Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
So what are you going to do when Apple increases the physical size of the iPhone, or do you think they will keep and only offer the same size for the next 5, 10, 15, 20+ years?
I have no idea what the future holds and will make no claim of knowing. I would have to adjust. Or see what the competition is offering. We'll see. I've used larger phones before. They just don't feel right.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Engadget didn't think the original iPhone was a smartphone either.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-iphone-is-not-a-smartphone/

It's a matter of opinion. And like I said - I didn't think my comment would be a popular one. That doesn't make my opinion any less worthy than others.

Regardless - Apple's sales lead in the US is impressive. Not too surprising - but impressive.

Most dumbphones had ''more'' features than the iPhone when it first came out.

- Video camera
- MMS
- Third Party Apps (Opera and Google were very popular)

The main difference between dumbphones and iPhones were:

- Browser
- iPod functionality

Two functions that usually does not define a smartphone. So your statement/opinion is correct.

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
I wear a tailored suit or professional slacks, not cargo pants or shorts like you likely wear. You see, not everyone who wears clothes that fit are in "latex hot pants." I just don't like to look like an unprofessional slob. Also, in case you missed the memo, there ARE two iphone sizes. Iphone 4/4S and iPhone5 are both out and have different sized screens.

I wear tailored suits and professional slacks everyday, I've never had a problem putting any sized touchscreen phone in my pockets (front or back), in fact the other day went to lunch with a co-worker who had just purchased the Note II and she asked me to hold onto it while she visited the restroom, I put it in my front pants pocket and I had plenty of room for my hand to reach in and grab it, it didn't stick out and it also did not look like I was happy to see her

granted I am 6' 2"

also what a douchey assumption on your part

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Both are too small for a good proportion of the market. I dont wear cargo pants or shorts either. I dont think you have put a larger phone in your pocket 4.8" phone you wont notice any more.

I have. I actually think the iPhone is ever so slightly too big, (at the same time as the screen is too small).
I think the point at which things become to big/heavy is when they are uncomfortable to run with.
Yeah it fits in my pocked but is ever so slightly uncomfortable when sitting, probably a combination of weight and size. If it's not the only item in my pocket things are worse.
If they made the whole screen stretch to the both horizontal and vertical edges and about as big as the current overall IP4, (no, I don't know where they'd fit the mic or home button), I'd be happy.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I wear tailored suits and professional slacks everyday, I've never had a problem putting any sized touchscreen phone in my pockets (front or back), in fact the other day went to lunch with a co-worker who had just purchased the Note II and she asked me to hold onto it while she visited the restroom, I put it in my front pants pocket and I had plenty of room for my hand to reach in and grab it, it didn't stick out and it also did not look like I was happy to see her

granted I am 6' 2"

also what a douchey assumption on your part

Don't forget, people wearing tailored suits never used smartphones like the Treo or older Blackberry models before the iPhone because they were too big!

:p

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Define SmartPhone

My Motorla KRZR had ''real'' email, ''real'' calendaring and other features... Did that make it a smartphone? Oh and it also had an online app store GetJar.com

It's not easy to define a smartphone:
I would even argue that the BlackBerry was not a smart phone in 2007 when the iPhone arrived.
In my opinion a smartphone should have:
  • Touch Screen
  • App Store
  • A Full Internet Browser
  • Gyroscopes
  • WiFi Radio
  • GPS
  • Gigs of Storage
  • Fast CPU
  • Camera cable of Video

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
It's not easy to define a smartphone:
I would even argue that the BlackBerry was not a smart phone in 2007 when the iPhone arrived.
In my opinion a smartphone should have:
  • Touch Screen
  • App Store
  • A Full Internet Browser
  • Gyroscopes
  • WiFi Radio
  • GPS
  • Gigs of Storage
  • Fast CPU
  • Camera cable of Video

So basically you're saying the iPhone 3G was the first smartpone? :confused:

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
I prefer to have something fit in my pocket. I do find it ironic how many Europeans complain about America's oversized waistlines, cars, homes, and televisions, yet you posted this.

I do find it funny how Americans believe Europeans can't have different opinions about America's oversized waistlines.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I didn't know phones provided by work suddenly stopped working when you went to lunch, took a break or left the building.

Thanks for clearing that up! :D

The post I replied to made it sound like large screen phones are for business and smaller ones are for fun but then seemed to reverse it in the same post. I did not make any statement about how a work phone should be used.

----------

wow, people actually think the 1st iPhone was a smartphone?
Steve Jobs told them it was, so yes, a lot of people thought it was.

----------

So basically you're saying the iPhone 3G was the first smartpone? :confused:
I would agree with that. Once the Mail app could be setup with Exchange and you could load 3rd party software.

But of course, this is just my opinion and you will NOT find a standard definition of "Smartphone"

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Most dumbphones had ''more'' features than the iPhone when it first came out.

- Video camera
- MMS
- Third Party Apps (Opera and Google were very popular)

The main difference between dumbphones and iPhones were:

- Browser
- iPod functionality

Two functions that usually does not define a smartphone. So your statement/opinion is correct.

Other then video, all these things could be done on the first phone, Apple just didn't do them, expect 3rd party apps came about ~8 months later....

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
I live in the UK and a lot of people here are ditching the iphone as the screen is way to small, im sure its only a few but the screen issue is becoming a fact of life.

I live in the UK too, and I'm seeing a lot of people getting iPhones, both as upgrades and as first-time purchases. Interestingly, quite a few are buying them outright rather than going with a network. I have been using iPhone since it was introduced on a non-iPhone rolling contract.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Regarding this whole "original iPhone not being a smartphone" thing, the limitations weren't with the phone, but with the software. The original retired with iOS 3.1.3 - fully capable of MMS, Exchange, the App Store, Calendaring, music playing, picture taking and web browsing - all in color with screen quality comparable to your standard TVs. That sounds like a smartphone to me.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
I've played with a Note 2 and an iPhone 5, and I must say the Note 2 is far superior to the iPhone.

To all of you who think you can't use the phone with one hand, you can, they have a setting "One Handed Operation" that switches the keyboard down and to the left/right depending on if you're right or left handed.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Makes sense. After the huge 4 quarter apple had. Remains to see if android will recover.

They have lowered the price of the sgIII since they can't go head to head with the 199 cost.

Lol they lowered the price on a couple carriers because its almost a year old, a shame how the iphone is always playing catchup to the galaxy

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
What I'm always surprised about in these iOS/Android comparisons is that no one mentions the overall connectivity between the phone to their other devices. I think the Apple family of products still has a long way to go but it's a great start. My girlfriend loves how photo stream works to her iPad. I love being able to stream my music to the Apple TV which is hooked up to my home theatre sound system. We both like being able to AirPlay internet videos from our iPads even though we probably don't do it that often. If I had a newer iMac I'd be able to seamlessly AirPlay Mirror all my movies and TV shows I download to my TV through the Apple TV instead of using my PS3 to do it right now. Maybe Android can do all these or most of these things but I think people don't appreciate that all the Apple products connect pretty well together, and it's only going to get better.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
I live in the UK and a lot of people here are ditching the iphone as the screen is way to small, im sure its only a few but the screen issue is becoming a fact of life.
I agree, 4" it's too small for a smart phone these days. Not smart enough.

I tried Galaxy Note and that is a bit too big at 5.5" though still very nice.

But 4.8" Galaxy S3 is a sweet spot for me size wise: the soft keyboard is large enough, you can read ebooks easily, browse sites easier and it is still very pocketable though I use belt holster.

If Apple wants to compete, they need to offer 2 or even 3 sizes: 4", 4.8", 5.5" phablet. And they need to do it fast. Consumer likes choice and everyone has different needs/preferences. I guess the problem is that the "pixel-perfect" iOS does not handle various sizes very well. iOS needs to be rewritten to handle fluid layouts and various screen sizes. Otherwise, you have that "fragmentation". Apple is stuck with it. Apple rushed to the market with original iPhone with OS which is not future-proof. reset iOS update is only partially addresses the issue with "auto-layouts".

On contrary, Android OS works with various screen ratios/sizes, even with tablets, digital cameras and refrigerator displays. Smart enough.

Last edited:

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Unfortunately Android will overtake the market cause carriers give them away for free. However I wish all those Android users would just use an iPhone once and realize it is worth the money!

I think it's the opposite. In the US, where phones are subsidized, high-end iPhones (5) and Androids (S3) are the same price where outside the US, the iPhone is more expensive. So, in fact, the US carriers are actually subsidizing the iPhone more than Androids so they are actually cheaper here (and a better deal?) in the US than they should be.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Good for you, but Android isn't going to die off or anything, you're only going to feel more pressure to put your apps on "that other platform".

Ie. you may not like Android, but it's just going to get more difficult to ignore it.

I didn't say it'll die. Android will stay around for the foreseeable future, but it's unfocused nature will continue to limit its developer support. The user base is also unfavorable. I've never heard of anyone facing consumer demand to port to Android - it's just something you do once your app proves to be successful on the App Store. There's a very good reason that it's always App Store->Google Play, and never *anything else*->App Store.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I have no idea what the future holds and will make no claim of knowing. I would have to adjust. Or see what the competition is offering. We'll see. I've used larger phones before. They just don't feel right.

So (if I get this straight) what you are in effect saying is the current size of the new iPhone5 is perfect.

The size of the iPhone 1 to 4 (I'm guessing) was in your mind perfect too, and any future larger phone Apple makes, will also be the perfect size.

Well, that clears that up then ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Regarding this whole "original iPhone not being a smartphone" thing, the limitations weren't with the phone, but with the software. The original retired with iOS 3.1.3 - fully capable of MMS, Exchange, the App Store, Calendaring, music playing, picture taking and web browsing - all in color with screen quality comparable to your standard TVs. That sounds like a smartphone to me.

Seems a bit obvious though. Of course it came down to software. What's the iPhone without its OS. Or any smart or feature phone.

Apps = software
Email = software
MMS = software

etc.

At launch, my opinion (which others share and others don't) the Original iPhone was not a smartphone but a feature phone. It wasn't until (for me) it had an appstore (3rd party apps); MMS and Exchange email that I considered the iPhone a true Smartphone. Until then - for me - it was a really slick feature phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.