Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Back in the day the phone was just a phone. Its now a small computer almost with phone fuctions. A laptop does not fit in your pocket. Come on does anyone buy an iphone and just use the phone function?

Wait...the iPhone makes calls too!?!?!?!?

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
The iPhone is really expensive, and if you can't afford it, your only other option is Android. I miss the pre-smarphone days when you just bought a phone that looked good and had polyphonic ringtones and you were fine for 5 years.

I don't know. When I bought my android, it cost $100 more than the iPhone5 sitting next to it. But it may be the case for others.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I wear a tailored suit or professional slacks, not cargo pants or shorts like you likely wear. You see, not everyone who wears clothes that fit are in "latex hot pants." I just don't like to look like an unprofessional slob. Also, in case you missed the memo, there ARE two iphone sizes. Iphone 4/4S and iPhone5 are both out and have different sized screens.

Both are too small for a good proportion of the market. I dont wear cargo pants or shorts either. I dont think you have put a larger phone in your pocket 4.8" phone you wont notice any more.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Unfortunately Android will overtake the market cause carriers give them away for free. However I wish all those Android users would just use an iPhone once and realize it is worth the money!

Only some are 'free." And are you aware that the iPhone is also given away "free" as well.

Also - there are several popular Android phones that cost the same as the iPhone.

I use both my iPhone and Skyrocket. Your "wish" seems silly to me. Why do you care what I or someone else uses? Both of the phones I use are fantastic. love them both for different reasons. Both are well worth the money.

Do you really want only one phone manufacturer/OS to exist? Why?

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Its just to small for a business user and most people I know are business users, maybe its fine for you and for most, I'm just saying for a lot of web surfing its just a bit small.

Lots of business users spending time just surfing the web? No wonder your economy is in the sh***er.

;)

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Its just to small for a business user and most people I know are business users, maybe its fine for you and for most, I'm just saying for a lot of web surfing its just a bit small.

Well, for me surfing the web is quite fine on iPhone 4S, it's better on iPad, and it's even better on my 30" display. So, up until a certain point, the bigger the screen, the better the web surfing experience, and 30" is still not "too big" for it. So it's about the compromise in the end. Do you want a big phone with better experience or a smaller phone with a worse one.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Well my note 2 fits in my pocket fine. Im not saying this phone is for everyone at all but to use the fits in my pocket line is simply not a factor. How tight are your latex hot pants? There are obviously plenty of people that likes the iphones size but there are also alot of people that would prefer a 4.5" + which apple is losing in sales. Why not have 2 iphone sizes? There are 2macbook pros. 2 macbook air. 2 imacs etc. They dont need 100 dif sizes like samsung.

Every time a new size of iDevice is introduced it increases the work for app developers. The reason Apples devices are so popular with developers is that its relatively easy to test on all the current available devices. The iPhone 5 has just introduced a new size and its been a lot of work to get apps updated in many cases. If you introduce yet another size that work has to be done all again and some apps get bigger because of all the different sizes of the same graphic that have to be included.

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
Only some are 'free." And are you aware that the iPhone is also given away "free" as well.

Also - there are several popular Android phones that cost the same as the iPhone.

I've always been confused by those comments as well. The hottest androids right now (galaxy SIII, Galaxy Note II), cost as much or considerably more than the the iphone5 on contract. The 4s is one of the least expensive phones on the rack, while other iphones are free. So it can't be about price - at least in the US.

Deslock

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2004
I've been saying it for a couple years: Apple's one-size-fits-all approach has advantages but is going to hurt the iPhone's marketshare longterm. Though I personally find the Note 2 to be a bit too large, a lot of people like it.

IMO the rumored Galaxy S4 (A15, 5", 1080x1920, 440 DPI) sounds incredible. Apple should keep the current 4" form-factor and add another 5"-6" model (perhaps 1280x2272, 435-521 DPI).

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
Unfortunately Android will overtake the market cause carriers give them away for free. However I wish all those Android users would just use an iPhone once and realize it is worth the money!

I had an iPhone until recently - and the answer is NO. Got a Galaxy Note with 80GB (64GB miniSD). for 600€ ~ 780$ and it's way better (IMO of course). As Apple had a marketshare of 90% with the iPhone 1 and now have 19% incl. iPhone 5 that argument fails completely - at least in Germany and the biggest part of Europe.

p.s. Please dont come with the plastic argument, because 99% of iPhone users have a cover and don't see the original design again until they sell it or else.

p.s.2: And no I don't dislike Apple ( quite the contrary) but iOS is really dated and way too restricting ------- if you feel different -good, buy an iPhone.

I live in the UK and a lot of people here are ditching the iphone as the screen is way to small, im sure its only a few but the screen issue is becoming a fact of life.

Yes, I would prefer a slightly larger screen but I don't agree the iPhone 5 is "way to small".

After two years of owning an HTC Desire I've just bought my first iPhone. Not much difference in screen size. If I had been buying a phone/web browser on a standalone basis I guess I would have choosen the Samsung S3, but what is of primary interest to me is the integration with other Apple products.

But even the S3 screen isn't large enough for serious browsing—I'll probably use an iPad mini wirelessly tethered to the iPhone when travelling without my MacBook Air.

Last edited:

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
The iPhone is really expensive, and if you can't afford it, your only other option is Android. I miss the pre-smarphone days when you just bought a phone that looked good and had polyphonic ringtones and you were fine for 5 years.

I sometimes wonder if Nokia did a "retro-release" of there flagship phones like the 8890 or 8800 and sold them cheap if people would buy those to use on certain occasions when going out? Sometimes I wish I had a 8801 again. I got the idea from how Nike re-releases some of there old shoes.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Every time a new size of iDevice is introduced it increases the work for app developers. The reason Apples devices are so popular with developers is that its relatively easy to test on all the current available devices. The iPhone 5 has just introduced a new size and its been a lot of work to get apps updated in many cases. If you introduce yet another size that work has to be done all again and some apps get bigger because of all the different sizes of the same graphic that have to be included.

Well technology is moving fast. They cant expect to keep the same resolution forever. Plus they make allot more money from ios. Whats abit of work for them?

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011

That doesn't apply to android though (unless you are a game developer).

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
How is it too small? I remember people bitching it was too big in 2007.

Maybe the smartphone market has change since the pre-iPhone days?

The real problem with Apple is not that the iPhone is too big or too small but that it only comes in one size. Go to S-you-know-who and you can choose between a Galaxy Note 2 (5.5") a Galaxy S3 (4.5") and a Galaxy S3 mini. Of course, you can also get a sprawling range of other models with bewildering permutations of features - which Apple is wise to avoid - but they could offer 2 or 3 sizes of iPhone without confusing customers.

The point about a 'phablet' phone is that it still fits into your pocket unlike a tablet. The device you have with you is always better than the one you didn't bring because you didn't want to carry a bag.

So, for example, if you usually carry a laptop (because you might need to do some real work) a 'phablet' for on-the-go internet and media complements it nicely. On the other hand, if you carry an iPad rather than a laptop, an 'iPhone mini' would be the ideal companion for phone calls and internet tethering.

Personally, I'd have rather seen an Apple phablet than an iPad Mini. I've never seen the point of the 7" format: too big to use as a phone, too small to use as a tablet, not as nice as a proper ebook reader for reading... I think the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire are shifting because they're cheap rather than anything magical about the size.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
I am in business, and half of my business is web related. That's pretty common now.

Two hours ago I was in a meeting where the client suddenly remembered something online he wanted to show.. We didn't have a laptop or ipad and the iphone screen was just to smal and fiddly to really see what was he wanted to show me. He called in a colleague who had a Galaxy something or other ( Im not a fan) and it really worked on a larger screen. This is what im saying, its a lovely phone the 4s and the 5 and I have the 4's and I crow on about the build quality, spec and the fab pocket size, but in todays business world I work in the screen is just a bit small and narrow.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
IOS is to Android as to what McDonalds is to ALL OTHER FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS.

Maybe a bad analogy, but my point is people aren't (usually) in the market for just an "Android", they're looking for a "Samsung Galaxy", or an "HTC Droid", or an "LG Nexus", etc.

Comparing operating systems has it's place, but we're talking about one platform versus multiple platforms.

In that respect, Apple is doing AMAZING.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.