Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weesy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
i currently own an iphone 5 and older version macbook pro. the pro has always been convenient because i am a student but its just not up to speed anymore and it doesn't fit the portability needs i have right now. i've looked into both the mini and the air and they are ofcourse both great products. but i can't seem to make a decision on which way to go. should i keep my pro and just get a mini for daily things or just replace the pro all together and get an air? any suggestions? has anyone been in the same situation?

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
i currently own an iphone 5 and older version macbook pro. the pro has always been convenient because i am a student but its just not up to speed anymore and it doesn't fit the portability needs i have right now. i've looked into both the mini and the air and they are ofcourse both great products. but i can't seem to make a decision on which way to go. should i keep my pro and just get a mini for daily things or just replace the pro all together and get an air? any suggestions? has anyone been in the same situation?
The iPad mini is great, but I would give it up to keep my 13in Air. Both serve different needs, but I couldn't be a productive student without my Air.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I could not live without my MBA, but I also run Windows on it so I get the best of both worlds. I use my iphone 5 for every day use (reading, web surfing while commuting to work, quick emails etc)...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
IMO if you are a student you really need a computer. I know some people manage without it, but the amount of multi-tasking needed between projects and papers would take much longer on an ipad. When you get to the point where you use a computer as a web browser or other light task, that is when you can dump it for just an ipad.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
People often use multitasking incorrectly.

The iPad has multitasking, but what it doesn't have is the ability to have two apps side by side so you can easily move between them. Technically there is no difference between having Mail and your browser open on both devices, you still have to exit one to enter the other, the difference is that on the Air you see both and its quicker to click between them. Doing the same on the ipad is slower and more cumbersome.

If your iPad is jailbroken there is an app called Quasar which puts each app in a separate window so you can have them side by side, but without that doing this simple task is more of a hassle.

Ideally you would have both. So I would suggest a used Air and a used iPad which will give you the best of both worlds, plus, with AirDisplay you can use the iPad as a second display for your Air.

You didn't say what you are studying, but if your computer needs are more research than heavy processing why don't you keep your MacBook Pro and just add the iPad. That way you have a computer for when you need it and an ipad for all those other times. FWIW I have a 2008 MBP and my iPad 2 has stopped me from needing to upgrade it because I spend most of my time on my iPad.

Last edited:

Iamook

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I think it much defferent between ipad mini and macbook air. If i were you i will choose macbook air.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I own both and each one serves their own purpose, the MBA for traditional keyboard and mouse work and the iPad Mini is for web browsing or email reading while on the couch (or in a Lazy Boy :D) or some games.

But if you had to chose only one, get the Air.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
While I was pursuing my degree I used my MBA on a daily basis and rarely picked up my iPad. Now that I have my degree the opposite is true. You can pull off school work on an iPad ( I did so for about 2 weeks) but its in many ways a bag of hurt. Much easier to get multi app multi document work done in OSX than it is in iOS.

----------

The iPad has multitasking, but what it doesn't have is the ability to have two apps side by side so you can easily move between them. Technically there is no difference between having Mail and your browser open on both devices, you still have to exit one to enter the other, the difference is that on the Air you see both and its quicker to click between them. Doing the same on the ipad is slower and more cumbersome..

I agree, working with multiple docs/apps on an iPad is doable but cumbersome. School work for me typically involved writing a paper in a word processor while citing material from multiple PDF's and webpages, and documenting it all in a biblio app. It can be done in iOS, but its so much easier to do in OSX or Windows

doctorxring

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2006

These are two totally different "ideas".

One has a true keyboard, the other has a virtual keyboard.
A real keyboard is for serious keyboard data entry, not pecking out emails.

One has a computer operating system -- MacOS, the other is
a mobile operating system, iOS. One is hugely powerful, the
other is more limited, but absolutely effective for what it is.

One has a hard data link for bring in data and connecting accessories,
the other does not.

It all depends on how big the nut is that you want to crack.

dxr

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I had an older macbook pro, replaced it with a 13'' air. Its the best laptop i have ever owned. Highly recommend it.

I also it take it everywhere, and often leave the iPad at home. Keyboard and trackpad FTW.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
I would recommend looking at the 11" air. Its extremely portable and will do everything you will need for school. Then get a external display for use on your desk. Perfect College setup, IMO.

UnknownStudent

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012

Honestly, I went through this whole debate myself when I was in a similar situation where I was debating if I rather purchase an iPad or the new Macbook Air. Like you, I owned an iPhone4s and a old Macbook Pro during that time. Nevertheless, at the end I came to a conclusion in purchasing an iPad over the Air.

The reason why I purchased an iPad instead of the Air was primarily because of school and the connivence in carrying it around from place to place. As a business student, many of my lectures were presented in a powerpoint slides format and with the iPad I was able to view my slides and take notes on the slides directly with my finger or a stylus. This App is similar to like paint on a Windows computer where I would directly write, circle, draw, etc. on the slides. Furthermore, I also purchased a keyboard at a pretty low cost for my iPad. I was able to type notes but navigation on the word processing at times become tricky. Another down side when it comes to an iPad is that I'm not able to write a paper on it. Using my Macbook Pro is more connivence in getting the job done.

Also, browsing works just fine with the iPad and the Gaming Apps is a bonus. I now carry my iPad to school, work, and traveling. It is a great product. On the other hand, the iPad is pretty much a blow up version of the current iPhone 5 that you current own. And if you are planning to get rid of your old Macbook or not. Yet it all depends how you use either one of the product and the purpose you need them for. I hope this helped you in making a decision. :)

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008

I have both. The Air is fantastic for school, it makes my workflow much faster than it was with my older MacBook. The gestures are a lifesaver. The mini is great for relaxing, but it's not really meant for doing schoolwork. Tasks are too tedious for it to be efficient.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I have an iPhone 5, iPad mini, and an 11" MacBook Air. I would never dream of choosing either of them to replace my Air. Thank God I don't have to :D

g.c.

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
I have an iPhone 5, iPad mini, and an 11" MacBook Air. I would never dream of choosing either of them to replace my Air. Thank God I don't have to :D

I'm a law student and that's my setup. I had a 15" MBP and iPad earlier in the year and it did the trick too, but I'm loving the portability of what I have now.

As a student I would have serious trouble trying to get work done exclusively on an iPad. I could easily do without my iPhone 5 and maybe even my iPad mini, but my MacBook Air is what gets the work done. My iPad mini is for reading cases, surfing the web, grabbing my email.

So in short, get the MacBook Air 11". Going from a 15" MBP I thought it would suck, but it's actually awesome.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010

Replace it with a MBA 13, and you will have my setup. I find the MBA 11 and ipad mini too portable as a combination.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai

Ideally you would have both. So I would suggest a used Air and a used iPad which will give you the best of both worlds, plus, with AirDisplay you can use the iPad as a second display for your Air.

How does this work?

Can I use i.e. FCP X and airdisplay my preview window of FCP X to the iPad?

Please explain, thanks a lot.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
Go for the air.

As a student, you are going to need to take notes. That really needs a keyboard, and the virtual keyboard on an ipad (never mind an ipad mini) is brilliant for what it is, but once you are typing for more than 10 minutes, it's not enough.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
He said if he chooses an iPad mini he will keep his MacBook Pro.

Oops, yes, he did. Funny how a laptop (MBP) now doesn't fit portability needs.

Anyway, then, I revise my answer to say that an Air will give you the best bang for your buck in portability and flexibility.

weesy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Honestly, I went through this whole debate myself when I was in a similar situation where I was debating if I rather purchase an iPad or the new Macbook Air. Like you, I owned an iPhone4s and a old Macbook Pro during that time. Nevertheless, at the end I came to a conclusion in purchasing an iPad over the Air.

The reason why I purchased an iPad instead of the Air was primarily because of school and the connivence in carrying it around from place to place. As a business student, many of my lectures were presented in a powerpoint slides format and with the iPad I was able to view my slides and take notes on the slides directly with my finger or a stylus. This App is similar to like paint on a Windows computer where I would directly write, circle, draw, etc. on the slides. Furthermore, I also purchased a keyboard at a pretty low cost for my iPad. I was able to type notes but navigation on the word processing at times become tricky. Another down side when it comes to an iPad is that I'm not able to write a paper on it. Using my Macbook Pro is more connivence in getting the job done.

Also, browsing works just fine with the iPad and the Gaming Apps is a bonus. I now carry my iPad to school, work, and traveling. It is a great product. On the other hand, the iPad is pretty much a blow up version of the current iPhone 5 that you current own. And if you are planning to get rid of your old Macbook or not. Yet it all depends how you use either one of the product and the purpose you need them for. I hope this helped you in making a decision. :)

your reasoning for buying the ipad is one of the reasons why i am considering getting one. being able to just grab it and put it in my bag without having to worry about taking my actual laptop seems like such an easy solution. but at the same time perhaps it would be more convenient to just get a smaller air and have it all in one place, hmmm...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.