Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Next up: SIRI "Voice Free" - While you're driving, just simply think really hard about what your iPhone to do...and it will cause you to crash your car.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Will 'Eyes Free' be something that dealerships can install in already purchased cars? I just bought a new vehicle and if it serves me well as my last, then it will be a decade before I even think of looking at cars...
/
/
/

If your vehicle can already connect to the internet via bluetooth through your iPhone, there may be hope for using this newer technology. We'll have to wait and see.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Not sure what's so complicated about a car stereo that uses standard bluetooth connection profiles to activate the voice activation on your cell phone. most $15 bluetooth headsets can activate siri or whatever voice activation software your phone has (google voice, vlingo, etc if you have an android)...so the novelty here is using standard connection profiles instead of proprietary ones? well done... :/

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Never EVER! Say Ford SYNC is impressive, beyond the technical level :mad:

I agree...and these new car stereos contradict my philosophy completely. just put in a display, and add an A/V hookup for an iphone or android and let the smartphone be the brains. a smartphone will have updates to software and are much more capable than a stand-alone headunit that has limited functionality and costs $140/year to update maps. not to mention voice recognition on smartphones (siri, google voice commands, vlingo, etc) are far more capable than that of a ford SYNC or something similar. not to mention smartphones have all of your media, contacts, and addresses already stored and synced up with icloud or google account or what have you. let the smartphone be the brain, and just put a display in the car and things will be much better.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Sync or My Ford Touch was the reason i WON'T be buying a Ford. The interface is way too complicated, I have heard nothing but problems with it. It's a shame they are stuck with this agreement with Microsoft.

I actually just bought a new fusion with my ford touch and I really think the issues with it our blown out of proportion or else are taken care of with the newest update/vehicles. It connects and works great.

So far, I have no complaints besides the touch screen/speed of the system obviously not being iPhone quality :p

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
If they can find someway to minimize the road noise it will pick up this will be great. That's the only reason I don't use Siri now through my cars bluetooth. If I try to dictate a sentence or look something up it very rarely got it correct.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Do you really need to use "eyes free" when you're not moving while in park? And do you really need to grip the steering wheel like you're driving whiel stopped in park?

propinquity

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
My Parrot 9000mki hands-free system already has Siri integration. I can make phone calls, dictate text and email messages, ask for directions, etc. The Parrot system pipes Siri's responses through my 2002 Ford Escape's speaker system. Well, when Siri is working, that is.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
Eyes Free all the time

I love siri, but it really needs to be eyes free just in general.

The amount of times I have to look at the screen when using siri is mind boggling. If I'm using Siri, it's probably because I CAN'T look at the screen - either in a car (with no bluetooth), or running???

Seriously, I'm in the car with Siri. I give it an address and it starts guiding me (I haven't looked at the phone yet). Now I ask it how long till I arrive - It can't answer that - you have to look at the screen. Is there traffic - It can't answer that - you have to look at the screen.

How about Weather forecast? Siri will only SHOW you the weather, not tell you. If I could look at the phone, it would have been faster to just press the weather button. I was asking Siri specifically because I COULDN'T SEE the screen.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You know you’re a fanboy if you replace your car so it works better with your iphone. LMAO

It's one of many things I look at when buying a car.

When I was younger, I wanted a fast and sexy car with leather seats and a sun roof, and I cared less about gas mileage, reliability, safety, number of passengers or trunk space, which I care about now.

'How it works with my phone', Navigation devices, Satellite Radio, etc. are all features that could sway me between 2 similar vehicles. It's not fanboy at all to want more convenience. It's only fanboy to choose that car over all other cars BECAUSE OF that feature, and that's not me, and I very much doubt it's more than 1% of fanboys that would do that.

kenboy127

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Is it just me or does Siri over bluetooth sound like crap? I have tried it in a Toyota, Infiniti, and a Lexus - all sounded terrible. The weird thing is that music over bluetooth sounds crisp and clear. What gives?

thalazy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
In a van down by the river.
Just like Sync

Just Bought a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium which includes Sync with Ford touch. The system is impressive, it has a definite learning curve but that is to be expected. Only disappointment for me is that because I have an iphone it will not allow text to speech or the like, so no incoming or outgoing text till I am parked. For those that hate it it's been said that they will be improving it even more and once released may even be available as a free update for exisiting owners.
http://microsoft-news.com/2014-ford...ice-recognition-navigation-and-phone-pairing/
On topic: Still nice for other's who don't want a Ford vehicle.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
:eek:

I see no mention of the Ford Sync here.. Probably coz it doesn't need it, but would have been good... Probably better than what ford does now with Sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.