Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I have my own white iPad 2 as stated in my signature. But my mother ( yes I still live with my parents I'm 19 ) has been using my iPad so much lately we have to literally fight over it. So I finally bit the bullet and for Christmas I decided to get her OWN iPad 2. I decided to get her a second gen similar to mine w/o 3G. Do you guys still think the iPad 2 is a good buy for $319 refurbished? She doesn't do much a game here and there a little bit of web browsing facebook I'm trying to get her into digital books she loves to read.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
I would've gotten her a 1st gen iPad but $319 is a good price.

I was in the same boat but my mom now has a iPhone 4S so she doesn't need my iPad lol

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I didn't realize the 2nd Gens were $319 refurb'ed that a really solid price.

I guess I'd seriously consider the Mini for only $10 more (new). It has a better front and rear camera, improved WiFi, Siri, even slightly better pixel density (164 vs. 132).

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Women these days.. They're never pleased!

>.< Tell me about it thats why I'm single lol

----------

I didn't realize the 2nd Gens were $319 refurb'ed that a really solid price.

I guess I'd seriously consider the Mini for only $10 more (new). It has a better front and rear camera, improved WiFi, Siri, even slightly better pixel density (164 vs. 132).

I don't like the iPad mini. I know she wouldn't either. Those are all minor things she most likely wouldn't notice. I would though. iPad mini doesn't exist in my world. And yeah the screen is bigger :p If I wanted her to have all that I would have gotten her either a third or 4th gen. But I think a 2nd gen is perfect.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I don't like the iPad mini. I know she wouldn't either. Those are all minor things she most likely wouldn't notice. I would though. iPad mini doesn't exist in my world. And yeah the screen is bigger :p If I wanted her to have all that I would have gotten her either a third or 4th gen. But I think a 2nd gen is perfect.

I just figured when you said this:

She defiantly would want the camera she LOVES taking pictures.

That using a Mini for pics would be better: 1) superior camera, 2) easier to use-as-a-camera form factor.

Sounds like you've got it figured out though, enjoy :)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...That using a Mini for pics would be better: 1) superior camera, 2) easier to use-as-a-camera form factor.

I agree with this. If I were getting an iPad for someone who will use the cameras a lot, I would choose the Mini over the 2. The Mini's back camera is significantly better than the one on the 2. If she is the type to be self-conscious in public, the Mini will look less out-of-place as a camera.

Then again, the larger screen is better for aging eyesight.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
for an extra $60 you could get the iPad 3 16GB wifi with the Retina display. to me, that's definitely worth it in my opinion.

the $379 iPad 3 16GB wifi refurb i think is the best deal to be had right now for iPads

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I am afraid your mommy might not be pleased with ipad 3 for two obviously reasons...you say your mommy love to read then she will complain "why is ipad 3 is bit too heavy to hold with my fragile hands?" and Second reason is She will think "why is ipad 3 so hot while holding with bare hands?"

I might want to add... ipad 3 charge time takes forever you want to hear your mommy fussy again? Think about it, fella! :apple:

KennySmith

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
I have my own white iPad 2 as stated in my signature. But my mother ( yes I still live with my parents I'm 19 ) has been using my iPad so much lately we have to literally fight over it. So I finally bit the bullet and for Christmas I decided to get her OWN iPad 2. I decided to get her a second gen similar to mine w/o 3G. Do you guys still think the iPad 2 is a good buy for $319 refurbished? She doesn't do much a game here and there a little bit of web browsing facebook I'm trying to get her into digital books she loves to read.

$319 for 16gb or 32gb?? 32gb is good deal... 16gb....not really

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
I am afraid your mommy might not be pleased with ipad 3 for two obviously reasons...you say your mommy love to read then she will complain "why is ipad 3 is bit too heavy to hold with my fragile hands?" and Second reason is She will think "why is ipad 3 so hot while holding with bare hands?"

I might want to add... ipad 3 charge time takes forever you want to hear your mommy fussy again? Think about it, fella! :apple:

I don't notice the weight difference btw my iPad 2 and 3. BOTH are too heavy for extended reading. I also don't notice the heat issue. No big deal at all.

I agree the battery charging is noticeably longer on the 3... but I charge it overnight and it has not at all impacted my use of the device compared to the 2. In short, another non-issue.

With all that said, I would not buy an iPad 2 at this point. For this lower budget, I would get either the refurb or used 3 or a mini.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012

I heard the retina display was better for reading.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Because the screen is larger.

No lie. Within 15 minutes of each other, three different folks walking into an Apple store yesterday seeing the mini for the first time each thought it would be smaller. :D

----------

The 16GB iPad 3 has not been available for some time now.

I know because I missed the boat on that one. :mad:

I found one of this those at BB about two or three weeks ago. It was my first shot at trying an iPad and there weren't Minis anywhere near me so I bought that 3rd gen. It was new, not returned or refurb.

Prost264

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
I found one of this those at BB about two or three weeks ago. It was my first shot at trying an iPad and there weren't Minis anywhere near me so I bought that 3rd gen. It was new, not returned or refurb.

Ended up going with an iPad 2 refurb. The bigger size (which I wanted) and $10 cheaper than the Mini. Perfect for me.

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Ended up going with an iPad 2 refurb. The bigger size (which I wanted) and $10 cheaper than the Mini. Perfect for me.

Good choice! In all honesty I still think the iPad 2 is great given what Apple has to offer now. Still beats a lot of those horrible android tablets. I love my iPad 2 with ATT nothing on these new iPads have yet to sell me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.