Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
The Seven Phases of a Project.

1. Enthusiasm
  2. Planning
  3. Disallusionment
  4. Fear and Panic
  5. Search for the Guilty
  6. Punishment of the Innocent
  7. Praise and Honors for the Non-Participants
This is great! I haven't seen this list since the early days of IT.

It is just as true today.

marmotmammal

macrumors member
Williamson probably doesn't have any trade secrets to uphold, so he's gone right away. But Forestall:

"...iOS chief Scott Forstall will be leaving the company next year and his responsibilities have been delegated to other executives."

He probably remains on the payroll and receives hush money and slapped with legalese to not use his secrets until they're obsolete in a year or two. Whereas Williamson might be able to work elsewhere since he's an unknown, Forestall was such a Jobsboy the only other boss he had in his entire life was Cook, and look what happened. Apple is such a game.

indros

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Are maps actually improving?

I keep hearing lots of stories about people being fired/hired to improve maps. Any first-hand accounts of improvements? Data?

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Maps has failed numerous times for me.

The latest was just wanting to get directions for an 8 mile trip from my house to a store. It should have been fairly simple. Maps plotted a route that was about 28 miles, it appeared to circle back at one point. and then ended at a destination that was about 11 miles away from the actual destination and in the wrong direction from the start point.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Is Apple _really_ asleep at the wheel, as it appears?

And I don't mean the timing of this firing, but HELLO APPLE? Maps... the entire idea was such a waste just so that they could brag that Apple had created their own maps.

What is Apple up to?

Do they know?

Are they really that full of themselves?

What a bizarre way for a once world class company to operate.

Apple messes up once. TOTAL ****ING DISASTER DOOMSDAY MAYANS WERE RIGHT CLUSTER****.

Meanwhile, Apple designs the first laptop with a retina melting 2880x1800 screen resolution just like nerds were frothing at the mouth for. WHERE IS MY OPTICAL DRIVE!? STEVE JOBS WOULD HAVE KEPT IT.

Apple just can't seem to win with some people.

manoman

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
TomTom

I made the HUGE mistake of going from Garmin to Tom Tom recently and I found TomTom's maps to be incredibly inaccurate here in the UK. Perhaps that is the problem

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Sad to watch people call "dooms day" over a couple missteps. It seems like if Apple doesn't blow everyone away with something over the top amazing it's the beginning of the end.

Apple Maps is not perfect, but it seems like these recent missteps have been a reminder to Apple of the quality we expect... a good thing in the long run.

I understand where you're coming from and I hope to feel the same way again.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
One would hope so, it tells me my nearest pub is 47 miles away. Anyone living in the UK knows this is impossible.

miles or pubs?

----------

I made the HUGE mistake of going from Garmin to Tom Tom recently and I found TomTom's maps to be incredibly inaccurate here in the UK. Perhaps that is the problem

It's like that everywhere. Back in 07 when I bought my first navigation unit for my car I foolishly chose Tom Tom. A month or so later I got a garmin. Never looked back since. As soon as I heard Tom Tom was going to be helping develop apple maps, I had a feeling it wouldn't be a good product.

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
Apple Maps is fine if you want to go from point A to point B and see the roads. Google Maps can do that too, it just has a lot more detail like small side roads, park pathways, terrain mapping, bicycle and public transit mapping and the ability to save maps.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Mark Papermaster was fired over the iPhone 4. Try to keep up.

I thought that problem didn't exist...:rolleyes:

----------

Apple Maps is fine if you want to go from point A to point B and see the roads. Google Maps can do that too, it just has a lot more detail like small side roads, park pathways, terrain mapping, bicycle and public transit mapping and the ability to save maps.

Not quite....sometimes apple maps will label point Z as point B. This is why everyone is so upset over how bad it is.

lobster68w

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Time to un$%#$ yourself Apple. Patch it and put Google maps back. Show that you really do care about your customers.

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
I thought that problem didn't exist...:rolleyes:

----------

Not quite....sometimes apple maps will label point Z as point B. This is why everyone is so upset over how bad it is.

Oh really? Ive only played around with my gf's iPhone5 maps and compared them to my android google maps. It seemed fine just google shows a lot of detail where apple will put a green sploch for a park.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Time to un$%#$ yourself Apple. Patch it and put Google maps back. Show that you really do care about your customers.

What was so good about Gmaps with no turn by turn, when you are driving? Seems a little dangerous to be using it, and having to see which turn is next, by holding the phone, and pressing buttons while driving? :rolleyes:

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Tom Tom

On my experience Maps in US works fine, but outside US is a totally joke, and is difficult to me to understand why, if Tom Tom delivered the maps to Apple why they don't work?
My $49 USD Tom Tom GPS works great on my car but maps on the iPhone not. The info on both devices are totally different, maps have 10X less information.

Hopefully google will release a proper app.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
1. I actually really like Apple Maps. I love the look of them and I especially appreciate the turn-by-turn navigation, with Siri telling me where to go. Sure - it has not been flawless, but the errors have been minor for me. For example, if I miss my turn, it might instruct me to make a u-turn at the next intersection, even though there's a sign saying no u-turn.

2. I think it's good to zoom in on the overview before proceeding, to make sure the route it has planned for you is what you want to do.

3. There are times when I am using the turn-by-turn feature when I would like to be able to drag the map a little ways to see what's coming up. You can tap the screen and go to overview, but then you are zoomed way back out to see the entire route. I just want to be able to peek ahead a little.

4. As for incorrect data, I have a friend who lives in Manhattan and when I look up his address on the map, the pin appears in the middle of the block instead of on the corner where it should be. I have reported this error a few times since Apple Maps came out and it's still wrong. Has anyone seen reported errors corrected yet?

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Apple messes up once. TOTAL ****ING DISASTER DOOMSDAY MAYANS WERE RIGHT CLUSTER****.

Meanwhile, Apple designs the first laptop with a retina melting 2880x1800 screen resolution just like nerds were frothing at the mouth for. WHERE IS MY OPTICAL DRIVE!? STEVE JOBS WOULD HAVE KEPT IT.

Apple just can't seem to win with some people.

You're holding it wrong.

dandy1117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
It's not just about this one restaurant or street that is displayed wrongfully, it's about the whole experience.

Maps are not easy, they have to offer multiple functions. Mapping data has to be 100% correct, POI's have to be good and this all has to have an intuitive and clean interface. It has to give you a lotof information without looking for it. It has to feel like a natural experience, finding and exploring things shouldn't take an effort, and Apple Maps just takes more efforts than Google Maps. Even if Apple Maps shows all the streets and POI's correctly, there is still the problem of rendering (narrow streets, POI's as circles, few details when zoomed out).

Here's a challenge: suppose Apple took ALL data directly from Google, including POI's, do you still think Apple Maps would be on par in terms of quality with Google Maps? No. It's still lacking this clear, clean and intuitive look that Google Maps has. It's the whole package that makes it inferior to Google Maps.

Even if all satelite views, POI's and street names are correct, you still end up with this:

The lack of detail sucks.

I've seen this kind of post before with snapshots at the same zoom level. With Apple Maps, you need to zoom in to get more detail. Like it or hate it, it means that maps are clear and clutter free until you zoom in for more detail. Here is a zoomed in shot at a portion of the map you've posted.

Attachments

• Photos-2.jpg
    Photos-2.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 82

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
1. I actually really like Apple Maps. I love the look of them and I especially appreciate the turn-by-turn navigation, with Siri telling me where to go. Sure - it has not been flawless, but the errors have been minor for me. For example, if I miss my turn, it might instruct me to make a u-turn at the next intersection, even though there's a sign saying no u-turn.

I like that, and how if you minimize it, it still gives you directions up top, where the time is. If your phone screen is turned off, it turns on to show the next turn and then goes off again. Those small conveniences are great to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.