Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Actually yes I would prefer if Apple had a monopoly. As a developer having many different browsers or phones is quite a horrific challenge. We need one standard or 2 max.

Only some are 'free." And are you aware that the iPhone is also given away "free" as well.

Also - there are several popular Android phones that cost the same as the iPhone.

I use both my iPhone and Skyrocket. Your "wish" seems silly to me. Why do you care what I or someone else uses? Both of the phones I use are fantastic. love them both for different reasons. Both are well worth the money.

Do you really want only one phone manufacturer/OS to exist? Why?

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I don't know. When I bought my android, it cost $100 more than the iPhone5 sitting next to it. But it may be the case for others.

the iPhone 5 is $650. the Note 2 sells for around the same, and the gs3 sells for under $600. (base models compared)

if you paid $100 more than the comparable iPhone 5, you got ripped off.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Fantastic! If this trend continues, Android should be extinct within 2-3 years. The iPhone 5 is not only the best phone but probably the best *thing* that has ever been invented.

I actually feel pretty sorry for people who buy Android phones. Often they're tricked into it by pushy sales staff, or they're just seriously deluded people who believe that their phone is better.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
And what about companies that buy them for the salesforce and middle management? Surely they are not concerned with such vanities.

It's rather silly to suggest an iPhone is less of a smartphone than Android. iPhone does just as much, if not more, than Android because of it's larger, more useful, app library. Most consumer companies develop iOS apps before Android, IF they develop an Android app.

i wasn't suggesting that in the least.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Unfortunately Android will overtake the market cause carriers give them away for free. However I wish all those Android users would just use an iPhone once and realize it is worth the money!

Especially the iPhone 4. People need to realize these things.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I live in the UK and a lot of people here are ditching the iphone as the screen is way to small, im sure its only a few but the screen issue is becoming a fact of life.

And I've heard people (e.g. co-workers and my sis) who got the S III and are now complaining the phone is too big to easily manage one-handed. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I don't personally like that humongous form factor in a phone, so I stuck with the smaller phone, and got an iPad Mini for those occasions when I want a portable tablet.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why do people keep referring to Apple and Android? One is a company and the other is a mobile operating system. If anything it should be Apple and Samsung as they're the only two selling lots of smartphones and making decent profits.

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
Maybe. Maybe not. Could be too late for them. A lot of consumers and businesses alike have been with iOS or Android for sometime now. Consumers have collected a library of apps; business have developed custom apps for employees.

Just like when Apple was touting Mac ease of use superiority in the 90s, but came up very short as consumers and companies stuck with Windows because change is hard AND expensive, likely same out come here. It's not just a matter of marketing. People are becoming set in their ways and the only thing that overcomes that is when the product they use fails them in some way. But Android and iOS satisfaction among respective users is very high right now.

That's true to some extent, but the organizational cost of adapting to a platform is usually more associated to its integration with existing systems. That's not so much the case with smartphones because they are not really integrated with IT.

Now that said, I know many IT departments are really raising their eyebrows with the arrival of the surface pro, because it does integrate completely with existing IT systems. Considering that MS phones now integrate tightly within their own ecosystem... it's really the IT geeks of these corporations who are watching carefully to see where MS takes all of this over time. It's quite possible that this is the gradual beginning of a new day for MS. Will be interesting to see.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Apple does this with one phone. They pit the iPhone against all the various different Android phones all put together. These results are amazing.

Always found the sales figures for the iPhone impressive given the competition it goes up against. I think we are starting to approach a saturated market in many countries for smart phones and feature bloat is already happening with some of the high end models so I think its going to get interesting. As manufacturers relying heavily on Android have to find unique selling points its going to be harder for Google to keep a lid on fragmentation and who knows where M$ will go now that Windows 8 with Metro is mainstream. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next 5 to 10 years but I think its going to end up very different to what we see today.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
iPhone screen is the perfect size, IMO. I wish premium Android and Windows 8 phones would have the same sized screen. Most of them are too big for me to use with 1 hand.

So what are you going to do when Apple increases the physical size of the iPhone, or do you think they will keep and only offer the same size for the next 5, 10, 15, 20+ years?

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
The mirroring of the two lines is pretty fascinating. They really are fighting over the same people now.

Not necessarily. Market share is a percentage of overall sales so this could be interpreted many ways. And given that so many people are still switching from "dumb" phones to smartphones, it's doubtful your interpretation is accurate. It could also mean that more newcomers to the smartphone market are choosing iPhones while existing users are staying where they are.

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
the iPhone 5 is $650. the Note 2 sells for around the same, and the gs3 sells for under $600. (base models compared)

if you paid $100 more than the comparable iPhone 5, you got ripped off.

Nope. The vast majority of people buy on contract. The iphone5 is $199. Same as Galaxy SIII and other cutting edge phones. Galaxy Note II is $299. Iphone 4s is $99.00, and previous version free with contract.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Fantastic! If this trend continues, Android should be extinct within 2-3 years. The iPhone 5 is not only the best phone but probably the best *thing* that has ever been invented.

I actually feel pretty sorry for people who buy Android phones. Often they're tricked into it by pushy sales staff, or they're just seriously deluded people who believe that their phone is better.

A friend at work just bought his wife an iPhone5 and is amazed by it's speed.

He's now ready to get a new phone himself, and what is he getting?
A Galaxy S III

Why?

Because he does not like the overly controlled way Apple run things.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Funniest post so far. You think Android is on its way to extinction. Because of the US numbers? Did you even read the other part of the article or did you stop when you saw the US stats. In the world - Android hold 60-80 percent. In other words - it's not going anywhere.

The iPhone is the best thing ever invented? Scary that you think that. Especially with all the medical discoveries and equipment being invented. Maybe you mean consumer electronic device. In which case - I'd still argue that point.

And you feel sorry for people who buy Android? OK. Well I feel sorry for you that you're so limited in your experience and views on the technological landscape that currently exists.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
kantar_us_smartphones_oct12.jpg

That will help with the overall battle.

android-market-share-idc-q3-2012.png

Another battle is pre-paid no contract vs. contracts.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
MS is doing more that just trying. In many ways they have out done android.

If they get their marketing in order and get more product out they will become a big player.

Agreed! and from what I've heard from BB10, it seems RIM is more than trying as well. Might be too little too late, though.

midgetsanchez

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009

LOL. As a developer that works on both iOS and Android all I can do is laugh at people like you when I visit this forum (surely you're not serious)? It's a matter of user preference, iOS is easier to use and more intuitive however Android blows iOS away when it comes to actual features/customization. I have an iPhone 5 that I develop on and and love, it's a great phone. But I personally prefer my Nexus 4 for daily use and in my opinion it's definitely the best phone I've ever owned. As I type it's sitting on a starbucks counter wirelessly charging. I love NFC and use it almost daily to pay for stuff (and can't wait for peer-to-peer payments via NFC in the next google wallet update.). Google Maps with navigation on android is far more useful than apple maps. I love android's multitasking and how it actually shows window previews that slide away slickly if I want to close them.
rGOWd.png
The newer google voice search is far more accurate/responsive than Siri. The screen looks better than the iPhone 5 (text is much crisper and easier to read). And my favorite, Google Now gives me useful information without any input from me (ex. when a package i've ordered has been shipped, when my stocks have moved, when i'm near a popular photo spot, etc...).
google-now-package-tracking.png

At the end of the day it's about personal preference. I think the iPhone 5 is a fantastic designed phone, but I personally find iOS too watered-down/limiting for my needs. My wife prefers iOS cause it's easier to use. I love apple's design and hardware but I think iOS needs a new haul ... it just feels kind of old.

Last edited:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I live in the UK and a lot of people here are ditching the iphone as the screen is way to small, im sure its only a few but the screen issue is becoming a fact of life.

The screen of the iPhone 5 is the largest one yet and its also selling stronger than its predecessors - so your friends don't seem to share the public opinion :D

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

This guys speaks for the whole of the UK, obviously. :D

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
However I wish all those Android users would just use an iPhone once and realize it is worth the money!

I had an iPod Touch and iPad 1, and switched to an HTC Evo 3D and Nexus 7. My dad had a dumb phone and iPod touch, and switched to a galaxy S3. Another of my family members went from an iPhone 3GS to an Android handset. My good friend had an iPhone, and went to an S3. Another of my friends went from an iPhone 3G, to an LG? Android handset. Should I keep going.... Your plan is pretty useless... A lot of people have questioned me about what my Nexus 7 was, and after a brief overview of how much more it does than any iPad, i'm quite convinced many of those people will be switching over to Android. Even before I tell them how much cheaper the Nexus 7 is, they are still on board, meaning it is the features that people like, not just its low price.

Android should be extinct within 2-3 years. The iPhone 5 is not only the best phone but probably the best *thing* that has ever been invented.
wtf? Simmer down fanboy... The world doesn't agree with you, as evidenced by the sales charts provided on this thread.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
As a developer, I'm rooting for iOS since it makes my life much easier (easier to develop for, more paying customers). Gave Android a chance, but it was no different than the old BlackBerry days. Don't let people tell you that device fragmentation is a myth.

And yes, my personal phone is an iPhone. Gotta be able to show off your work. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.