the phone was just a phone. Its now a small computer almost with phone fuctions. A laptop does not fit in your pocket. Come on does anyone buy an iphone and just use the phone function?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.