Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yeah, I've actually come to loathe physical home screen buttons. I never noticed this until Cynics pointed it out, but the fact that you have to apply pressure to depress the button (whereas with the on-screen keys, you just have to tap lightly) makes it feel cumbersome and slow, especially when you're lying down. Not to mention, there's no such thing as the home button failing.

Funnily, when Google first introduced the on screen keys, I was very skeptical of it, overly concerned with whether it'll lag or be unresponsive. It's worked 100% of the time (as do the back and app-switcher screen buttons).

I find it sad that Samsung is sticking with the physical buttons. They used to be capacitive (US versions, anyway). Some things you don't copy from Apple. ;)
I'm getting to like the on-screen buttons. They don't seem to be part of the same LCD sometimes. One thing is for sure: they won't get "sticky" over time. They won't be a magnet for that one drop of splashed coffee, milk, whatever. And they can change position or appearance.

I was, and to an extent still am, concerned that they are taking away screen real-estate. The only thing that seems to hide them on the stock OS are videos. They, or their space, is even there during photo slide-shows. I had hoped they would hide more frequently, such as during games--perhaps as an option.

I did install Hide Bar that will hide them. But it is not an ideal solution. It is nice though to play a game using the whole screen. Ditto for browsing the web and/or other apps where the bigger the screen the better.

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Oh one more thing, which for me was interesting: yesterday I went to use my iPhone 4S and reached for the non-existent side power button to turn it on. :)

Michael

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Brace !!!!!!

ruzybuda.jpg

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I'm going to start refreshing the 16gb page about 15 minutes before Noon pst. Hopefully I can get one and put my iPhone 5 on eBay.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Well it's been 5 business days and no shipping notification for my bumper.

Now comes the joy of Google support. :(

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I ordered mine a couple of days before you Chaz, I got a message that there was a problem so cancelled and re ordered on the 20th, nothing as yet and no explanation as to what went wrong the first time.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I ordered mine a couple of days before you Chaz, I got a message that there was a problem so cancelled and re ordered on the 20th, nothing as yet and no explanation as to what went wrong the first time.

Good to know it isn't just me (bad to see Google can't even get this right). :(

Thanks Dave! :D

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
12:15 PST and not available still.

EDIT: I am retarded. Forgot the clocks went back. In the summer Arizona has the same time as pacific. Still 45 min to go.

Michael

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA literally the SAME EXACT THING happened and I couldn't get the checkout process to work.

This is literally unbelievable how downright ****ing pathetic Google is at selling their own product. What a horrible piece of **** company dear god.

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
This product launch could be better handled by a 5th grader selling phones out of his locker, this is just a complete joke.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Once again the ordering process is a joke!!!!!

Three times it was in my cart and 3 times google play removed it!

Did they learn NOTHING in the last two weeks?

Mike

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Imagine being one of the richest and most powerful internet companies in the world and not being able to design a properly functioning checkout site.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
So out was another turd experience then?

How hard can it be? Let people preorder, then fulfill orders in timely manner.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Once again the ordering process is a joke!!!!!

Three times it was in my cart and 3 times google play removed it!

Did they learn NOTHING in the last two weeks?

Mike

Same here. I was able to get both in a cart multiple times and couldn't get further than that.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
So out was another turd experience then?

How hard can it be? Let people preorder, then fulfill orders in timely manner.

These practically are preorders. When I did get it in my cart said ships in several weeks. The 8GB was 4-5 weeks! Not that it actually STAYS in my cart.

Wow. Had I gone through this the first time I likely would have given up and said forget it. Google is making a big mistake here.

Michael

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
If Google can't even manage to build a functioning checkout website, how could I trust them to manage all of my personal data and sensitive work emails/files?

Think I'm done trying to get a hold of one of these, I'll stick with the iPhone.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Got it in my cart again and now am getting:"Due to high demand, your order could not be processed. Please try again later."

But this time it stayed in cart, at least for now. Just got "Oops, we had trouble processing your request. We're working on fixing the issue. Please try again later." message again. Probably out of cart. Ugh.

Edit: Out of my cart again. I'm done with this nonsense. Unreal.

Michael

The Face

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
I literally cannot believe they made the same mistakes again, what a joke, they learnt nothing from last time.

- Several weeks shipping on an "in stock" item
- Making no where near enough to meet demand, again
- Website flooded with errors whilst trying to order, again

Google has failed hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.