Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Fantastic! If this trend continues, Android should be extinct within 2-3 years. The iPhone 5 is not only the best phone but probably the best *thing* that has ever been invented.

I actually feel pretty sorry for people who buy Android phones. Often they're tricked into it by pushy sales staff, or they're just seriously deluded people who believe that their phone is better.

I wonder how much you get paid to post this drivel.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Are the phones that you refer to even reflected in these statistics? I mean if they are "data-less" phones as you say, then they are not part of this demographic. Right?

I could be wrong but I think what a "smartphone" is is defined by its ability to have "smart" features like emailing, web-browsing, apps, etc., not the fact that it's sold with a data plan.

Someone could buy an iPhone at full-price and only activate a voice and text plan on it, and it would still be a smartphone. It's just that its "smart" features would only be available on Wi-Fi.

Some of the most popular Android phones are prepaid phones you can get for really cheap without a contract or data plan. People buy those as dumphones, they rarely do anything with them other than talking and texting. People who buy those weren't in a market for a phone like an iPhone, they just wanted a cheap basic phone.

Samsung revealed their sales numbers in court with Apple and (of the phones included), their best-selling Android device in the U.S. was the prepaid $179.99 Galaxy Prevail. This probably changed since the GS3's success but I'm sure those cheap prepaid Android 2.3 are still popular and I don't see why they wouldn't be included in those kind of charts. They technically are smartphones as well.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
So what are you going to do when Apple increases the physical size of the iPhone, or do you think they will keep and only offer the same size for the next 5, 10, 15, 20+ years?

Apple will never increase the physical size of the iPhone. And iPhone Mini should be coming out soon.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Fantastic! If this trend continues, Android should be extinct within 2-3 years. The iPhone 5 is not only the best phone but probably the best *thing* that has ever been invented.

I actually feel pretty sorry for people who buy Android phones. Often they're tricked into it by pushy sales staff, or they're just seriously deluded people who believe that their phone is better.

Why do you care?

You prefer iPhone, good for you! As do I. I have lots of friends in my field (software developers, not sheep that follow trends) that do prefer Android, good for them! And most of us have used and developed for both platforms!

And why do I read these posts and worse, comment them! Shame on me! :p

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
As a developer, I'm rooting for iOS since it makes my life much easier (easier to develop for, more paying customers). Gave Android a chance, but it was no different than the old BlackBerry days. Don't let people tell you that device fragmentation is a myth.

And yes, my personal phone is an iPhone. Gotta be able to show off your work. :cool:

Good for you, but Android isn't going to die off or anything, you're only going to feel more pressure to put your apps on "that other platform".

Ie. you may not like Android, but it's just going to get more difficult to ignore it.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
The mirroring of the two lines is pretty fascinating. They really are fighting over the same people now.

Gone are the days when they could both gain customers away from dumb-phones and both grow at ridiculous rates. Nope, now a sale for you is literally a customer stolen from the other guy.

This is a proportion graph, not total sales. See "% Smartphone Sales Share" on the y-axis.

If the iPhone suddenly sells more, the Android line will drop even if Android sales don't actually slow down.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
My wife has said she would love an iPhone the size of an iPod nano. I tend to think this is more where Apple will go rather than a larger size.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I could be wrong but I think what a "smartphone" is is defined by its ability to have "smart" features like emailing, web-browsing, apps, etc., not the fact that it's sold with a data plan.

So the original iPhone wasn't a smartphone but a feature phone according to your definition. I agree. I'm not sure others will.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Unfortunately Android will overtake the market cause carriers give them away for free. However I wish all those Android users would just use an iPhone once and realize it is worth the money!

While I agree Apple makes the nicer device, a $900 telephone is a luxury item. A Ferrari is also worth the money, but it's still more money than most people are willing to spend on a mode of transportation.

In one of the towns I stayed in for a week this summer, there was one phone for the whole village. The next village over would walk an hour to come use it. The whole time I was there, I didn't see it get used even once.

Somehow, all the people managed to come across genuinely happy and friendly despite this glaring lack of iPhones.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I wish they made it slightly wider. The keyboard is too damn small for my slightly big hands. Oh well, I'm happy with Android. IMO Mac > Windows, iPad > Android Tablets, and High-end Android phones (S2, S3, Optimus, Nexus) > iPhone. I also feel iPhone needs a UI update. My Android runs buttery smooth, lets me fully customize from themes to system tweaks, and the app market is very similar.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
So the original iPhone wasn't a smartphone but a feature phone according to your definition. I agree. I'm not sure others will.

What are you talking about? Every iPhone including the first could do all of those things, thus making them a smartphone...

xibis

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
After 5.5 years, I finally switched from the iPhone to the Galaxy S3 because of the screen size and the lack of innovation in iOS. The iPhone 5 and iOS6 were a big disappointment to me. I was hoping we were going to get the iPhone we were shown mock-ups for back in 2011 prior to the 4S. After using the Galaxy 3S for the past 2 weeks, I'm very pleased but would consider coming back to the iPhone if they actually make a larger screen and improve iOS. I still love my iPads and Macs, but feel that Android is taking the lead in the phone market.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Unfortunately Android will overtake the market cause carriers give them away for free. However I wish all those Android users would just use an iPhone once and realize it is worth the money!

Ditto to you, you should try a flagship Android phone and realize it is worth the money.

----------

After 5.5 years, I finally switched from the iPhone to the Galaxy S3 because of the screen size and the lack of innovation in iOS. The iPhone 5 and iOS6 were a big disappointment to me. I was hoping we were going to get the iPhone we were shown mock-ups for back in 2011 prior to the 4S. After using the Galaxy 3S for the past 2 weeks, I'm very pleased but would consider coming back to the iPhone if they actually make a larger screen and improve iOS. I still love my iPads and Macs, but feel that Android is taking the lead in the phone market.

I will buy whatever iPhone that has a larger screen without sharp edges. the phone is a beauty but very unconfortable to hold for long conversations.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada

Uh?
Why? Because the app store didn't exist? I said apps, not app store, which the original iPhone did come with. It was just shorter for me to write "apps" than to enumerate all the standard apps which people expect to come bundled with a smartphone.

AFAIK the smartphone "app store" concept didn't even exist before iPhone OS 2, so by your logic no smartphone ever existed until 2008.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
It should be no surprise that the iPhone has only 0.4 market share here in Brazil. After all, we have the most expensive iPhone in the world. The 4S base model sells for US$ 1,000 (and that's after a steep price drop following the international release of the iPhone 5, which by the way is not available here yet).

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What are you talking about? Every iPhone including the first could do all of those things, thus making them a smartphone...

Really? The original iPhone didn't have exchange email. No app store. No MMS.

It was a slick feature phone.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I seriously doubt these numbers are reliable. Just the sales of the the galaxy s3 and the note II combined already combined is more than the iphone. Not to mention the razr series is extremely popular on verizon.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I wonder how much you get paid to post this drivel.

KnightWRX had the best post about these types of comments. He believes (paraphrasing) that these posters are actually paid by Apple's competition to make Apple users look silly.

It's an amusing thought...

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Uh?
Why? Because the app store didn't exist? I said apps, not app store, which the original iPhone did come with. It was just shorter for me to write "apps" than to enumerate all the standard apps which people expect to come bundled with a smartphone.
It is not really worth getting into an argument with Sam Craig. It is a form of entertainment for that lot.

The original certainly did meet the criteria of smartphones at the time. It did have "real" email and a "real" browser, "real" calendaring and other features not found on feature phones.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
It is not really worth getting into an argument with Sam Craig. It is a form of entertainment for that lot.

The original certainly did meet the criteria of smartphones at the time. It did have "real" email and a "real" browser, "real" calendaring and other features not found on feature phones.

My Motorla KRZR had ''real'' email, ''real'' calendaring and other features... Did that make it a smartphone? Oh and it also had an online app store GetJar.com

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
My Motorla KRZR had ''real'' email, ''real'' calendaring and other features... Did that make it a smartphone? Oh and it also had an online app store.

Engadget didn't think the original iPhone was a smartphone either.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-iphone-is-not-a-smartphone/

It's a matter of opinion. And like I said - I didn't think my comment would be a popular one. That doesn't make my opinion any less worthy than others.

Regardless - Apple's sales lead in the US is impressive. Not too surprising - but impressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.