Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Original poster
The Wall Street Journal claims that Samsung will finally begin using its flexible AMOLED screens starting in 2013... perhaps with the Galaxy S4.

Interesting possibilities, such as being able to fold the phone like a wallet. Or perhaps just making it easier to fit in a rear jean pocket.

samsung_flex2.png

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How does one fold a phone with a flexible display that is surrounded in another material that isn't flexible or is the thought that the phone will be what is showcased in the demo?

The other issue is that it appears the ability to return to original form is lacking. I don't want a phone sitting on my desk that looks like a crumpled piece of plastic. Notwithstanding, there are probably possibilities for this, just not in 2013.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
How does one fold a phone with a flexible display that is surrounded in another material that isn't flexible or is the thought that the phone will be what is showcased in the demo?

The other issue is that it appears the ability to return to original form is lacking. I don't want a phone sitting on my desk that looks like a crumpled piece of plastic. Notwithstanding, there are probably possibilities for this, just not in 2013.

that would be my biggest concern....plus what really is the benefit? I'm sure it would make it less prone to damage, but I just don't see the upside to it. I'm not gonna fold it over and hang it on a hook.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
that would be my biggest concern....plus what really is the benefit? I'm sure it would make it less prone to damage, but I just don't see the upside to it. I'm not gonna fold it over and hang it on a hook.

Even though it will bend, bends can turn to creasing. There are just a lot of other issues that can be introduced with something like that. Sometimes forward technology can be more problematic.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Original poster

It seems obvious that it could be surrounded with a material that would return the screen to a normal shape. Perhaps like those flexible struts in popup baskets and tents.

I suspect though, that instead of being very loose as in the demos, such a display would simply be used to allow the phone to be more flexible without damage, as opposed to say, using a rigid and non-radio-transparent aluminum case.

Even today's large Samsung phones are thin enough to fit in most pockets, but imagine if subsections of it flexed a bit to follow body curves. A 5" to 6" screen that flexed even a little bit would fit more easily in a rear pants pocket.

A downside is that it would make it improbable to have a glass protective cover screen. It would need some kind of scratch proof plastic instead.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Really interested in seeing how this will be implemented. They're pushing technology forward, so this is very cool.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

This would be my question also. Even if they encased it in something flexible like rubber how would they make the circuit boards flexible as well? Very interesting stuff though and I can't wait for them to solve it and have a foldable phone with a huge screen when unfolded.

edit: just watched the video, WOW that is freaking sick. Maybe it will be a regular phone sized control unit that stays in your pocket and then you have a wireless flexible display that you can roll up. They way they were bending that screen it looked like it could have definitely been rolled up and put in your pocket.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Original poster
Really interested in seeing how this will be implemented. They're pushing technology forward, so this is very cool.

I doubt Samsung would do this for a while yet, but I can foresee both ornamental and enterprise field app uses for an eventual bracelet style that rolls around your forearm, but which perhaps can be removed and made to go flat as well.

Philips Electronics R&D presented such a concept not long ago, called "Fluid":

philips_fluid.png

As a side note, I do believe that flexible, printable OLED screens will one day be throwaway cheap. I told my daughter that she'll live to see magazines with built-in displays in the pages.

(Heck, a recent special edition of Entertainment Weekly magazine included a thin Android phone based advertisement screen, but it was rigid. )

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Neat stuff! Will certainly make larger screens more comfortable to pocket.

Just hope your phone doesn't become permanently butt shaped.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I doubt Samsung would do this for a while yet, but I can foresee both ornamental and enterprise field app uses for an eventual bracelet style that rolls around your forearm, but which perhaps can be removed and made to go flat as well.

Philips Electronics R&D presented such a concept not long ago, called "Fluid":

View attachment 380003

As a side note, I do believe that flexible, printable OLED screens will one day be throwaway cheap. I told my daughter that she'll live to see magazines with built-in displays in the pages.

(Heck, a recent special edition of Entertainment Weekly magazine included a thin Android phone based advertisement screen, but it was rigid. )

So did Nokia

http://agbeat.com/gadgets/smartphon...ble-smartphone-concept-uses-nanotechnologies/
http://mashable.com/2011/10/26/nokia-flexible-device/

nokia-concept-phone.jpg

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I imagine the first use of flexible screens will just be for preventing damage.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
In theory, if the entire outer casing of a phone was made out of a bendy, gel-like substance, it would be safe if you flung it against a wall, so long as that wasn't hard enough to cause the insides to collide and damage each other.

That sort of protection would be amazing. You'd never worry about dropping the phone again. Would be put accidental damage insurers out of business :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.