Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I thought i would make a quick post stating my thoughts on refurbished phones because lately iv seen alot of complaints about people having faulty products and refusing to replace because they dont want a refurbished product.

I have been the owner of 2 refurbished products, a Time Capsule and an Ipad and I can honestly tell you theres nothing to worry about. They perform exactly same and is nigh on impossible to tell they have been refurbished.

Also - and this is my most important point - refurbished phones are probably more stable then brand new models as refurbished ones go through lengthy testing before and after they get patched up. Your almost guaranteed to get a 'perfect' product with a refurb.

Thats just my 2 cents on this : )

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My wife and I have had our refurb iPhone's for almost two years at this point. They have been great and came in excellent condition.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
True, there's nothing wrong with refurbs, but it does kind of suck to bring in a device that craps out at 1 month and get a rebuilt replacement instead of a new one.

As for buying refurb stuff from Apple, nothing wrong there either but IMO the price of the refurb is so close to the price of a new one you may as well just get the new one, which will help with resale value if you have the original box, etc.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Got a refurb MacBook pro once. It had problems. A week after receiving it they wanted me to send it to service to find out what the cause of the problems was. I disagreed that this was the correct course of action so they sent me a new one to replace it. I'd still buy a refurb item but wouldn't say that "there is nothing wrong" with all refurbs. Something can always go wrong.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I thought i would make a quick post stating my thoughts on refurbished phones because lately iv seen alot of complaints about people having faulty products and refusing to replace because they dont want a refurbished product.

I have been the owner of 2 refurbished products, a Time Capsule and an Ipad and I can honestly tell you theres nothing to worry about. They perform exactly same and is nigh on impossible to tell they have been refurbished.

Also - and this is my most important point - refurbished phones are probably more stable then brand new models as refurbished ones go through lengthy testing before and after they get patched up. Your almost guaranteed to get a 'perfect' product with a refurb.

Thats just my 2 cents on this : )

I had a refurb iPad 1 which was perfect. My wife submerged her iPhone 4 out of warranty and they sold us a low cost refurb, and it is still perfect to this day.

When you consider what Apple does to the refurbs - new casings, new batteries - you really can't go wrong. If the internals are sound, they tend to stay that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.