Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I like the new design. All I want is for them to make sure the quality of the product is up to scratch i.e. no yellow screens, no overheating etc. Apple need to step up the quality control of their products because its been ****** in recent years.
You're exactly right. This is what I have been worried about. I can accept a yellow tint on my iPhone ipad or macbook (which i have to varying degrees on each). But not on an iMac. I expect the screem to be perfect this time. This isn't an iToy. Hopefully the individual calibration that Schiller spoke about will cut out QC issues.

edermorisset45

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012

Shop All CategoriesCreative ProBusiness Resource CenterRetail Stores

Apple 21.5" iMac Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory, Two Thunderbolt ports, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse, Ships with OS X Mountain Lion (NEWIMACDUMMY1)

Overview
Technical Specs
Questions & Answers
No Reviews | Add Review
Share Today!

Overview
Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SDRAM, 1TB SATA HDD, 21.5" LED-backlit, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics, Four USB 3 ports, SDXC card slot, Gigabit Ethernet Order Now! Ships in 2-3 weeks

MacMall Part #: 9425077 Manufacturer Part #: NEWIMACDUMMY1 Platform: Macintosh

The new iMac
Performance and design. Taken right to the edge.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Yeah, I agree with that but I get the feeling they have either run out of ideas or just pushed the envelope as far as it can go with this thinness obsession in a desktop.

They need to get back some of that innovative spark - back in the day they would have just come up with a new and kick-ass form-factor.

I agree. But I also think Apple's design path has been to push a design to some ultimate point (thinness, weight, etc) before they move to a new form factor altogether.

It's hard to imagine what else you could do with the design of a large screen and integrated processor, but I'm sure Apple will go down some divergent path for the next iteration.

Cheers.

Master123of

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Germany
Hm worked a few seconds ago. Screenshot:

imac.JPG

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
All I want is for them to make sure the quality of the product is up to scratch i.e. no yellow screens, no overheating etc.

Right... one can only hope...

But if you are ordering the new model now, I'd recommend you arm yourself with a generous dose of hope and patience. IME, in these model changes, specially the ones involving thinner designs and taking the panel setup to new limits, those sort of problems become highly probable.

But hey, don't be discouraged by this - someone has to go first! :D

cheers

JMcN

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Vermont, USA
I am so ready to update my Jan 2006 iMac.

My wife is still using her 2004 20" G5 iMac. It's developed a number of problems... It's definitely time to retire it. I just pre-ordered her a 21.5" 2.9GHz iMac. Will be upgrading the RAM from 8GB to 16, as soon as they can tell me how much that will cost.

In fact, our newest Mac is a 2006 MacBook Pro, which I'm still using, Other than some worn off letters on some key caps, and a swollen battery (which resulted in a mouse button that stayed jammed "on" -- took me quite a while to figure that one out), it's still going strong.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Isn't the bulge at the back of the new iMac as deep as the current iMac? In that case you won't gain any desk space at all.

You wont be able to push the new iMac any further back than the last gen iMac. The stand looks exactly the same and unchanged. The depth of the stand determines how far back you can set the iMac not the size of the screen itself.

The thinner bezel will let you angle it deeper along a corner. I have a dual monitor set up. A 27" in front of me and a 21" to the corner.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
No it isn't. Your just blowing this otherwise minor issue out of proportion.

As I've been saying for months now, just get an external ODD and move on with life. I'm willing to bet less than half of the people who purchase a new iMac now will need the ODD, and that minority will just continue to dwindle.

Lack off ODD is certainly not a deal breaker. Now the new mini? Losing a GPU is a deal breaker. You cant just fix that with some external solution. Huge difference if you know what I mean.

I am looking forward to my new iMac All-In-Two

Lou3000

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
My wife is still using her 2004 20" G5 iMac. It's developed a number of problems... It's definitely time to retire it. I just pre-ordered her a 21.5" 2.9GHz iMac. Will be upgrading the RAM from 8GB to 16, as soon as they can tell me how much that will cost.

In fact, our newest Mac is a 2006 MacBook Pro, which I'm still using, Other than some worn off letters on some key caps, and a swollen battery (which resulted in a mouse button that stayed jammed "on" -- took me quite a while to figure that one out), it's still going strong.

You have almost the identical set up as I do. 2005 G5 iMac (pre-iSight G5) and a 2006 MacBook. Sadly, both computers are still doing remarkably well. The G5 is obviously slow at this point, but it could still be an excellent iTunes/iPhoto media storage center if it weren't for the fact that Apple killed PPC support. Same goes for the MacBook. It is a 2Ghz Core Duo, so it got cut out of the last two OS updates, but for the most part it is running completely fine.

I will be getting this iMac and an iPad with Retina.

Edit: Actually, reading this reminds me of why it is so frustrating to be a Mac user. Not only are they expensive, but Apple is making products obsolete faster than ever before.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Weird. I'm responding to you via my 2005 iMac which I've not brought into service once during its lifetime.

You are fortunate.

My Mom's 2005 iMac has had a ton of gray screen kernel panic issues. She is afraid to turn it on and run anything beyond iTunes 9 because it could die on her at any moment.

I'm glad yours works well. Not everyone is so lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.