Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjcskier

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
For those of you that disagree with me or are feeling like you need to fight back:

Do you really think that it's okay to get a product out of the box that has cosmetic flaws? You're okay with paying for something and having something wrong from the start?

It doesn't make sense to me. FYI, I continue to be one of the biggest supporters of Apple. Just feel like they need to get their act together.

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
everything thing you can buy in this world will have units that come off the line damaged. Cars, phones everything.

Fact of life. Whining on these forums will never change that.

Unless your buying full price the subsidized cost for the iphone is the same as most other top smart phones with the exception of the 64 gb so i wouldn't call it a premium.

Most people post are on forums when they have issues or problems. Most people don't not say "wow i love this phone so much and it is so perfect i better join a forum to tell everyone in thread format".

If you get a defection product exchange it period. Don't whine don't complain unless the company will not help you which apple clearly helps everyone so there's no problem. If its such a problem for you that you have to open a thread to complain and attempt to justify yourself then guess what buy something else and move on. Simple.

But i have seen more "perfect" phones than not so i would say their quality control is just fine. Stop whining,stop opening threads to complain on issues others have done already. Your not telling us something others have not already stated.

+1 :d

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
For those of you that disagree with me or are feeling like you need to fight back:

Do you really think that it's okay to get a product out of the box that has cosmetic flaws? You're okay with paying for something and having something wrong from the start?

It doesn't make sense to me. FYI, I continue to be one of the biggest supporters of Apple. Just feel like they need to get their act together.

Well thank The Lord you took to the Internet to cry to heavens above over a phone. As i stated. If your is damaged exchange it. Now if apple refused then complain sure. But they continue to fix customer issues and exchange and replace phones so whats the issue.

Also by you continuing to argue about people's responses because they don't jump on your band wagon proves everyones point. Move on.

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012

No, it's not OK. But the thing is, there are tons of people who have been getting flawless phones...and many people who are posting about flaws are purposely looking for a flaw to exchange and exchange until they get a "perfect" phone. These people will probably never know when to stop. And even if you think you're getting something "perfect" (this goes for anything, not just this phone...I'm sure the iPod touches and iMacs would have "flaws" according to some people), there is most likely going to be something "wrong" with it like a nick, scratch, etc. Mine is "perfect" but someone like you would find 50+ things "wrong" with it. But the "flaws" mine have don't keep me from using and enjoying the phone.

If you have dead pixels or a faulty camera or something serious like that, YES, get it exchanged. But many of the posters here have a tiny scratch or nick that they can only see at a certain angle under a specific type of light...

Johnnygogo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
The thing is, I have only seen the issue on the forums. In real life I know over a dozen people with the iphone 5 and zero have nicks, scratches, or defects. I really think the forums make it seem way more of an issue than it really is. You will find this with any launch of this magnitude.

this. there are 8 people i work with and my wife. all with iphones. all perfect. or we just dont notice anything and we are all just extremely happy we have the means to purchase such products.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
You're right, it's not OCD. OCD is a medical condition, what you have here is petulant whining by spoiled people who should open a window a window once in a while and realize that a cell phone is a tool, not a piece of priceless art that needs to wrapped in rubber and covered in plastic to use.

Well said!!! :D:D:D

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010

I agree with you, although it appears most in this thread don't. My iPhone 5 arrived slightly scuffed, which bothered me but I decided not to return it. That was until I realized that the LTE didn't work. So I returned the phone and Apple agreed it was a defective phone. I got another phone from the store, activated it, and found out the sleep/wake button didn't work WHILE STILL IN THE STORE. I had it replaced and the Apple employee was really embarrassed. My wife's phone had home button issues straight out of the box. So we returned it and the Apple employee tried telling me " I wasn't touching the home button correctly". His manager disagreed and I walked out with a new phone. I will never leave Apple, I buy all their products, but I've been majorly disappointed with some of the issues I've had with the iPhone 5. When returning my phone I was talked into an iPad mini, so maybe these issues are just a conspiracy to just get me in the store....

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011

Yes. It is PERFECTLY acceptable. Why? Because I have every right NOT to buy it, and/or return it/swap it for another if I so choose.

There IS NO PROBLEM. Satisfaction numbers are still off the chart (even with "mapgate" and "scuffgate"). They sell out so fast you still need to reserve one the night before MONTHS after launch, and wait WEEKS for one to be shipped (although that may be easing).

If they were selling like crap, people were complaining non-stop (they AREN'T, this is just a forum where BS like "defective anodized coating that wipes off with a mocrofiber cloth" comes off as "truth"), then you may have a point. But they aren't, and you don't.

If you don't like the condition of your phone: RETURN IT. If you don't like any: BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

We are becoming so whiny and entitled that it's not even worth mentioning that a phone will show signs of use anyway... I swear some people must lock them up in display cases and just gaze at them from 6 feet away...

Use it, don't, whatever... THERE IS NO PROBLEM.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
yes. It is perfectly acceptable. Why? Because i have every right not to buy it, and/or return it/swap it for another if i so choose.

There is no problem. Satisfaction numbers are still off the chart (even with "mapgate" and "scuffgate"). They sell out so fast you still need to reserve one the night before months after launch, and wait weeks for one to be shipped (although that may be easing).

If they were selling like crap, people were complaining non-stop (they aren't, this is just a forum where bs like "defective anodized coating that wipes off with a mocrofiber cloth" comes off as "truth"), then you may have a point. But they aren't, and you don't.

If you don't like the condition of your phone: Return it. If you don't like any: Buy something else.

We are becoming so whiny and entitled that it's not even worth mentioning that a phone will show signs of use anyway... I swear some people must lock them up in display cases and just gaze at them from 6 feet away...

Use it, don't, whatever... There is no problem.

+1

cpc12

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
I've had several new iPhones. All were flawless, never once had any issues cosmetically.

But.... If I did I would not be pleased at all.

I have not seen any damaged i5s yet but I would expect a perfect specimen every time.

These phones are over priced but I'm ok with that, you want cutting edge tech your gonna pay for it...

I assume a lot of these complaints are false or due to neglect.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
1. Materials choice - the aluminum choices made for the iPhone 5 are simply poor. Figure out a way to better coat/color the aluminum and most of the discussion on imperfections would go away because it wouldn't be an issue
You can't just make Aluminium impervious, same with paint. It's going to wear. Stop being a ****ing baby and get over it.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
It's not at all uncommon to find a small flaw or 2 on a product, even some very expensive ones, I do think Apple products get scrutinized closer than most products, and many of the disgruntled, unhappy owners are far too picky, that being said, I do think many are having issues that are unacceptable, and I do think Apple's QC on the 5 is initially a little worse than prior launched new designs. It's both really, some are too picky, but there do seem to be an unusual number of issues being reported, even allowing for the typical Internet skew.

Mine had a tiny scuff, don't care. I do care about the erratic wifi performance, but I'm hopeful it'll be addressed in the next few updates. At the end of the day, it's just a smartphone that I'll be upgrading when the 5s comes out anyway. :)

bjcskier

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
From user gitkua - posted today - from another thread. 60% chance of a your iPhone 5 being imperfect right out of the box:

I just got of the phone with an Senior Customer Relations agent after my fifth replacement came scratched and dented.

Long story short; he told me to wait it out and asked my if I was ok with using this phone for a month or two, and swap it out for a new one at the beginning of next year. He admitted Apple is most certainly aware of the problems and that they're hard at work trying to resolve the problems. He also told me he could swap it out right now again, but that he's not confident the next replacement will be good. He even mentioned a 60% chance that the replacement would be scuffed or scratched, although he added he didn't like to admit it.

A couple of things I take away from this;
- Apple IS aware of the issue
- The scratches and dents are NOT normal
- He must be aware of changes going on in production as he literally mentioned the "end of january".
- A significant percentage of iPhones are getting scratched or dented in production.

I read a lot of people saying the reports are being too dramatic and exaggerated, but I think this is simply not true. Of course; most people posting on an Apple forum are going to look over every inch of their device and will post when there is something wrong. But there are loads of people who probably don't even notice the defects. There are probably a whole lot more scuffed iPhones than reported.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
The thing is, I have only seen the issue on the forums. In real life I know over a dozen people with the iphone 5 and zero have nicks, scratches, or defects. I really think the forums make it seem way more of an issue than it really is. You will find this with any launch of this magnitude.

I think there are bad batches. All 3 Apple stores in my area in different cities have replacement phones with interlacing screens. I had to call Apple and tell them about my problem before they agreed to send a brand new retail box phone from China. Should arrive by tomorrow.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think there are bad batches. All 3 Apple stores in my area in different cities have replacement phones with interlacing screens. I had to call Apple and tell them about my problem before they agreed to send a brand new retail box phone from China. Should arrive by tomorrow.

I thought that issue was software related and 6.0.1 fixed it?

dr2391

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
For those who think that the forums make the problem seem worse, its because people with that problem make the thread and people that have the problem searching for the thread. In real life, the people with the problems can't form groups, online they can. Apple sold millions of iphone 5's. Say 10% have defects, you wouldn't come across that as much in real life than you would online but, that is still 100,000's of phones.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I thought that issue was software related and 6.0.1 fixed it?

Not at all. There are some posts where people thought 6.0.1 fixed it, but then posted again saying it was a false alarm. I've had two phones which I updated to 6.0.1 while they were in my possession, but they were still interlaced.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
I wouldn't accept anything other than a flawless perfect phone from APPLE out of the box no matter what I paid. With that said I would NOT go through more than 5 exchanges. After 5 I'd give up , and try back after awhile.

I feel bad for people that keep getting scuffed up ones, it can ruin that experience.

I tried going caseless for the first time tonight & couldnt do it, lol...i put the case back on after wiping down the phone.

I wish I didnt care about fine scuffs & scratches.

*sigh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.