Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I know there is no "correct" way to do it, but how do you and the people you're around text?
I mostly text on my desktop computer. Even on the iPhone I don't text using only one way.

Do whatever works for you. I have no idea what others around me do.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Mostly two hands in portrait. Sometimes one hand in portrait if I don't mind taking a little extra time to type the message. I rarely type in landscape since I seem to end up with more spelling errors when I try to do that.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I avoid texting on my iPhone with it's tiny screen.

It makes me appreciate my SGS III even more, since I'm very fast with two hands, in the landscape mode. The vertical space is so much greater that I have lots of room to work. Accuracy, speed, and room are the distinct advantages of a larger display.

Too bad Apple decided to restrict iPhone 5 to one half of an upgrade via a longer yet equally narrow display. In landscape the vertical space is exactly the same as their tiny 3.5" predecessors...

What was Apple thinking ? :eek:

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Interesting thread/topic.

I've noticed that a lot of people use 2 hands in portrait. I must have giant hands cause this just feels too odd to me... I'm 90% in landscape with 2 hands (thumbs) and 10% portrait with one...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This is a serious question:

I just got my first iPhone and I was wondering, how do most people text?

1) Using 1 hand in portrait
2) Using 2 hands in portrait
3) Using 2 hands in landscape

I know there is no "correct" way to do it, but how do you and the people you're around text?

Portrait mode. Hold it with the left hand and type with the right.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
It depends on the situation sometimes portrait with both thumbs, for a longer message I'll do landscape.

People who find 2 thumbs awkward obviously didn't grow up on video games.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Most of the time I type like option two but sometimes if I'm sitting with my arm propped up I will type with my left thumb and right index finger.

davidearney

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
2 thumbs portrait most of the time. One hand portrait some of the time. Siri a very small percentage of the time.

al0513

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2011
One hand port.

I've got it down to where I do not even need to look at the screen.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
One hand port.

I've got it down to where I do not even need to look at the screen.

I can sometimes do this but never without some sort of mistake in there.

I saw other people mention Siri. I use that in my car as well. It's been great so far!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
One hand, portrait. Often using my index finger (I'm actually pretty fast at it).

Occasionally I might go with the two-thumbs method, portrait, blackberry-style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.